• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iphone vs Galaxy as audio recorder

Mongoose72

I plan on buying a new cell phone and am trying to decide between a Samsung galaxy and an apple I phone. I would like to use it as a audio recorder which uploads the audio immediately to the cloud or something similar in real time and can be run all day long. I plan on using it basically like many now do with their digital recorders; but with the added advantage that there will be an instant backup somewhere available should someone ever seize the actual device. I am a fairly certain that an I-phone can be used this way due to its cloud and I have read other postings stating that the galaxy can be used as well. There have been a few postings about this; but I haven't quite seen the question fully answered. If cell phones now have such capabilities and the added benefit of backing up the recording on the internet, why does anyone still use digital recorders?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Pretty much because I can run by digital voice recorder all day from my front shirt pocket and still be able to use my phone as a phone or game platform.

stay safe.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...If cell phones now have such capabilities (comment by BB62: real-time uploading to the cloud/other storage) and the added benefit of backing up the recording on the internet, why does anyone still use digital recorders?
Because as I understand it, there is a monetary cost to doing so.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As Skidmark said.....leave it on which a phone battery won't stand.

I can't tell you how many experienced OC'ers have forgotten to hit the record button under stress.

mpguy

I have the Droid Ultra.

Current app I use would be

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qik.android&hl=en

Code:
 Description
Video chat, video mail and video share for free with Qik Video for Android phones – download the app today and start streaming live videos with friends and family around the world.

• Record and instantly share videos online straight to your favorite social network from your mobile phone.
• Share moments through SMS or email with video mail1.
• Live video streaming from your mobile phone to the web, Facebook, Twitter and more.
• Video feed: See all videos as they are uploaded by your Qik contacts.
• Connect instantly: Automatically see who in your phone’s contact list is available for a live video call.
• Place live video calls with other Qik Video users with Android phones or iPhone, iPad 2 and iPod Touch 4th generation over 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi.
• Videos are instantly uploaded to the cloud for sharing or safe-keeping. No cords! No waiting!(1)
• Manage your Qik videos using Qik Desktop(1).
Upgrade to Qik Premium for more great features like unlimited online video sharing and unlimited video storage(2).
You can upload up to 25 videos for free with Qik Video (free version). Upgrading to Qik Premium gives you unlimited video storage2 and lots of other great features. Try it now – FREE 30 day trial(3).
With Qik Premium you get:

Unlimited video storage
• Upload as many videos as you like to save, playback, or share later(2).

Have had no problem's using mine, when out and about. I don't record when I'm driving, except if I'm stopped. It's either on the dash, or in my top shirt pocket, where a push of the button, is all that's needed, and keeps the reach for the button discrete. YMMV.

JohnM15A

I get to use my Droid any time I want because I now were one of these. I just put this on when I leave the house and let it run all day long. When I get home I just plug it into my computer's USB port and let it charge. If I want to keep the audio recorded I just copy the file to my hard drive. If not I just delete it. It also acts as a thumb drive.

112513220237.jpg

Primus

I get to use my Droid any time I want because I now were one of these. I just put this on when I leave the house and let it run all day long. When I get home I just plug it into my computer's USB port and let it charge. If I want to keep the audio recorded I just copy the file to my hard drive. If not I just delete it. It also acts as a thumb drive.

View attachment 10992

Do you know the make and model of that? It's pretty slick

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gutshot - very devious set up you have. Innocent looking, but captures all of the truths n' lies if the SHTF - love it.

JohnM15A's rig is extremely subtle.

JohnM15A

Very interesting. Looks like a flash drive, very unnoticeable. I don't see a headphone jack, is there one? Here's the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMX1...TF8&qid=1385443900&sr=1-2&keywords=sansa+clip

It is a functioning mp.3 player/recorder, plus am FM radio receiver. It has a headphone jack and I just keep a set of ear buds around my neck. It just looks like I'm listening to some tunes. I have three of them. One is in the car, one is in my pocket and one is plugged in, recharging. They are durable and reliable. It has a USB port to transfer files to your computer and an internal microphone for voice recording.

No phone jack. All it has is an on/off switch and an LED to tell you that it is recording or charging or charged. If you want to listen to a recording you plug it into a computer and play it back or copy the file to the PC and play it back or save it. You cannot set the file time stamp so any time information is useless. It's not the best but it sure convenient. Oh yea, also acts as a thumb drive. The only real issue is when it is recording the flashing blue LED shine through my shirt in low light areas.

Last edited: