• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc on hip and motorcycle bad ideal

bwboley

Activist Member
I was riding my drz400sm in September when I truck turned in front of me and I hit the truck. After hitting the truck and flying over it I handed in some grass and couldn't get up and notice something was broke.
I shattered my hip socket from hitting either the truck or ground with my glock in a serpa holster. Other injury's are broken ankle, compression fracture of my t12, lacerated kidney, and dislocation in my hand. 3 surgery with one more DEC 4th to remove the screws from my ankle before I can try to start walking...
Bad thing is my foot and toes are asleep and I can't move my ankle or toes from bruising my nerves. I have lots of nerve pain in my foot and toes.

So just be carefull on how you carry.

Now the arriving officer (first on seen Clark county sheriff). I asked if he could secure it and he was nice about it. Since he couldn't get ahold of anyone he placed it at the evidence place. That took a bit to get out and couldn't receive my ammo and glock at the same time.

BTW glock are tough no damage just got dirty.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

I was riding my drz400sm in September when I truck turned in front of me and I hit the truck. After hitting the truck and flying over it I handed in some grass and couldn't get up and notice something was broke.
I shattered my hip socket from hitting either the truck or ground with my glock in a serpa holster. Other injury's are broken ankle, compression fracture of my t12, lacerated kidney, and dislocation in my hand. 3 surgery with one more DEC 4th to remove the screws from my ankle before I can try to start walking...
Bad thing is my foot and toes are asleep and I can't move my ankle or toes from bruising my nerves. I have lots of nerve pain in my foot and toes.

So just be carefull on how you carry.

Now the arriving officer (first on seen Clark county sheriff). I asked if he could secure it and he was nice about it. Since he couldn't get ahold of anyone he placed it at the evidence place. That took a bit to get out and couldn't receive my ammo and glock at the same time.

BTW glock are tough no damage just got dirty.

Glad you are still here with us and recovering. It is likely that you would have received most if not all of the injuries anyway the Glock and holster may had also added to the severity its is hard to say. I have been into the side of 5 cars and its not much fun, none of mine were as severe as yours but it does make you think. Get healed up all the way before you get back on the bike again, I hope your recovery is speedy.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have been biking a great deal lately. I do not change my way of carry because I change vehicles, it still hangs off the hip in a holster. I do get a few double takes and finger pointing at traffic lights tho.
A good retention holster is an absolute on a motorcycle. I do not want my weapon going in the opposite direction of my body in a collision.

decklin

I ride a motorcycle more than I drive my truck. I always carry on my hip so I know where my weapon is at all times. On my bike I do use a d/os holster if I were to go down I hopefully will not have a hip injury. I also use the d/os so my jacket stays in place and does not bunch up. This in turn allows for a smoother draw.

I've tried a few different carry methods on a bike but didn't like any of them. I tried cc'ing in the "gun" pocket of my jacket but didn't like it.
I tried a shoulder holster under my jacket too. I must not have engaged the thumb break all the way because while riding I felt the gun slip out of the holster. I had my jacket zipped so it didn't go anywhere. Good thing it was about 40 degrees out.

Glad to hear your still with us. Any idea if you'll be able to ride again?

sirpuma

Sorry to hear of your crash, but glad you're alive. I agree with the idea that the pistol could have increased the severity, but if you're hitting the vehicle enough to smash up other parts from foot to back, you may have sustained the hip injuries anyway. I do wish you a speedy recovery and Cowboy Up.

sudden valley gunner

Had my share of mishaps, once in Hawaii they reported it on the radio car vs motorcycle, car won. Nothing as severe as yours though, hope you recover soon, and it's a good reminder for those of us who ride to be doubly safe.

DCKilla

Well, glad you're ok.

I crashed my bike last June while carrying. It wasn't too serious, but broke my ankle. My Glock 22 was CC at about 5 o'clock. The grip got scratched a little bit, but didn't add injury. I think keeping it off likely points of contact would be preferred i.e. hip, leg. etc. Sometimes I carry in my backpack for the ride.

bwboley

Activist Member
I should be able to ride again, but it depends if my ankle/foot wake up right now I can feel some of my foot but rest is numb. I got my cast off my ankle a few weeks back and put in a removable walking boot. I was told Dont put any weight on it till after the Dec 4th surgery to remove my screws. Hell if my foot Dont wake up all the way I'll still ride. My buddy who's paralyzed got back on a bike this year at portland int raceway. Thanks guys
IMG_20131022_122535_277_zps71578061.jpg

IMG_20131022_122500_916_zpsc0adcd94.jpg

IMG_20131022_122446_420_zps076854d8.jpg

Dr said he never seen a hand dislocation like this before
IMG_20131028_151149_551_zps897c876f.jpg

Last edited:

BLKH2O

@bwboley, hope you have a speedy recovery my brother and get back to riding soon. I'm 63 and have been riding since my early teens. Have had many friends injured and/or killed in bike accidents. I have been one of the lucky ones. Have always had a passion for sport bikes but being "vertically impaired", my legs just don't reach the ground to where I am comfortable, so always opted to ride Harleys. I always carry my gun when riding and usually on my strong side. I'm fortunate to be a lefty which is ideal for a bike rider if I ever had to use it while riding. Stay safe and look forward to the posts when your back riding again.

Batousaii

Yikes! ~ Heal up soon.

Wow man, glad your OK! And hope to see you get better soon. Keep high spirits and positive motivation for that ankle and foot, you'll make it.
- For carrying my handgun, i have a vest with pockets made for a handgun. I find the gun sits under my ribs, and in event of an accident, my hope is that it'll have a bit more cushion and wont break bones. I have often thought of having a holster sewn to the lower leg of my chaps would be nice, theory is to keep the arm away from the majority of my body's weight, and makes it easy to get to should i ever need it. I'd have it as a full flap to protect the arm from grunge and minor this/thats. I also thought a nylon drop/lower thigh rig might serve the same function. I personally avoid anything solid along the side/back of my waist when i ride, no cell-phones or anything, even my wallet goes front pocket, cargo or even saddle bag depending.

Hope all is well for your recovery.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
You will have to carry your medical records to the airport if you ever want to fly again. You will never be able to get past a metal detector again mate.

.45ACPaddy

Be thankful it wasn't in a small of back holster.

I work a security job, and at my job we're told not to carry bulky or hard objects (radios, etc.) directly on the the back of our duty belts, aka small of back. Should we fall on it, it could damage our spine and parylize us.

Luckily for you it was a hip injury, rather than a spine injury, and you didn't up with permanent parylysis from the waist down!

Regardless, it really sucks to hear about your situation! Better a hip than a spine injury. Heal up and carry on, my thoughts and prayers go out to your recovery!

Last edited:

DocWalker

I always carry when I ride. I used to carry CC in my conceal carry pocket of my vest but will only hip carry with my Serpa; yes I have a special holster and carry my Springfield XD 40cal when I ride. I carry a different pistol any other time. I do this for a couple of reasons.

1. People tend to see you and give you more room when they see you packing, I have had people stop or wait at a light until I was well gone. I guess they don't want to piss off a biker looking dude that is armed on a Harley. (A armed sociaty is a polite sociaty)

2. If needed to be drawn while riding it is easier than digging into your vest.

Last edited:

topgun47

Sorry about your accident, and I'm glad you are persevering through the recovery period.

I too, had a bike accident last summer. Luckily, I was going slow through a residential area when a woman backed out of her driveway without even looking, and caused me to drop the bike so I wouldn't T-Bone her. I was carrying cross-draw at the time, so the gun didn't do any damage to me. The method of carry also protected my XD40 from suffering any damage as well.

Even though I'm pretty much healed up now, I'll still have scars from the concrete scrapes forever. The stupid women said to me as I was laying in a pool of blood on the road: "Were you scared because I was pulling INTO my driveway?". I was contemplating doing something irrational, when a witness said: "You were pulling OUT of your driveway lady!" "Had you been pulling INTO your driveway, this guy wouldn't be laying here".

Stay safe.

Difdi

You will have to carry your medical records to the airport if you ever want to fly again. You will never be able to get past a metal detector again mate.

Actually, pins and even plates don't set off metal detectors much. My guess would be that the detectors can tell the difference between different metals and different alloys, and are deliberately set not to alarm on medical alloys. Which also creates a heck of a security hole if someone gets a gun made out of that stuff, but that's just my guess. My mother had a really nasty fall a few years back and there were bionic woman jokes passed around the family over how much metal she wound up carrying around permanently, some of it in places where you'd wear a holster -- she has never set off an airport metal detector in all the years since.

decklin

Actually, pins and even plates don't set off metal detectors much. My guess would be that the detectors can tell the difference between different metals and different alloys, and are deliberately set not to alarm on medical alloys. Which also creates a heck of a security hole if someone gets a gun made out of that stuff, but that's just my guess. My mother had a really nasty fall a few years back and there were bionic woman jokes passed around the family over how much metal she wound up carrying around permanently, some of it in places where you'd wear a holster -- she has never set off an airport metal detector in all the years since.

Back when I was in the Infantry I was able to walk through security, when in uniform, without removing anything. I never set off the metal detector. Boots with metal shanks, dog tags with metal chain, large metal belt buckle, zippers, watch & ring never set it off.

Once on midtour leave I walked through security in uniform with a set of razor blades and a handcuff key velcroed under my belt. ( I forgot they were there.) Nothing happened.

I thought for a while that maybe they were disabling the detector when I walked through but have since learned that is not the case. I went through security last month with a metal buckle and dog tags with handcuff key. Nothing happened. Even went through the backscatter but apparently their people haven't been properly trained on reading it.

I used that equipment in Iraq. It just picks up on organic material hidden in inorganic material which makes it useful for detecting many types of explosives. Doesn't work well when you're scanning a person though. Guess they should have done their research.

fire suppressor

I apologize for reading this so late I see it was originally posted in September. I have been busy with work and have not had much time to get on the forum. First of all I am very glad you are doing alright. I know you are hurting but it sounds like you are getting your mobility back and that is very GOOD to hear. This past April I took a motorcycle endorsement class and bought my first motorcycle a 2006 Honda Shadow VLX 600 cc. It is a great first bike and this summer I put over 5,000 miles on it. I am not going to try and call myself a veteran but as a rider it is very good to hear you are doing alright. I hope you do not take offense to this I am not trying to down play what you are going through but it could have been a lot worse. As a EMT I have been my share of motorcycle wrecks and it does scare me. I wont go into detail to keep my post short but this summer I had a car jack knife on I-5 that sent all lanes of traffic everywhere and I ran into a van door at high speed. My left ankle pops and clicks a little now but no major injury. Did your holster cause more serious injury? I do not know but it makes since that falling on a holster would cause more injury than without. Normally I carry my XD in a level 2 serpa holster but sometimes I carry it on my leg in a drop holster. Thank you for sharing it is a good reminder for all of us who ride to rethink our method of carry. I hope you get continue to heal and feel better

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I apologize for reading this so late I see it was originally posted in September. I have been busy with work and have not had much time to get on the forum. First of all I am very glad you are doing alright. I know you are hurting but it sounds like you are getting your mobility back and that is very GOOD to hear. This past April I took a motorcycle endorsement class and bought my first motorcycle a 2006 Honda Shadow VLX 600 cc. It is a great first bike and this summer I put over 5,000 miles on it. I am not going to try and call myself a veteran but as a rider it is very good to hear you are doing alright. I hope you do not take offense to this I am not trying to down play what you are going through but it could have been a lot worse. As a EMT I have been my share of motorcycle wrecks and it does scare me. I wont go into detail to keep my post short but this summer I had a car jack knife on I-5 that sent all lanes of traffic everywhere and I ran into a van door at high speed. My left ankle pops and clicks a little now but no major injury. Did your holster cause more serious injury? I do not know but it makes since that falling on a holster would cause more injury than without. Normally I carry my XD in a level 2 serpa holster but sometimes I carry it on my leg in a drop holster. Thank you for sharing it is a good reminder for all of us who ride to rethink our method of carry. I hope you get continue to heal and feel better
Curious- how does a car "jackknife?" :p

Had a chance to pick up a really nice bike some many years ago from a relative. After a long test ride, he concluded the bike was sold by the big grin on my face when I returned. Is not gonna happen said I - if I owned that thing, I'd kill myself....or die trying.

Darned if it was fun though Never did buy one.