Thread: Are Guns in Classrooms a Good Idea? John Lott v. VT SAGV (VIDEO)

Are Guns in Classrooms a Good Idea? John Lott v. VT SAGV (VIDEO)

"This segment is only about a third of our interview. When I was able to respond, I pointed out that The link is also available here. This discussion took place at 8 PM on Thursday, November 21st."

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...s-a-good-idea/
    http://fusion.net/Justice/video/guns...od-idea-249148
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "This segment is only about a third of our interview. When I was able to respond, I pointed out that The link is also available here. This discussion took place at 8 PM on Thursday, November 21st."

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...s-a-good-idea/
    http://fusion.net/Justice/video/guns...od-idea-249148
    "professors are there to teach and students are there to learn, so they don't need guns" I love liberal logic.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

it is surely the bad idea

I think that you shouldn't carry your gun in your classroom. It isn't the battle field.

Quote Originally Posted by oddMichaelThompson View Post
    I think that you shouldn't carry your gun in your classroom. It isn't the battle field.
    So no one has ever been shot in school? It doesn't work like this...

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

You are in the wrong forum. A school is the perfect learning environment to impart knowledge about the proper handling and use of weapons. It is all around us, it is a tool used for good and bad! Or are you one of those who believe they can come into a firearm forum and impart your enlightened ways upon the "gun culture"?

Banned
    A good idea? Where I grew up, they were almost mandatory ...

two thumbs up for the GFZ vid ...

"You shouldn't need fire extingshers in buildings. They weren't built to be a fire pit.
    You shouldn't wear a seat belt. You don't plan on crashing your car every time you drive it.
    You shouldn't lock your front door. You aren't inviting criminals to enter." - someone else (although the more I think about it, I can easily imagine an anti saying this with a straight face).

What YOU want isn't usually what the criminal element in society wants, nor what could happen given the circumstances.

Add.
    You seem to be reviving old threads (3 of your 4 posts since joining this month). It also seems you don't actually read what the thread is about (your reply here, but mainly your reply in the Arizona forum).
    Are you a bot?
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 05-09-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Addendum
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    "professors are there to teach and students are there to learn, so they don't need guns" I love liberal logic.
    Putting aside the classic misapplication of the term "need", and the fact that there is a demonstrable need anyway, and the fact that the second part of the statement does not follow from the first....

While it is true that guns are not needed to teach they also don't hinder the educational process. So if the same (flawed) logic that somehow creates the second part from the first is carried on, there is absolutely no reason to ban firearms from schools since they won't interfere with teaching or with learning.... In fact, quite the opposite, should a crazed gunman attempt to kill students or the professor and one of them is armed and stops the gunman it will greatly increase education among that group of people since living people are infinitely more capable of teaching and learning than dead people.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arentol; 05-10-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Where have you been for the last thirty years? Does the name "Sandy Hook" ring a bell? Heck, even back in 1978, one of the kids in my own high school was caught by a coach, on campus, during school hours, carrying a loaded revolver. Thankfully, the coach talked him down.

The battle field is EVERYWHERE.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    You revive a thread that has been dead for half a year and you make a comment like that? What anti-gun group do you belong to Mr./Ms. troll?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

I guess you're not aware of all the times schools HAVE been battlefields? Like Columbine. Or Virginia Tech. Or most recently, Sandy Hook. Would prefer that the teachers and students be sitting ducks for the crazed gunman to find and execute? Me, I'd rather the teachers have the means to be able to protect the kids if the gunman bursts into the classroom rather than to have to huddle in a corner and hope that the cops will arrive in time to save their lives.