• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Convenience store shooting in Reading, PA

Maverick9

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=518159

One report is the man waited outside the store, and shot the robbers who were (allegedly) ski-masked and armed as they left.

Another report says he was going into the store and shot them more or less going by him or something.

Another report says 'the gunman was arrested', meaning the carrier who shot the burglars.

I have to say, I would not want anyone to see a burglary in progress, hide outside the store and shoot the BGs as they came out. Though tactically sound, it's a very bad move, since they were a) fleeing, and b) not threatening the ambusher.

I hope he kept his mouth shut and didn't say anything to the cops, because he's likely to get second degree, if not vol. Man 1.
IANAL.

----
Oh and by tactically sound, it doesn't really take into account the backdrop, missing and shooting a car driving by or a pedestrian. It does use the element of surprise very well, though, I suppose.

Last edited:

eye95

Yep, I am never going to shoot to protect property or to stop fleeing BGs. That is just begging to become the criminal in the eyes of our justice system. I hope he can legitimately claim that he shot to protect life or limb from imminent danger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Kopis

But their momma said they were good boys! I saw where the moms were pleading with authorities for JUSTICE for their innocent sweet kids. I would have to respond that justice was already handed out. Oh and their comment "can you imagine if everyone carried a gun and went after criminals" yeah.... i can imagine it, we wouldn't have very many criminals.

Kopis

linked articles from the bottom, sounds like pro 2A DA... yes that rhymes.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=518208&obref=obinsite
DA says shooter very brave

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=518163&obref=obinsite
DA says charges unlikely

The alleged robbers walked into the stores with their handguns drawn, Adams said, and then proceeded to terrorize the store owner before stealing money, cigarettes and lottery tickets.

The men also drew their guns on the concerned citizen before being shot, Adams said.

"These two men chose this store as their prize for the day, and it didn't work out very well," he said.

Adams said the man, who he described as a "concerned citizen," had a weapons permit and was within his legal rights to shoot the alleged robbers.

"He told these individuals to stop, and 'I'm calling the police,' and that's when these individuals drew their guns, and there was a scuffle." Adams said during a press conference Monday night. "He used deadly force before deadly force may have been used on him."

Another article i read said that the DA had CCTV footage of the shooting and witnesses that corroborated his story. He told the men to wait for police, instead they drew their guns and were shot. Guy sounds like he is well practiced in self defense, had his hand on his firearm or had it drawn already and was holding them at gunpoint.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

but their momma said they were good boys! I saw where the moms were pleading with authorities for justice for their innocent sweet kids. I would have to respond that justice was already handed out. Oh and their comment "can you imagine if everyone carried a gun and went after criminals" yeah.... I can imagine it, we wouldn't have very many criminals.

+1-- outstanding !

Ccj

WalkingWolf

I would not do what he did, but it seems to have worked out for him. There are other avenues than putting ones self in harms way. Like getting and recording as much information as possible.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...Oh and their comment "can you imagine if everyone carried a gun and went after criminals" yeah.... i can imagine it, we wouldn't have very many criminals.

Here's a thought:
Arm civilians (maybe like Shaun McClusky and the Armed Citizens Project did in Tucson).
Train the civilians to use said arms.
Replace the "neighborhood watch" signs with "this neighborhood is armed" signs.

The best way to reduce the number of violent crimes committed against the law-abiding populace may be to reduce the number of violent criminals, seeing as the signs (not to mention the LAW) serve as a (2nd and 1st, respectively) warning.

Below are two articles on the Tucson project. I have met Shaun and he seems like a pretty down-to-Earth kind of man, as well as a lousy politician (too blunt, seems honest):

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/28/tucs...ns-to-people-living-in-violent-neighborhoods/

And here is a slightly more leftist take on the same:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/04/01/guns-tucson-arizona-free-column/2042917/

As to the original article:
Carmella Chipperfield, who lives nearby, said robberies are common at the store and she sympathizes with the store's owner.

"That poor man," she said, referring to the owner. "He's very nice and he gets robbed a lot. He's just trying to make a living and this happens."
Maybe it's time for the owner to get a gun and learn to use it, or better yet, decide whether or not continuing to run that store in that particular location is worth the apparent higher risk to life and limb.

Last edited:

Primus

Snip Another article i read said that the DA had CCTV footage of the shooting and witnesses that corroborated his story. He told the men to wait for police said:
Good for him. They will think twice about robbing a store thanks to him.