• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

charges dismissed by federal agency

TampaBruce

A Federal Agency (Jag attorney) dismissed charges for possession of firearm on government property after a 20 day investigation and has released my firearm to me. I now have received a appearance request for the U.S Courthouse 801 N. Florida ave. here in Tampa, Fl. My question is; Will the charges be dropped as well in this court? Or will I now lose my concealed weapons permit and no longer be able to carry a concealed firearm? Any help would be gratefully appreciated..

Thank you for your time,
Bruce...

jegoodin

A Federal Agency (Jag attorney) dismissed charges for possession of firearm on government property after a 20 day investigation and has released my firearm to me. I now have received a appearance request for the U.S Courthouse 801 N. Florida ave. here in Tampa, Fl. My question is; Will the charges be dropped as well in this court? Or will I now lose my concealed weapons permit and no longer be able to carry a concealed firearm? Any help would be gratefully appreciated..

Thank you for your time,
Bruce...

It sounds like the case was essentially transferred to a different court. Are you active duty? Government civilian?

You probably should not divulge any information pertaining to the facts of the case in this forum and consult an attorney who specializes in firearms cases.

Good luck!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It sounds like the case was essentially transferred to a different court. Are you active duty? Government civilian?

You probably should not divulge any information pertaining to the facts of the case in this forum and consult an attorney who specializes in firearms cases.

Good luck!
Agree - do so post haste.

Most lawyers will grant an initial consultation w/o charge.

TampaBruce

Good luck!

Thanks for the entire reply jegoodin,

I was infromed by the Jag prosecutor that no civil action would be taken do to the misunderstanding that took place. This is my confusion... I can not consult a attorney do to finances and can't get anywhere with the NRA legal department. Makes me wonder if I should keep paying for my membership for the NRA to protect us when we do need there assistance.. At this time it will be me against the courts. What a adventure this is going to be!

notalawyer

In Florida, a CWFL can only be revoked if you are convicted of a Felony, or Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence. Or had Adjudication withheld on either (3 year waiting period). Or has been committed to a mental institution under chapter 394, or similar laws of any other state. Or been adjudicated an incapacitated person under s. 744.331, or similar laws of any other state. Or been committed for the abuse of a controlled substance or been found guilty of a crime under the provisions of chapter 893 or similar laws of any other state. Or Is prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm by any other provision of Florida or federal law.

Also, it's generally not illegal to carry a firearm on government 'property' only government buildings. Except in cases like Post Offices, VA property and other locations covered in the Code of Federal Regulations.

ETA: What is an 'appearance request'?

ETA2: Contact Florida Carry, they may be able to help.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have no idea what the prosecutor's evidence is against you (and even you may not know).

Don't have money for a lawyer and want to go pro-se. Good luck.

Its appears that you have not even started discovery. Very good luck to you.

aadvark

notalawyer:

A Federal Court has Ruled Firearms are Allowed on Federal Post Office Property.

18 U.S.C. 930 Prohibits a Firearm 'in' a Government Building..., NOT 'on' Government Property.

aadvark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
notalawyer:

A Federal Court has Ruled Firearms are Allowed on Federal Post Office Property.

18 U.S.C. 930 Prohibits a Firearm 'in' a Government Building..., NOT 'on' Government Property.

aadvark
That ruling only applies in that specific federal district. Its been discussed here before and you posted on that thread so should be aware of the distinction.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...S-Carry-(OC-or-CC)&highlight=post+office+guns

(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/39/232.1