• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with OC laws and age for hanguns

spiderd58

Hi im 18 and i have just purchased a Taurus PT840 .40 s&w Compact and i was wondering what the open carry laws would be. along with what the possession laws would be. i had purchased the gun from a private seller which i met at a public place. i purchased the gun for self-defense and personal protection while i am out and about. would i e lawfully allowed to openly carry a hot loaded handgun when i got to stores and banks. because i walk everywhere on account of not owning a vehicle. and i dont live in a very good neighborhood. but when i was living in warren Ohio i was brutally stabbed and attacked. was almost killed on account of being stabbed in the neck. and this is the reason i want to carry a firearm. please help me. i really dont know what else to do. i live in Youngstown Ohio.

Chuck!

The person who sold you that gun committed a crime.
It is illegal to "furnish" a handgun to a person who is under 21 in Ohio.
Possibly you could have bought it out of state and brought it here, but somehow I doubt it.

If the police question you about it, they can compel you, that is force you, to testify and give evidence against the person who sold you the gun.
Possibly keep the gun, since it was acquired in the commission of a crime.

If not illegal for you to own the gun, just for the person to sell it to you.

You're a legal aged adult, so I'm not offering advice to you
Just telling you want I know,,,,

Hareuhal

Now what about open carrying the handgun outside of my house.

Apparently the above information isn't important to him. He doesn't care about any laws that have already been broken, just cares about laws he may break in the future

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JustaShooter

Apparently the above information isn't important to him. He doesn't care about any laws that have already been broken, just cares about laws he may break in the future

Well, he didn't break the law by purchasing the gun, the person selling it broke the law so I can see where he's coming from.

To the OP, like Chuck I do not see anything in Ohio law to prevent you from openly carrying your firearm, but I am also not a lawyer - and given the wording of the law prohibiting anyone from furnishing a handgun to a person between 18 and 21 (see ORC 2923.21) I'd also recommend retaining a lawyer for this.

RT48

Both buyer and seller violated the law, assuming OP is neither LEO nor military.

2923.211 Underage purchase of firearm or handgun.

(A) No person under eighteen years of age shall purchase or attempt to purchase a firearm.

(B) No person under twenty-one years of age shall purchase or attempt to purchase a handgun, provided that this division does not apply to the purchase or attempted purchase of a handgun by a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if either of the following apply:

(1) The person is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

(2) The person is an active or reserve member of the armed services of the United States or the Ohio national guard, or was honorably discharged from military service in the active or reserve armed services of the United States or the Ohio national guard, and the person has received firearms training from the armed services or the national guard or equivalent firearms training.

(C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of underage purchase of a firearm, a delinquent act that would be a felony of the fourth degree if it could be committed by an adult. Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of underage purchase of a handgun, a misdemeanor of the second degree.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.211

Last edited:

eye95

Yep. Since it was a purchase, the buyer also broke the law.

I recommend that the OP report his own post and ask to have the thread taken down. He is admitting to a crime in his post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Werz

Now what about open carrying the handgun outside of my house.
Apparently the above information isn't important to him. He doesn't care about any laws that have already been broken, just cares about laws he may break in the future.
Why should he worry? We all know that the police in Youngstown never pay attention to people openly carrying firearms. :uhoh: