Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Officer brutally attacked in RVA - Fund established

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Security Officer brutally attacked in RVA - Fund established

A Richmond security guard is recovering from a brutal attack while members of the art community rally behind him. 66-year-old Jack Newsom says, his shift was just ending Saturday night when he was assaulted.

Newsom was left with bruises around his neck, two black eyes, a broken tooth and no memory of what happened.

Back at the depot, the exhibit is now closed to the public but organizers are asking people to "leave a note of kindness" for Newsom. There are also plans to host a benefit for the security guard. See post #18 if you wish to contribute.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24068706/...t-art-festival

Please see picture within the link above - obviously this was a potential life threatening event.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-27-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added to title
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    a 66 yr old guy? sad ... but he should not be a security guard really .... sounds like easy money sometimes but it had its risks like any other job.

He does not recall anything .. so his attackers will likely get away unless that have big mouths...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    a 66 yr old guy? sad ... but he should not be a security guard really .... sounds like easy money sometimes but it had its risks like any other job.

He does not recall anything .. so his attackers will likely get away unless that have big mouths...
    Some security positions are passive, observe and report jobs, and seldom have physical confrontations. Can't fault the man for responsibly providing for himself and his.

I know this area fairly well and I'm hoping that one of the video cams captured telling/useful evidence.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A Richmond security guard is recovering from a brutal attack while members of the art community rally behind him. 66-year-old Jack Newsom says, his shift was just ending Saturday night when he was assaulted.

Newsom was left with bruises around his neck, two black eyes, a broken tooth and no memory of what happened.

Back at the depot, the exhibit is now closed to the public but organizers are asking people to "leave a note of kindness" for Newsom. There are also plans to host a benefit for the security guard.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24068706/...t-art-festival

Please see picture within the link above - obviously this was a potential life threatening event.
    I saw that on the news. We live now in a culture of depravity. Elsewhere, the "game' (sic) is called "Knockout" - I guess everywhere in public now, Condition White is a luxury.

Does that notion also apply to commenting on any of a number of subjects for which you do not posses "expert" qualifications?

In Virginia, armed as well as unarmed security guards are essentially observe-and-report positions. Arrest power, without additional certification and commisioning, is restricted to shoplifting (despite what some other folks might say they do/did when working as ASGs) (That discusion has pretty much been beaten to a draw - one side cites both statute, the absence of citation booklets, and lack of case law while the other side recounts anecdotal information.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Does that notion also apply to commenting on any of a number of subjects for which you do not posses "expert" qualifications?

In Virginia, armed as well as unarmed security guards are essentially observe-and-report positions. Arrest power, without additional certification and commisioning, is restricted to shoplifting (despite what some other folks might say they do/did when working as ASGs) (That discusion has pretty much been beaten to a draw - one side cites both statute, the absence of citation booklets, and lack of case law while the other side recounts anecdotal information.)

stay safe.
    Welllll, I have been a qualified expert by a court; have you?

Shutty shutty, whatty whatty. Case closed.

Next.

Next.
    In what area were you so recognized by the courts in Virginia? Somehow doubt in Virginia Dept. of Criminal Justice Services training standards or standards of operation of state & municipal facilities. Those were Skids areas of expertise I believe.

Mine were limited to real property management and construction & maintenance standards in one life and use of force training in another.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-26-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Banned
    In what area were you so recognized by the courts in Virginia? Somehow doubt in Virginia Dept. of Criminal Justice Services training standards or standards of operation of state & municipal facilities. Those were Skids areas of expertise I believe.

Mine were limited to real property management and construction & maintenance standards in one life and use of force training in another.

You're starting to act like a troll Grape....I reported the post.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-27-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Next.
    I'll ask the question. What Va court in what case? You're the one bragging in your usual childish manner and this IS THE VA FORUM.
    What field are you an expert in Chatty David?
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-27-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Next.
    I'll kindly point out a little bit of advice that can be found in Rule #5:

CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
    While I could give you the benefit of the doubt, your claim of being an "expert" has bearing on the legal advice you tend to give out like confetti. So by extension, it can be argued that your claim to "expert" status is the authority you use for the rest of your LEGAL advice (granted, you've also been known to occasionally provide cites).
    Skid mark, Peter Nap, Grapeshot, and others: if my extension of Forum Rule #5 is found to be a perversion of its original intent, please let me know.

@Peter Nap: Don't give him the satisfaction. I know it can be difficult with the kinds of things he posts, but attacking him in violation of #6 is beneath you.

On topic: Looks to be another case of "Knockout" assault by cowards. Its sad to see this brand of gang violence is not being addressed as it should be, seeing as news stations nationwide insist on calling it a "game."
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 11-27-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

stay safe.

Next.

You're starting to act like a troll Grape....I reported the post.
    You have contributed to disrupting a thread of some import to us locally. You implied an expertise that would not appear to have any application here - I sincerely questioned that and via my query stated why. Your silence, except to insult me, is telling - both so noted. It my strongest suggestion that you cease such disruptions and rule violations. Let this be an end to both of these.

Gentleman - back on topic please.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I'll kindly point out a little bit of advice that can be found in Rule #5:

While I could give you the benefit of the doubt, your claim of being an "expert" has bearing on the legal advice you tend to give out like confetti. So by extension, it can be argued that your claim to "expert" status is the authority you use for the rest of your LEGAL advice (granted, you've also been known to occasionally provide cites).
    Skid mark, Peter Nap, Grapeshot, and others: if my extension of Forum Rule #5 is found to be a perversion of its original intent, please let me know.

@Peter Nap: Don't give him the satisfaction. I know it can be difficult with the kinds of things he posts, but attacking him in violation of #6 is beneath you.

On topic: Looks to be another case of "Knockout" assault by cowards. Its sad to see this brand of gang violence is not being addressed as it should be, seeing as news stations nationwide insist on calling it a "game."
    All rules are considered including rule#5 which could have some application as "court expert" is IMO a legal claim.

On topic: This could be a "Knockout" assault or a criminal that thought he had been caught in the act. We just don't know yet. There will be some serious charges when the perpetrator is caught - looking for someone to drop a dime on him.

Next.
    Cite the cases where you were called to testify as a expert witness?

RYM beat me to the punch on this one.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 11-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Please everyone do not continue to take this thread in a divergent direction.

I know it is very tempting, but let me handle this one.

More information on Jack Newsom from Channel 8
    http://www.wric.com/story/24077371/c...security-guard

Two funds have been set up to help Jack Newsom:

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...rd-fund/110974
    &
    https://fundly.com/help-jack-new-some-assault-victim
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-27-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: channel correction

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Please everyone do not continue to take this thread in a divergent direction.

I know it is very tempting, but let me handle this one.

More information on Jack Newsom from Channel 6
    http://www.wric.com/story/24077371/c...security-guard

Two funds have been set up to help Jack Newsom:

&
    Thanks Grape!

No one should have to go through that, especially this near Christmas. I'll send a little something to help.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    --snipped a little--

No one should have to go through that, especially this near Christmas. I'll send a little something to help.

There are indeed good people in and around Greater Richmond and they do pull together.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-27-2013 at 11:31 AM.

I'm going to reply to this in the manner that I believe it was originally posted…,

There are indeed good people in and around Greater Richmond and they do pull together.
    whether this individual was armed or unarmed, guard or officer, male or female, young or old, rich or poor, qualified or not, to my thinking is irrelevant. If what has been printed is all there is to this incident, then there would seem to be no reasonable explanation for the attack.

There is much in this world that we cannot prevent, or correct, with good intentions or even money, but that shouldn't keep us from TRYING…, and if that means we want to give something to help others along the way, well then I'm thankful to God and all of those who made so many sacrifices that we are still able to do that…, aren't you?

davidmcbeth, where do we go to get qualified to do the right thing? How much does it cost? Have you ever known someone who never needed to ask…, that somehow they just knew, and did it…, and who were they? The story goes that a sixty something former Marine purposely placed himself between a woman falling from three stories and the ground trying cushion her fall in hopes of saving her life, yet, I'm not going to question his qualifications, methods or motives.

Possibly unlike some others, I eagerly await your reply.

Thank you Grapeshot, I too want to contribute, in the manner that this was first posted.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.
    Last edited by sidestreet; 11-27-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Security Officer brutally attacked in RVA - Fund established

My heart goes out to this man whom I have never met. While I make no pretense that I know how he feels, I can say, "There but for the Grace of God go I."

Decided to make this one of my Christmas projects - have amended the title and given it a stickie. Perhaps others will be so inclined to reach out and help someone less fortunate. This is the season for giving is it not.

&

From channel 12 -

"I just felt like I needed to do something because no one should have gone through what happened to you," 15-year-old Hannah Harris said to Jack Newsom as she gave him her family's "rainy day" fund.

Through tears Newsom said, "It feels good that somebody cares."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24079943/...ured-in-attack

A few bucks sent. Many charities are worthwhile, but you never know exactly how the money is spent. It's good to know that the $$ sent will go straight towards helping this specific individual.

Donation sent!!

Richmond police release more information on security guard beating.

It was not only caught on a security camera, but their is a potential witness out there.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24150197/...-guard-beating

stay safe.
    Armed Security have "Arrest without warrant" powers for violations of the law that occur in their presence, while on duty, on the property they contracted to protect. The shoplifting "Clause" is an exception where they can arrest without warrant for a violation that did not occur in their presence. See § 9.1-146 VA Code.

Personally, I think that the power should be more heavily curtailed, being that the entire training process for Armed Security is approximately 50 hours.

stay safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Armed Security have "Arrest without warrant" powers for violations of the law that occur in their presence, while on duty, on the property they contracted to protect. The shoplifting "Clause" is an exception where they can arrest without warrant for a violation that did not occur in their presence. See § 9.1-146 VA Code.

Personally, I think that the power should be more heavily curtailed, being that the entire training process for Armed Security is approximately 50 hours.
    Now that you have a tiger by the tail, watcha gonna do with it? Skid is a recognized, accepted expert on DCJS training standards.

Full disclosure:

§ 9.1-146. Limitation on powers of registered armed security officers.

Compliance with the provisions of this article shall not itself authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or exercise any powers of a conservator of the peace. A registered armed security officer of a private security services business while at a location which the business is contracted to protect shall have the power to effect an arrest for an offense occurring (i) in his presence on such premises or (ii) in the presence of a merchant, agent, or employee of the merchant the private security business has contracted to protect, if the merchant, agent, or employee had probable cause to believe that the person arrested had shoplifted or committed willful concealment of goods as contemplated by § 18.2-106. For the purposes of § 19.2-74, a registered armed security officer of a private security services business shall be considered an arresting officer.

TO my read, shoplifting is the only reason they can so arrest.

Now that you have a tiger by the tail, watcha gonna do with it? Skid is a recognized, accepted expert on DCJS training standards.
    You highlighted the incorrect part of the code. 9.1-146 addresses two different elements of Security Officer Arrest Authority. The first is the limited power of arrest. That is addressed in the first part (section i). It stipulates that their power of arrest is limited to arrests occurring in their presence. The section that follows (section ii) presents an exception to the "in their presence" rule, in that they can arrest for an offense that did not occur in their presence IF it is related to shoplifting, and happened in the presence of the merchant, agent, or employee of the merchant that the private officer is protecting. Note that shoplifting is not mentioned in the code until section ii.

I'm not going to question "skid" on his qualifications, as I know nothing about him. I'll simply state my own: I am a full-time sworn LEO, and a DCJS instructor for Private Security Services. I'm an adjunct instructor at a training school, and teach arrest authority, in addition to a few other subjects.
    On the "anecdotal" side, I've worked private security in the past and have personally effected arrests in that capacity.

9.1-146 VA Code

§ 9.1-146. Limitation on powers of registered armed security officers.

Compliance with the provisions of this article shall not itself authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or exercise any powers of a conservator of the peace. A registered armed security officer of a private security services business while at a location which the business is contracted to protect shall have the power to effect an arrest for an offense occurring (i) in his presence on such premises or (ii) in the presence of a merchant, agent, or employee of the merchant the private security business has contracted to protect, if the merchant, agent, or employee had probable cause to believe that the person arrested had shoplifted or committed willful concealment of goods as contemplated by § 18.2-106. For the purposes of § 19.2-74, a registered armed security officer of a private security services business shall be considered an arresting officer.
    Last edited by starbuck; 12-11-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast