Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Official: Obenshain certified loser -- but wait, there's more!

It's Official: Obenshain certified loser -- but wait, there's more!

Could Creigh Deeds be a hero in the expected recount? I look forward to the recount:

Deeds legislation could wipe out Herring’s lead in AG race
    A law championed by Democrat Creigh Deeds could give Republican Mark Obenshain the tools to erase Mark Herring’s 165-vote margin in Virgina’s attorney general’s race.

Deeds, who lost the AG contest to Bob McDonnell in 2005 by 360 votes, subsequently authored legislation requiring all optical scan ballots be re-run in the event of a recount, and that ballots containing write-in votes, undervotes or overvotes be hand-counted.
    Also, if there is a villian in this, perhaps it is that poor excuse for a registrar, Larry Haake:

Failure to purge puts Chesterfield in thick of AG showdown
    Chesterfield County’s refusal to clean up its voter rolls before the Nov. 5 Virginia election threatens to turn the populous Richmond suburb into a legal battleground in the still-undecided attorney general’s race.

True the Vote, a national election-watch group, warned Chesterfield last month to scrub out ineligible voters, or be sued. The State Board of Elections had given the county a list of 2,200 names to review.

But Chesterfield General Registrar Lawrence Haake declined to purge any voters, saying it was too close to the election.
    Haake later went the Rachel Maddow propaganda show to brag about his defiance.

Voter Fraud must be taken seriously. If all else fails, there is the Nuclear Option!
    Last edited by Repeater; 11-25-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Banned
    Well, the law is terrible IMO. Only scanners to look at most ballots?

Terrible terrible .... if it bites the demorats in the butt, good !

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, the law is terrible IMO. Only scanners to look at most ballots?

Terrible terrible .... if it bites the demorats in the butt, good !
    Listen, Chad - we don't like your kind hanging aound down here.

So, to date we know that the winner may or may not be the winner. The big question is whether or not Haake will suffer for his deeds.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Listen, Chad - we don't like your kind hanging aound down here.

So, to date we know that the winner may or may not be the winner. The big question is whether or not Haake will suffer for his deeds.

stay safe.
    Let no good deed go unpunished, but really does that include Miss Deeds?

Her father has provided the nuclear option - let the games continue.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The big question is whether or not Haake will suffer for his dDeeds.
    That is absolutely hilarious! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Let no good deed go unpunished, but really does that include Miss Deeds?

Her father has provided the nuclear option - let the games continue.
    With all due respect, it's WAR!

Seriously, anyone remember J. Christian Adams? Well, he now heads the Election Integrity Defense Project of the ACRU. They are considering a lawsuit against Haake:
    A firestorm has erupted over voter ballots in Chesterfield. Some are challenging that a portion of the votes may be faulty. This unfolding saga would have the biggest effect on the race for attorney general. Candidates Democrat Mark Herring and Republican Senator Mark Obenshain are separated by just 165 votes.

However, an attorney from the American Civil Rights Union is citing a Virginia law. Attorney J. Christian Adams says that registrars have only 30 days to get rid of invalid voters.

"Haake had 30 days, from the time the State Board of Elections told him about these people, to clean up the rolls, and he broke the law. It's that simple," said Adams.

Legal action has been threatened against the Chesterfield Registrar, for not completing the voting "purge" before the election.

Not Larry Sabato: "25,000-50,000 AG Ballots Still Left To Be Counted"

Why, it's the UnderCounts:

25,000-50,000 AG Ballots Still Left To Be Counted
    Remember the 2000 election debacle in Florida? The next year (in a big overreaction) the Virginia General Assembly tightened recount law in the Commonwealth. The legislators who passed this bill essentially turned recounts into a second canvass rather than an examination of ballots.

To his credit, after the 2005 recount disaster Senator Deeds worked to change Virginia's recount law back to something worthwhile and a few years later he was successful. Now the law requires a hand count of ballots that machines don't pick up votes for.

How many ballots are we talking about?

Total Fairfax County undervotes to be hand examined: 5,359 (not including absentee undervotes).

Figuring in absentee ballots, Fairfax probably has around 6,500 votes left to hand examine.

Each locality has different systems, but with 1 in 7 voters in Virginia voting in Fairfax, 45,500 would be the approximate number of statewide undervotes to be examined if other counties reported the same rates -- which can widely vary by voting system.

With that in mind- if you are calling for Mark Obenshain to concede this election -- please stop. Every one of these ballots need to be counted -- and the only then can we say who "won" or "lost".

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Getting Real interesting and I still don't understand why they can't get an accurate count the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Getting Real interesting and I still don't understand why they can't get an accurate count the first time.
    Heard a response to that very question the other day, Peter.

The reply was, "Well first they have to want to."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Heard a response to that very question the other day, Peter.

The reply was, "Well first they have to want to."
    At last....an honest answer

At last....an honest answer
    So you are saying Diogones can finally go home? I'm not so sure about that.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

So you are saying Diogones can finally go home? I'm not so sure about that.

stay safe.
    Diogones was a Cynic. He was looking for an honest man.

Instead he found scoundrels and thieves......things haven't changed much.

Seriously?

With idiots like Larry Haake making up the rules as he goes along, and the Commonwealth allowing him to get away with it, what other result could happen?

This is the same fool that says it is illegal to OC at a polling place unless you are a LEO.

He needs to be charged, arrested and prosecuted!
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 11-26-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    With idiots like Larry Haake making up the rules as he goes along, and the Commonwealth allowing him to get away with it, what other result could happen?

This is the same fool that says it is illegal to OC at a polling place unless you are a LEO.

He needs to be charged, arrested and prosecuted!
    If being a stupid Haake hack (political) were a crime, then we could fill the new Richmond city jail over night.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-26-2013 at 01:16 AM.

If being a stupid Haake hack (political) were a crime, then we could fill the new Richmond city jail over night.
    Ah, the GrapeShot Doctrine: Problem is, Common Sense ain't popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Ah, the GrapeShot Doctrine: Problem is, Common Sense ain't popular.
    Thomas Paine had something to say on the subject - a mite bit strong for this forum, but his introductory sentence applies in so many ways.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom."
    http://www.constitution.org/tp/comsense.htm

Thomas Paine had something to say on the subject - a mite bit strong for this forum, but his introductory sentence applies in so many ways.

http://www.constitution.org/tp/comsense.htm
    Ahhhh, beyond Common Sense -- Words of Wisdom!

Sadly, Wisdom is in short supply.

Recount has been requested.

Paging Chad. Chad to the white courtesy phone, please.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

stay safe.
    There is also the consideration that a large number of ballots may be challanged in Chesterfield county I hear, as the Registrar is said to have refused to purge the voter rolls of those not eligible to vote.

There is also the consideration that a large number of ballots may be challanged in Chesterfield county I hear, as the Registrar is said to have refused to purge the voter rolls of those not eligible to vote.
    How would that happen? Provisional ballots have a name on them, but most ballots do not.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    How would that happen? Provisional ballots have a name on them, but most ballots do not.
    As I understand it, names were on the rolls (they were not provisional ballots) but people had moved or otherwise should have been disqualified. It has been suggested that there are several thousand of them. Have even heard/seen conversation about possible ACLU law suit, BUT I have no documented knowledge of any of this.

As I understand it, names were on the rolls (they were not provisional ballots) but people had moved or otherwise should have been disqualified. It has been suggested that there are several thousand of them. Have even heard/seen conversation about possible ACLU law suit, BUT I have no documented knowledge of any of this.
    My understanding is that he was directed to investigate and purge by the BOE.

Under Va law that had to be done within 30 days and he refused.
    I've heard the same rumor about a lawsuit but he had better hope Obenshain isn't elected on a recount.
    Vengeance is mine sayeth the AG

I've heard the same rumor about a lawsuit but he had better hope Obenshain isn't elected on a recount.
    Tactics popularized by Mickey Spillane

Banned

stay safe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4345811.html

Virginia State Sen. Mark Obenshain (R-Harrisonburg) plans to ask for a recount in the state's race for attorney general, his campaign announced Tuesday. Obenshain currently trails State Sen. Mark Herring (D-Loudon) by 165 votes out of over 2.2 million cast. The race is the closest statewide contest in Virginia history.

I understand what you and Grapeshot are saying and actually agree that a certain person should be prosecuted for gross dereliction of duty, and possibly the intentional fixing of the election.

My question is how would you remedy the skewed election result? Trying to segregate the legitimate ballots cast from those cast by ineligibles seems to be an impossible task akin to getting the toothpaste back in the tube.

Since we can't segregate the illegitimate votes from the legitimate votes, there are only 3 options:

1) proportional reduction of the vote

2) accept all votes

3) reject all votes.

Option 2 is the only real option because there is no authority to pick 1 or 3.
    Last edited by Thundar; 11-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast