• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc on hip and motorcycle bad ideal

bwboley

Activist Member
Doing better, I had my last surgery on the 4th to remove hardware out of my ankle. Now I begin physical therapy to start walking. I have to stretch out my Achilles tendon so I can flat foot the ground before I try walking.

I also have to wear a brace I now have what the call foot drop. It's a condition when I pick my foot up my toes point to the ground and I can't lift Them up.

.45ACPaddy

Doing better, I had my last surgery on the 4th to remove hardware out of my ankle. Now I begin physical therapy to start walking. I have to stretch out my Achilles tendon so I can flat foot the ground before I try walking.

I also have to wear a brace I now have what the call foot drop. It's a condition when I pick my foot up my toes point to the ground and I can't lift Them up.

I hope a speedy recovery for you. I recently had a pinched nerve in my left arm, diagnosed as wrist drop. Almost thought I wouldn't play drums again but luckily things have recovered.

Don't ever give up, keep on doing what you do.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Let's see.......spokes, drive chains and a hanging lanyard.

Can't see anything going wrong here.....

I've had good luck with a positive retention holster strongside on my hip while riding my bike.

My particular holster brand/model of choice successfully retained my firearm to my right hip as I struck a buck Mule deer broadside at 70MPH a few years ago on my motorcycle. The Buck died, the bike died, I did not. I did tumble through the air and down the roadway for a ways however. And I had zero injury related to the carry of the firearm. The road rash healed. The strongside knee took 2 surgeries. The Orthopedic surgeon assures me that I'll be asking for a new knee in the future. Hasn't happened yet but it has only been 3 1/2 years so far. The holster showed some abrasions below the muzzle of my Compact Kimber 1911. Still have the firearm and carry it in the same exact holster. The firearm remained in place stongside and pair of extra mags weakside also remained in place.

All said above, Is there a risk of injury to my hip based upon my chosen method of carry--- Yep, but I am willing to accept this risk to this area rather that worse injuries that MAY happen if I were to carry in a different location or manner. 'll take the risk of hip injury vs potential paralysis with small of back carry. for example

amlevin

Let's see.......spokes, drive chains and a hanging lanyard.

Can't see anything going wrong here.....

Doesn't seem to be an issue with those that have their wallets on long chains. Or long leather fringe on their jackets.

I got "T-Boned" in an intersection over 40 years ago. Trust me, if I'd had a pistol on my hip it wouldn't have aggravated THOSE injuries in the slightest. Bones broken to the point of being pulverized. Surgeon who repaired the fractures was actually called in to amputate it. Decided to try and fix first saying "we're in no hurry, if it doesn't heal we'll take it off later". Leg's still with me and works almost as good as before. Just too damn old to ride anymore.

DocWalker

Doesn't seem to be an issue with those that have their wallets on long chains. Or long leather fringe on their jackets.

I got "T-Boned" in an intersection over 40 years ago. Trust me, if I'd had a pistol on my hip it wouldn't have aggravated THOSE injuries in the slightest. Bones broken to the point of being pulverized. Surgeon who repaired the fractures was actually called in to amputate it. Decided to try and fix first saying "we're in no hurry, if it doesn't heal we'll take it off later". Leg's still with me and works almost as good as before. Just too damn old to ride anymore.

That is what they make "Trikes" for.....

Fuller Malarkey

Safety reasons aside, I'm not willing to put my defensive weapon on an 18-26 inch long tether, limiting my weapon's purpose to being a piece of "bling". IF I were to have a threat on the left side, front or rear of the bike, I'd have to get off the bike and hope shooting from the hip stops the threat.

chainwallet.jpg

Even a pedestrian open carrier would be likely hampered to draw and acquire some kind of shooting stance with that thing attached to their weapon. It wouldn't take an OSHA safety officer to see the dangers of a loose chain long enough to allow freedom of movement of a handgun.

And anyone that has any experience with any retractable lanyard knows they can "catch", requiring one to "back off" the tension on the cord, and try it again. How many mulligans do you get in self defense shootings? None of this takes into consideration the variable drawing hazards a loose chain provides. Personally, I see no reason to introduce openings for Murphy OR Darwin to enter the scene when I need my self defense weapon most. For me, the objective of securing my weapon is accomplished with my retention holster, which I can operate with protective motorcycle gloves on.

And while no slave to fashion, just knowing that having a wallet chain like thing on me is a non-verbal statement that I am A-sexual would have a toll on it's frequency of use.

BG doesn't need to get to my firearm. He just needs to get ahold of the lanyard to provide me a worse "oh sh_t" moment than I'm having. Not a problem if you fantasize that your BG will be 18 feet from you. At four feet, he's got a lanyard to grab.

Last edited: