• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop rapist -- guberment refuses FOIA request -- typical attempt to cover up

davidmcbeth

Banned
SAN ANTONIO -- Officer Jackie Neal, 40, was in full uniform, in a marked squad car and on-duty when he made a traffic stop Friday morning and sexually assaulted a 19-year-old woman, according to the San Antonio Police Department.....

Neal was suspended back in September, according to an agenda for the San Antonio Police and Firefighter Civil Service Commission.
KENS 5 requested the internal affairs paperwork regarding that suspension in mid-September. Nearly 80 days later, the city has simply not filled the request.

http://www.kens5.com/news/On-duty-o...-during-traffic-stop-SAPD-says-233147741.html

Why would it take 80+ days for a FOIA request response?? Part of an attempted cover up most likely... hard to cover up a rape though.

BrianB

If the victim would have shot the perp in the act I wonder how that would have turned out?

Primus

Serious question, how is the Suspension covered under FOIA? And how is it relevant to the current case against him? How are they covering it up? He had a warrant issued (seems promptly) and then they arrested him. Am I missing something?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Serious question, how is the Suspension covered under FOIA? And how is it relevant to the current case against him? How are they covering it up? He had a warrant issued (seems promptly) and then they arrested him. Am I missing something?

I think, from my reading, that the disciplinary action (which are available under FOIA) had nothing to do with his current rape charge.

onus

Why would it take 80+ days for a FOIA request response?? Part of an attempted cover up most likely... hard to cover up a rape though.

In most states police personnel records are mostly exempted from public disclosure.

The most common way they are obtained through a court order called a "pitches motion" but that basically only occurs when a cop is arrested or being sued and a judge has to approve it.

I have filed at least 20 public records request for police personnel files and have been denied everytime.

davidmcbeth

Banned
In most states police personnel records are mostly exempted from public disclosure.

The most common way they are obtained through a court order called a "pitches motion" but that basically only occurs when a cop is arrested or being sued and a judge has to approve it.

I have filed at least 20 public records request for police personnel files and have been denied everytime.

Generally, records relating to disciplinary matters are open.

Fuller Malarkey

Other news sources are doing a better job of uncovering this incident's dark side.

"Police Chief William McManus said a different woman made a similar complaint against Neal a few years ago. The date of that incident was not immediately available.

McManus said that woman later refused to cooperate in a police investigation, so it wasn't pursued. There were no consequences for Neal at the time."

I wonder if police intimidation played a part in the victim withdrawing cooperation.

"Neal was suspended in September for three days for dating an 18-year-old member of the Police Explorer program about two years ago. The program is meant to encourage young people to consider a career in law enforcement.

Officers are forbidden from fraternizing with members of the program for people 14 to 21 years old."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/SAPD-officer-accused-of-rape-5005742.php

I am wondering if the foot dragging on the FOIA requests might not be an attempt to cover up city culpability in turning a blind eye to the indicators of a predator in their midst. A request submitted to the police regarding the police, and the police having the ability and motivation to sidestep / stonewall that request, and this is whatcha get. This will be the norm until we get citizen review with binding citizen recourse.