• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How would you Register an AR-15 lower you built your self

dynotime

As the title states Does anyone know how to register an AR-15 lower with out a Serial # Federal law says you can build your own.
Any thoughts? Thanks

davidmcbeth

Banned
As the title states Does anyone know how to register an AR-15 lower with out a Serial # Federal law says you can build your own.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Yes you can build your own lower.

No serial # is needed unless you want to sell it, and at the time of sale it would need a serial #.

Now, PA13-3 would have to be examined in respect to the lower built.

If you have all the parts needed to produce an "assault weapon" except for the lower, then producing the lower may create a circumstance where you produced an assault weapon and created it past the point of the time in which you could have had one.

Now if you build a lower but do not have all the parts required by the law to be able to rapidly assemble it into an assault weapon (what is meant by rapidly????)

Now looking at the characteristics that make an assault weapon (because your home made gun would not be one specifically listed or by a manufacture of any listed) one can examine the gun parts needed from PA13-3:

[(ii) A] (II) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, [that
protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;] a
thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an
individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger
hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion
of the action of the weapon when firing; or

The above section would likely cover your "AR15" ... and following this...definition of action comes into play..which is:

(3) "Action of the weapon" means the part of the firearm that loads,
fires and ejects a cartridge, which part includes, but is not limited to,
the upper and lower receiver, charging handle, forward assist,
magazine release and shell deflector;

So if you have the parts listed above (and a pistol grip which I would assume, being a "AR style" .. all the parts listed...then your manufacture of a finished lower would especially create a new AR at the time that the lower is produced.

Of course, one would have needed to have all the parts on/before 5 APR 13 to be legal.

Now, if you do not have all the parts required to be mandatory for an "assault weapon", you can finish 1000 lowers w/o it being in violation of the law.

If you want to speak further on the matter...PM me.

Right now, today .. if you have the parts to complete an AR but the lower and you finish a 80% lower into a 100% lower ~ you may run into felony charges.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Any thoughts? Thanks

As far as registering a lower you made and used to produce a AR prior to/on 5 APR 13 ... you register it like any other.

In "manufacturer" I would put: "n/a or self"
In serial number I would put "n/a"
Importer would be "n/a"
Model: "n/a"
Caliber: "whatever it is or you have .. maybe you have 20 uppers for it, I don't know"...if you have 2 uppers, I would think that only 1 form needs to be completed but you likely could file 2 registration forms ... seek a lawyer for this query really...its a messed up law

And, I myself, woudl scratch out the following from the form:

I understand that any false statement herein, which I do not believe to be true and which is intended to mislead a public servant in the performance of his or her official function, is punishable by law (See C.G.S. § 53a-157b). I further understand that any statement in this application that is determined tobe false or inaccurate shall constitute grounds for the denial of such application. If approved before the facts are known, such approval shall be void if based on a false or inaccurate statement. My signature below attests to the accuracy, completeness and truth of all information supplied on this application

The law does not require you to sign such a statement and it requires you to verify that you understand 53a-157b ... which cannot be required IMO.

Look at driver license application requirements in CGS and you'll see that there, the state statue specifies you need to agree to this type of statement....but PA13-3 does not. So I think its BS...and certainly would be used in court against you. Any lawyer who posts...can comment further if able to.

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
As far as registering a lower you made and used to produce a AR prior to/on 5 APR 13 ... you register it like any other.

In "manufacturer" I would put: "n/a or self"
In serial number I would put "n/a"
Importer would be "n/a"
Model: "n/a"
Caliber: "whatever it is or you have .. maybe you have 20 uppers for it, I don't know"...if you have 2 uppers, I would think that only 1 form needs to be completed but you likely could file 2 registration forms ... seek a lawyer for this query really...its a messed up law

And, I myself, woudl scratch out the following from the form:

I understand that any false statement herein, which I do not believe to be true and which is intended to mislead a public servant in the performance of his or her official function, is punishable by law (See C.G.S. § 53a-157b). I further understand that any statement in this application that is determined tobe false or inaccurate shall constitute grounds for the denial of such application. If approved before the facts are known, such approval shall be void if based on a false or inaccurate statement. My signature below attests to the accuracy, completeness and truth of all information supplied on this application

The law does not require you to sign such a statement and it requires you to verify that you understand 53a-157b ... which cannot be required IMO.

In your opinion, what would the consequence be if you crossed out this section(and social #) and initialed? could DEPPs then deny the form and then, being as the reg date has then passed, you'd be a felon by paperwork or lack there of??
curious i am

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Yes you can build your own lower. TRUTH

Now, if you do not have all the parts required to be mandatory for an "assault weapon", you can finish 1000 lowers w/o it being in violation of the law.

Right now, today .. if you have the parts to complete an AR but the lower and you finish a 80% lower into a 100% lower ~ you may run into felony charges.

Is an AR in semi auto considered an "assault weapon" in your neck of the woods? I build ARs from 80% lowers and quite a few have no roll marks or serial numbers. If a stripped, completed AR lower ( no longer an 80%) it is, by it self, a weapon in the eyes of the batf. If you have a thousand completed, stripped AR15 lowers, batf considers this a thousand weapons. I do not register my weapons and all ARs are first completed as pistols, multi cal. You can always legally reconfigure a pistol to a rifle and back again without breaking the law. You cannot reconfigure a (initial build) rifle into a pistol. Dumb laws written by committee.

After building, why would you want to sell it anyway?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is an AR in semi auto considered an "assault weapon" in your neck of the woods? I build ARs from 80% lowers and quite a few have no roll marks or serial numbers. If a stripped, completed AR lower ( no longer an 80%) it is, by it self, a weapon in the eyes of the batf. If you have a thousand completed, stripped AR15 lowers, batf considers this a thousand weapons. I do not register my weapons and all ARs are first completed as pistols, multi cal. You can always legally reconfigure a pistol to a rifle and back again without breaking the law. You cannot reconfigure a (initial build) rifle into a pistol. Dumb laws written by committee.

After building, why would you want to sell it anyway?

Many ARs and variants are currently considered "assault weapons" in CT .. only those owned on/before 5 APR 13 are legal to possess and you must register them. Per the law of course.

A completed 80% lower would not be considered a AW under our law unless you have the parts to complete it into a finished gun though.

Under our law, you could re-configure.

WalkingWolf

I would keep my mouth shut, but that is just me. Besides I don't live in CT, and I am not interested in having a AR. I like my lever actions just fine.