• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terrible Decision

XD45PlusP

Bad decision/opinion by the majority of our SC. The minority Dissent got it right...... Wow

http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/pdf/874484.pdf

Remember these people and vote accordingly!

JUSTICES
--------
Barbara A. Madsen Signed Majority
Charles W. Johnson Signed Dissent of Wiggins, J.
Susan Owens Signed Majority
Mary E. Fairhurst Signed Majority
James M. Johnson Dissent Author
Debra L. Stephens Signed Majority
Charles K. Wiggins Dissent Author
Steven C. González Majority Author
Tom Chambers, Justice Pro Tem. Signed Dissent of Wiggins, J.

XD45PlusP

So if you have to shoot in Self defense, but are arrested and bail out you have to get rid of your firearms or you become a Felon even if you ultimately get acquitted by the jury of the Original charge. How is this NOT a Due Process Violation? We sure do have a lot of IDIOTS in the Legislature and supreme court!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Seems similar to where a protective order is issued and you lose you gun rights ... and this is never even being suspected of having committed a crime. So that goes one step further.

People in robes cannot vote on a right ...

Now, they say its a personal liberty and limited right.

Hence my position: any freeman can own & carry. They a know danger, then they should be locked up. A dangerous person can kill with a hammer as easily as gun.

notalawyer

The first paragraph appears to have been written by an elementary school aged law clerk. Not being familiar with the specifics of WA law, it looks at first glance to be reasonable. The defendant was still under indictment for the original charge? And the subsequent arrest happened about a month after a pre-trial hearing where the law prohibiting his possession of firearms was presented? I still need to go back and read it thoroughly though.

I do have one question: Did the defendant's attorney "take care of it" as indicated in court documents? Did he explain to his client that he could not possess firearms based on the law cited? If not his appeal should have also focused on ineffective counsel.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I'm surprised Wiggins signed on to the dissent.

his entire campaign in 2010 was that he was friendlier to police and prosecutors then Sanders, who he defeated for the seat....

Sheryl McCloud isn't on this decision? shame, she claims she owns guns and shoots, I would've loved to see what she really thinks on a judicial decision.

509rifas

Unless there's something I'm not getting, if you are merely charged with a DV or felony, and you have guns at home in a safe, then they are in your possession since you excercise exclusive dominion over them, you are then a felon, even if the charge is dropped due to exculpatory evidence, such as you were actually the victim of an assault and won the fight.

sudden valley gunner

Unless there's something I'm not getting, if you are merely charged with a DV or felony, and you have guns at home in a safe, then they are in your possession since you excercise exclusive dominion over them, you are then a felon, even if the charge is dropped due to exculpatory evidence, such as you were actually the victim of an assault and won the fight.

Yep, erasing due process. The judges had an opportunity here to protect our rights instead they protected statism.

I noticed their belief the federal 2A is a granted right.....

I noticed their concentration on state rules and policing power contrary to article 1 section 1.

sudden valley gunner

In the decision.

I am feeling generous....so I'll make it easy on you just in case you didn't read the whole case.

Page 9 first paragraph.....

We observed that where the United States
Constitution is a grant of enumerated powers

It is not a grant of limited powers it is a recognition of a preexisting right. I am not surprised though.

Last edited:

deanf

I read the whole thing. I agree with The Court. The people, via the U.S. Constitution, grant or delegate, certain limited powers to the federal government. "We observed that where the United States
Constitution is a grant of enumerated powers"

Your quote from the decision refers not to the Second Amendment specifically (which would really make no sense - people don't have enumerated powers; the federal government does), but to the overall structure of the Federal Constitution. The Court was comparing federal to state constitutions, wherein the later is assumed to be all powerful (plenary) unless specifically restricted.

sudden valley gunner

I read the whole thing. I agree with The Court. The people, via the U.S. Constitution, grant or delegate, certain limited powers to the federal government. "We observed that where the United States
Constitution is a grant of enumerated powers"

Your quote from the decision refers not to the Second Amendment specifically (which would really make no sense - people don't have enumerated powers; the federal government does), but to the overall structure of the Federal Constitution. The Court was comparing federal to state constitutions, wherein the later is assumed to be all powerful (plenary) unless specifically restricted.

The BOR isn't a grant of powers to the U.S. it is a limitation on preexisting rights. And they were talking about the 2A. Tell me where in the 2A does it grant the feds any power.....seems to be a shall not or a limitation.

deanf

And they were talking about the 2A.

There is our sticking point.

If you read the whole paragraph that opens page 9, you will note they refer to Gunwall, A case about cocaine possession - nothing to do with the Second Amendment. They partially quote The Court's reasoning in Gunwall. The quote in question could also be written like so: "We observed (in Gunwall) that where the United States Constitution is a grant of enumerated powers, the Washington Constitution is a limitation on the otherwise plenary power of the state."

You see? That whole paragraph must be read in the context of Gunwall. The Court is establishing a basis for their reasoning in Jorgenson by referring to Gunwall.

Dave_pro2a

[/COLOR] "We observed (in Gunwall) that where the United States Constitution is a grant of enumerated powers, the Washington Constitution is a limitation on the otherwise plenary power of the state."[/COLOR]

Citizens grant the Federal government some limited powers and assigned rights. It used to be by consent, now... not so much.

The State has no plenary powers. It does not even posses the plenary power to exist, unlike real people. If it cannot posses the power to exist (justly anyways), then all powers it has are temporarily assigned.

Courts are wrong more often than they are right.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Citizens grant the Federal government some limited powers and assigned rights. It used to be by consent, now... not so much.

The State has no plenary powers. It does not even posses the plenary power to exist, unlike real people. If it cannot posses the power to exist (justly anyways), then all powers it has are temporarily assigned.

Courts are wrong more often than they are right.

I suppose it depends upon your definition of wrong....

in some abstract moral sense maybe you're right...

in practical sense... well that's a different story.

Dave_pro2a

I suppose it depends upon your definition of wrong....

in some abstract moral sense maybe you're right...

in practical sense... well that's a different story.

So, you are ok with justice being both blind and amoral. Great.

Last edited: