• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safety gun safety gun safety... How many times does it have to be said???

Rusty Young Man

Why waste a primer, the pencil works just fine.

:lol: How very thoughtful of both of you.

Quick question: Would my 1911 take well to always (except for cleaning/handling) being stored in Condition 1? I guess the springs shouldn't wear since they won't be compressed and relaxed so often anymore, right?

WalkingWolf

:lol: How very thoughtful of both of you.

Quick question: Would my 1911 take well to always (except for cleaning/handling) being stored in Condition 1? I guess the springs shouldn't wear since they won't be compressed and relaxed so often anymore, right?

I have heard many opinions on this, but my 1911, and Star Super have been stored for years loaded in condition 1. I believe the Star was manufactured somewhere around WW2. Except the recoil spring most of the springs are original. I have had the both of them for 15 years, both function flawlessly. Your mileage may vary though.

I used to keep them in condition 2, but since the wife may use them are started keeping them in condition 1.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

I have heard many opinions on this, but my 1911, and Star Super have been stored for years loaded in condition 1. I believe the Star was manufactured somewhere around WW2. Except the recoil spring most of the springs are original. I have had the both of them for 15 years, both function flawlessly. Your mileage may vary though.

I used to keep them in condition 2, but since the wife may use them are started keeping them in condition 1.

Thanks for letting me know. Switching what is currently a Condition 3-stored 1911 to Condition 1-stored 1911.

Just out of curiosity, about how many rounds have you put through each (I assume you haven't had to replace any besides the recoil spring)?

See, this is one of the reasons I love OCDO. The only other place you can get firsthand experience is gun shows (after coaxing out one guy's opinion on adjustable sights, I decided to follow my instinct and forego buying the Ruger SR1911 and just buy a few more "accessories":D).

WalkingWolf

I never counted, but on the star I bought 2 boxes of surplus, 1 box of alum cased ammo, and then bought 500 casings from starline. All the brass has been reloaded twice now. I would imagine the 1911 I have gone through well over a thousand. When I carried semi autos for the job they were always loaded, and I shot around 200 rounds a month, 100 for practice and function, 100 to qualify. That is not including the every other month night shoots, which is another 100 rounds 6 times a year.

I think if you ask other LEOs you will find they also always keep their sidearms fully loaded, all the time. If you have any doubt replacing all the springs on a 1911 is not that expensive. Wolff springs has all the springs a 1911 uses.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Rusty Young Man