• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Really? (open carry related)

JHART

I have been openly carrying for a few days now. I spotted a guy holstering a revolver in a local sporting goods store. I was open carrying also. I thought it might be nice to have a conversation with someone like minded. I said to him, oh how cool,its nice to see someone else openly carrying. His response in a smart elic tone was "I do it all the time" I asked what revolver he had. He said 357. I said is it a ruger or a smith? He said I believe ruger. Believe????? I asked does it happen to be a gp100,because I own one. He replied with: NOT SURE I ONLY HAD IT A COUPLE WEEKS!!! and with that answer I walked away

Police22

How can someone NOT know what he/she bought/carries/ownes..... WOW!!! :what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Av8r115

How can someone NOT know what he/she bought/carries/ownes..... WOW!!! :what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Some people get the permit purely for SD, and buy whatever gun is recommended by the salesperson or instructor. I know a couple of people who got their permit and for a while all they knew was what ammo to buy and how to safely handle the gun. They learned more eventually through conversations and more instruction.

Jhart said the person was holstering the revolver... I'm wondering why this person had their firearm out of the holster in the first place. Did this take place at the gunsmith counter? Otherwise, I don't think the gun should have been out of the holster.

JHART

Some people get the permit purely for SD, and buy whatever gun is recommended by the salesperson or instructor. I know a couple of people who got their permit and for a while all they knew was what ammo to buy and how to safely handle the gun. They learned more eventually through conversations and more instruction.

Jhart said the person was holstering the revolver... I'm wondering why this person had their firearm out of the holster in the first place. Did this take place at the gunsmith counter? Otherwise, I don't think the gun should have been out of the holster.

No he was wearing the holster with the weapon properly secured in it. Sorry for the confussion!

Maverick9

I have been openly carrying for a few days now. I spotted a guy holstering a revolver in a local sporting goods store. I was open carrying also. I thought it might be nice to have a conversation with someone like minded. I said to him, oh how cool,its nice to see someone else openly carrying. His response in a smart elic tone was "I do it all the time" I asked what revolver he had. He said 357. I said is it a ruger or a smith? He said I believe ruger. Believe????? I asked does it happen to be a gp100,because I own one. He replied with: NOT SURE I ONLY HAD IT A COUPLE WEEKS!!! and with that answer I walked away

Don't be distressed. I'm a nice person but I won't discuss what firearms I have to strangers. If I'm at the range people ask me and I ignore them (usually have plugs and headphones), or say 'i don't discuss what I carry, sorry. Or if pressed I'll say "semi-auto"'.

Back in the old days sure. Now, you mind your own business. I just don't trust people I don't know who might also be armed - nothing personal.

JHART

Don't be distressed. I'm a nice person but I won't discuss what firearms I have to strangers. If I'm at the range people ask me and I ignore them (usually have plugs and headphones), or say 'i don't discuss what I carry, sorry. Or if pressed I'll say "semi-auto"'.

Back in the old days sure. Now, you mind your own business. I just don't trust people I don't know who might also be armed - nothing personal.

Its not like He was walking down the street or was involved in an activity that would make him uncomfortable with my questions. We were both standing at the gun counter waiting to speak with a salesman.

My concern is this:

As an open carrier,I feel as though we are represenitives of the 2nd amendment. The average uneducated citizen,who is curious and may have questions about the local laws concerning the open carry of a firearm, needs their concerns and questions answered.

If this guy was stand offish and rude to me,(another open carrier) then how might He affect the average person asking him the same questions,or just being curious?

I would never push someone away that wanted to talk to me about my firearm. Its a perfect chance to discuss with and educate someone that may be sitting on the fence on how they think and feel about guns, and the ability to use them for legal self defense

eamelhorn

I understand your wondering why another OC'er would not have a civil conversation with you.
Here is a reason, and now a days it's even smarter.
I will use a story from the Old Testament. The Queen of Sheeba heard of the fame and riches of Solomon King of Israel. She came to visit. Solomon was struck with her beauty and grace. He opened all the treasures of Israel and showed her. She went home got an army together and came back defeated and took everything Israel had. Get the point.
People come to visit me, my son and I have a good collection of firearms, old, new, cheap, and costly. Do I show them everything we have. You bet your bottom dollar we DONT.
A man I know had got his CC permit and started carrying. I said good looking firearm, may I see it? Yes, be careful it is loaded. He handed it to me. I said, WOW your easy to disarm. I hope that lesson took.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

He may have just been carrying for his own safety and not related to RKBA. Not everybody is an activist, or wants to be, many people just want to be left alone. Imagine that. I made this statement in another thread numerous times. It is up to each individual person what cross they wish to bear. Expecting others to jump on our cause is not liberty, it is the same thing the state does.

lcsdr60

good advice

I have read several post replies here and some really good advice is being given. I myself am not OC but I do support it openly. My son is OC and has just recently started carrying. He carries due to safety issues and is very familiar with his weapon. I have taught him over the years the need to be safe and to carry with confidence yet never overly confident. I have many many years ago carried but only while i was in uniform or on the job as security officer and even when I got into law enforcement I seldom carried. Those many years ago I did not feel the need or safety issues I see today. I do appreciate the many things I forget about when talking to my son or his friends about OC. The younger generation OC can sometimes be "forgetful" when carrying by paying too much attention to the things around them rather than whatis directly in their faces. Those of us that have trained or been doing it for so long tend to know what to look for are not as open to discuss things of what we consider personal nature. small talk can lead into telling someone what else you have at home the next thing you know your homeisbroken into while your gone or your car or whatever cause you gave this guy enough info that he was able to get to you!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have read several post replies here and some really good advice is being given. I myself am not OC but I do support it openly. My son is OC and has just recently started carrying. He carries due to safety issues and is very familiar with his weapon. I have taught him over the years the need to be safe and to carry with confidence yet never overly confident. I have many many years ago carried but only while i was in uniform or on the job as security officer and even when I got into law enforcement I seldom carried. Those many years ago I did not feel the need or safety issues I see today. I do appreciate the many things I forget about when talking to my son or his friends about OC. The younger generation OC can sometimes be "forgetful" when carrying by paying too much attention to the things around them rather than whatis directly in their faces. Those of us that have trained or been doing it for so long tend to know what to look for are not as open to discuss things of what we consider personal nature. small talk can lead into telling someone what else you have at home the next thing you know your homeisbroken into while your gone or your car or whatever cause you gave this guy enough info that he was able to get to you!

Strange first post - not sure how it is relative to the thread, but I do welcome you to OCDO.

In what capacity were you employed by a LEA?

Glock 1st fan

Strange first post - not sure how it is relative to the thread, but I do welcome you to OCDO.

In what capacity were you employed by a LEA?

Having been in law enforcement for nearly 2 decasdes I can tell you I get asked these questions a lot. If I know the person then they should already know what I carry but if not I usually just reply "A water gun" I have found most people I have come in to contact with who want to have a conversation with a stranger about a firearm to be some strange people. Just my observation and this is not to say all are that way.

I did some work as a board member for a gun rights group for a while but after I supposedly resigned (Not sure how since I did not do it myself) and I found a lot of good people in the firearms community but in 20 years of badge wearing and working within the group I did see a lot of people carrying who simply made me scratch my head.

Thats just my two cents so let the bashing begin :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Having been in law enforcement for nearly 2 decasdes I can tell you I get asked these questions a lot. If I know the person then they should already know what I carry but if not I usually just reply "A water gun" I have found most people I have come in to contact with who want to have a conversation with a stranger about a firearm to be some strange people. Just my observation and this is not to say all are that way.

I did some work as a board member for a gun rights group for a while but after I supposedly resigned (Not sure how since I did not do it myself) and I found a lot of good people in the firearms community but in 20 years of badge wearing and working within the group I did see a lot of people carrying who simply made me scratch my head.

Thats just my two cents so let the bashing begin :)
No reason to bash - that's not how we do things here.

Think that "most people" who approach a stranger about carrying are either fellow enthusiasts or uneducated. To the latter, education is one of our greatest assets - it is how we spread the word and solidify our position.

I admit to being very curious as to your statement "even when I got into law enforcement I seldom carried" as that does not seem to fit into the mold. Please elaborate.

Glock 1st fan

No reason to bash - that's not how we do things here.

Think that "most people" who approach a stranger about carrying are either fellow enthusiasts or uneducated. To the latter, education is one of our greatest assets - it is how we spread the word and solidify our position.

I admit to being very curious as to your statement "even when I got into law enforcement I seldom carried" as that does not seem to fit into the mold. Please elaborate.

Sorry to not be able to give a long answer but when I went off duty I simply chose not t carry. it wasa different world then today though but I still tend to carry concealed when I do now.