• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

....... Open carry day.......

speed5racer

You need to get a National chain to have a Very Well Advertised and Publicized....... OPEN CARRY DAY.......

But it can't be a Sporting goods Store. Needs to be Sears or Walmart or Home Depot or even Shell Stations.

Something that makes a statement !

Think of the business they would generate on that day and earn many new loyal customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That has been tossed about for years. Problem is most retail establishments want the money from both sides of that fence.

IMO - it is enough that most places maintain a careful neutrality, yet still do not prevent the legally armed from patronizing them.

georg jetson

You need to get a National chain to have a Very Well Advertised and Publicized....... OPEN CARRY DAY.......

But it can't be a Sporting goods Store. Needs to be Sears or Walmart or Home Depot or even Shell Stations.

Something that makes a statement !

Think of the business they would generate on that day and earn many new loyal customers.

Welcome to OCDO!!! I see you're in Hammond. OC there often?

R.D.

That has been tossed about for years. Problem is most retail establishments want the money from both sides of that fence.

IMO - it is enough that most places maintain a careful neutrality, yet still do not prevent the legally armed from patronizing them.

I agree look no further than the push on Starbucks now we are requested not to carry there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree look no further than the push on Starbucks now we are requested not to carry there.

Starbucks was very neutral on guns, they stayed out of the controversy by stating that they followed the laws of each state. Indeed many different groups had small, quite meet-ups in various Starbucks with considerable regularity w/o problem(s).

Then a group chose to ignore the good in that situation, made a show of force with long guns, went the Youtube route to publicize it, and basically demanded total recognition/acceptance.

IMO - extremely poor public relations that resulted their pushing Starbucks over the line. Who is to blame? I say it is not Starbucks.

Actually Starbucks still doesn't care if you carry a handgun there under the old standard, but I won't and many others are of a similar bent.

Would have been perhaps better if they said "no long guns" in their shops, in much the same way as OCDO limits that topic.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...extremely poor public relations that resulted their pushing Starbucks over the line. Who is to blame? I say it is not Starbucks.

Actually Starbucks still doesn't care if you carry a handgun there under the old standard, but I won't and many others are of a similar bent.

Would have been perhaps better if they said "no long guns" in their shops, in much the same way as OCDO limits that topic.

Agreed on that first point.

But I say that Starbucks does now officially "care" as they publicly disseminated their new official policy that they ask us not to carry. They just "care" the lazy way and won't post the store or say anything if it happens.

WalkingWolf

Nike gave us the best advice for normalizing open carry~~"Just do it!"

Really do not need open carry days, and doubt most major chains would accept it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
...extremely poor public relations that resulted their pushing Starbucks over the line. Who is to blame? I say it is not Starbucks.

But I say that Starbucks does now officially "care" as they publicly disseminated their new official policy that they ask us not to carry. They just "care" the lazy way and won't post the store or say anything if it happens.

Ok, then how about we say that they unofficially "look the other way" or overlook someone OCing, and have apparently advised their employees of the same.

WalkingWolf

SBX had a simple solution by posting two signs, 1~No panhandling/campaigning. 2~We reserve the right to refuse service for any reason.

Problem solved for both sides without getting in the mix.

Oooops forgot sign number 3 and most important, 3~No photographs on SBX property.

Last edited:

R.D.

I never was a big fan of Starbucks, so me not doing business there will never be noticed. Same goes for the cinema here in Houma, La they'll never notice me missing there either since they posted there.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

A corporate policy statement of preference is utterly without consequence, value, or meaning.

Corporations do not have preferences. Individuals have preferences. Corporations do have rights, and policies may be formulated to decide how their rights will be exercised. But a corporate statement of preference a fantastical description of that which does not, and cannot, meaningfully exist.

I do not frequent Starbucks now (nor did I before), but their policy statement is empty as thin air.

Last edited: