Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Iphone vs Galaxy as audio recorder

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    101

    Iphone vs Galaxy as audio recorder

    I plan on buying a new cell phone and am trying to decide between a Samsung galaxy and an apple I phone. I would like to use it as a audio recorder which uploads the audio immediately to the cloud or something similar in real time and can be run all day long. I plan on using it basically like many now do with their digital recorders; but with the added advantage that there will be an instant backup somewhere available should someone ever seize the actual device. I am a fairly certain that an I-phone can be used this way due to its cloud and I have read other postings stating that the galaxy can be used as well. There have been a few postings about this; but I haven't quite seen the question fully answered. If cell phones now have such capabilities and the added benefit of backing up the recording on the internet, why does anyone still use digital recorders?

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Pretty much because I can run by digital voice recorder all day from my front shirt pocket and still be able to use my phone as a phone or game platform.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose72 View Post
    ...If cell phones now have such capabilities (comment by BB62: real-time uploading to the cloud/other storage) and the added benefit of backing up the recording on the internet, why does anyone still use digital recorders?
    Because as I understand it, there is a monetary cost to doing so.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    As Skidmark said.....leave it on which a phone battery won't stand.

    I can't tell you how many experienced OC'ers have forgotten to hit the record button under stress.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S III. I have downloaded an App called Bambuser that will do just what you say you want and does it well, audio and video...
    What is the cost and details of your plan with Bambuser?

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    What is the cost and details of your plan with Bambuser?
    From $45/mo to $599/mo.

    http://bambuser.com/premium
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    From $45/mo to $599/mo.

    http://bambuser.com/premium
    Yes, I could see that for myself. That's why I asked him. (because I figured he wouldn't spend $45 a month for a seldom used feature)


  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699
    I have the Droid Ultra.

    Current app I use would be

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

    Code:
     Description
    Video chat, video mail and video share for free with Qik Video for Android phones – download the app today and start streaming live videos with friends and family around the world.
    
    • Record and instantly share videos online straight to your favorite social network from your mobile phone.
    • Share moments through SMS or email with video mail1.
    • Live video streaming from your mobile phone to the web, Facebook, Twitter and more.
    • Video feed: See all videos as they are uploaded by your Qik contacts.
    • Connect instantly: Automatically see who in your phone’s contact list is available for a live video call.
    • Place live video calls with other Qik Video users with Android phones or iPhone, iPad 2 and iPod Touch 4th generation over 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi.
    • Videos are instantly uploaded to the cloud for sharing or safe-keeping. No cords! No waiting!(1)
    • Manage your Qik videos using Qik Desktop(1).
    Upgrade to Qik Premium for more great features like unlimited online video sharing and unlimited video storage(2).
    You can upload up to 25 videos for free with Qik Video (free version). Upgrading to Qik Premium gives you unlimited video storage2 and lots of other great features. Try it now – FREE 30 day trial(3).
    With Qik Premium you get:
    
    Unlimited video storage
    • Upload as many videos as you like to save, playback, or share later(2).
    Have had no problem's using mine, when out and about. I don't record when I'm driving, except if I'm stopped. It's either on the dash, or in my top shirt pocket, where a push of the button, is all that's needed, and keeps the reach for the button discrete. YMMV.

  9. #9
    Regular Member JohnM15A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    234
    I get to use my Droid any time I want because I now were one of these. I just put this on when I leave the house and let it run all day long. When I get home I just plug it into my computer's USB port and let it charge. If I want to keep the audio recorded I just copy the file to my hard drive. If not I just delete it. It also acts as a thumb drive.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112513220237.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	10992
    "Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me"
    NRA Lifetime Member

  10. #10
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM15A View Post
    I get to use my Droid any time I want because I now were one of these. I just put this on when I leave the house and let it run all day long. When I get home I just plug it into my computer's USB port and let it charge. If I want to keep the audio recorded I just copy the file to my hard drive. If not I just delete it. It also acts as a thumb drive.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112513220237.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	10992
    Do you know the make and model of that? It's pretty slick

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bluefield, West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Do you know the make and model of that? It's pretty slick
    Looks like this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/amzdeal%C2%AE-...dp/B006R3231I/

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Gutshot - very devious set up you have. Innocent looking, but captures all of the truths n' lies if the SHTF - love it.

    JohnM15A's rig is extremely subtle.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member JohnM15A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Very interesting. Looks like a flash drive, very unnoticeable. I don't see a headphone jack, is there one? Here's the one I use:

    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMX18...rds=sansa+clip

    It is a functioning mp.3 player/recorder, plus am FM radio receiver. It has a headphone jack and I just keep a set of ear buds around my neck. It just looks like I'm listening to some tunes. I have three of them. One is in the car, one is in my pocket and one is plugged in, recharging. They are durable and reliable. It has a USB port to transfer files to your computer and an internal microphone for voice recording.
    No phone jack. All it has is an on/off switch and an LED to tell you that it is recording or charging or charged. If you want to listen to a recording you plug it into a computer and play it back or copy the file to the PC and play it back or save it. You cannot set the file time stamp so any time information is useless. It's not the best but it sure convenient. Oh yea, also acts as a thumb drive. The only real issue is when it is recording the flashing blue LED shine through my shirt in low light areas.
    Last edited by JohnM15A; 11-27-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    "Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me"
    NRA Lifetime Member

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •