• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Security Officer brutally attacked in RVA - Fund established

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A Richmond security guard is recovering from a brutal attack while members of the art community rally behind him. 66-year-old Jack Newsom says, his shift was just ending Saturday night when he was assaulted.

Newsom was left with bruises around his neck, two black eyes, a broken tooth and no memory of what happened.

Back at the depot, the exhibit is now closed to the public but organizers are asking people to "leave a note of kindness" for Newsom. There are also plans to host a benefit for the security guard. See post #18 if you wish to contribute.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24068706...y-attacked-at-site-of-rva-street-art-festival

Please see picture within the link above - obviously this was a potential life threatening event.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
a 66 yr old guy? sad ... but he should not be a security guard really .... sounds like easy money sometimes but it had its risks like any other job.

He does not recall anything .. so his attackers will likely get away unless that have big mouths...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
a 66 yr old guy? sad ... but he should not be a security guard really .... sounds like easy money sometimes but it had its risks like any other job.

He does not recall anything .. so his attackers will likely get away unless that have big mouths...
Some security positions are passive, observe and report jobs, and seldom have physical confrontations. Can't fault the man for responsibly providing for himself and his.

I know this area fairly well and I'm hoping that one of the video cams captured telling/useful evidence.

Repeater

A Richmond security guard is recovering from a brutal attack while members of the art community rally behind him. 66-year-old Jack Newsom says, his shift was just ending Saturday night when he was assaulted.

Newsom was left with bruises around his neck, two black eyes, a broken tooth and no memory of what happened.

Back at the depot, the exhibit is now closed to the public but organizers are asking people to "leave a note of kindness" for Newsom. There are also plans to host a benefit for the security guard.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24068706...y-attacked-at-site-of-rva-street-art-festival

Please see picture within the link above - obviously this was a potential life threatening event.

I saw that on the news. We live now in a culture of depravity. Elsewhere, the "game' (sic) is called "Knockout" - I guess everywhere in public now, Condition White is a luxury. :(

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Does that notion also apply to commenting on any of a number of subjects for which you do not posses "expert" qualifications?

In Virginia, armed as well as unarmed security guards are essentially observe-and-report positions. Arrest power, without additional certification and commisioning, is restricted to shoplifting (despite what some other folks might say they do/did when working as ASGs) (That discusion has pretty much been beaten to a draw - one side cites both statute, the absence of citation booklets, and lack of case law while the other side recounts anecdotal information.)

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does that notion also apply to commenting on any of a number of subjects for which you do not posses "expert" qualifications?

In Virginia, armed as well as unarmed security guards are essentially observe-and-report positions. Arrest power, without additional certification and commisioning, is restricted to shoplifting (despite what some other folks might say they do/did when working as ASGs) (That discusion has pretty much been beaten to a draw - one side cites both statute, the absence of citation booklets, and lack of case law while the other side recounts anecdotal information.)

stay safe.

Welllll, I have been a qualified expert by a court; have you?

Shutty shutty, whatty whatty. Case closed.

Next.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Next.

In what area were you so recognized by the courts in Virginia? Somehow doubt in Virginia Dept. of Criminal Justice Services training standards or standards of operation of state & municipal facilities. Those were Skids areas of expertise I believe.

Mine were limited to real property management and construction & maintenance standards in one life and use of force training in another.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
In what area were you so recognized by the courts in Virginia? Somehow doubt in Virginia Dept. of Criminal Justice Services training standards or standards of operation of state & municipal facilities. Those were Skids areas of expertise I believe.

Mine were limited to real property management and construction & maintenance standards in one life and use of force training in another.

You're starting to act like a troll Grape....I reported the post.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Next.

I'll ask the question. What Va court in what case? You're the one bragging in your usual childish manner and this IS THE VA FORUM.
What field are you an expert in Chatty David?

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Next.

I'll kindly point out a little bit of advice that can be found in Rule #5:

CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

While I could give you the benefit of the doubt, your claim of being an "expert" has bearing on the legal advice you tend to give out like confetti. So by extension, it can be argued that your claim to "expert" status is the authority you use for the rest of your LEGAL advice (granted, you've also been known to occasionally provide cites).
Skid mark, Peter Nap, Grapeshot, and others: if my extension of Forum Rule #5 is found to be a perversion of its original intent, please let me know.

@Peter Nap: Don't give him the satisfaction. I know it can be difficult with the kinds of things he posts, but attacking him in violation of #6 is beneath you.

On topic: Looks to be another case of "Knockout" assault by cowards. Its sad to see this brand of gang violence is not being addressed as it should be, seeing as news stations nationwide insist on calling it a "game."

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

stay safe.

Next.

You're starting to act like a troll Grape....I reported the post.
You have contributed to disrupting a thread of some import to us locally. You implied an expertise that would not appear to have any application here - I sincerely questioned that and via my query stated why. Your silence, except to insult me, is telling - both so noted. It my strongest suggestion that you cease such disruptions and rule violations. Let this be an end to both of these.

Gentleman - back on topic please.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'll kindly point out a little bit of advice that can be found in Rule #5:

While I could give you the benefit of the doubt, your claim of being an "expert" has bearing on the legal advice you tend to give out like confetti. So by extension, it can be argued that your claim to "expert" status is the authority you use for the rest of your LEGAL advice (granted, you've also been known to occasionally provide cites).
Skid mark, Peter Nap, Grapeshot, and others: if my extension of Forum Rule #5 is found to be a perversion of its original intent, please let me know.

@Peter Nap: Don't give him the satisfaction. I know it can be difficult with the kinds of things he posts, but attacking him in violation of #6 is beneath you.

On topic: Looks to be another case of "Knockout" assault by cowards. Its sad to see this brand of gang violence is not being addressed as it should be, seeing as news stations nationwide insist on calling it a "game."

All rules are considered including rule#5 which could have some application as "court expert" is IMO a legal claim.

On topic: This could be a "Knockout" assault or a criminal that thought he had been caught in the act. We just don't know yet. There will be some serious charges when the perpetrator is caught - looking for someone to drop a dime on him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please everyone do not continue to take this thread in a divergent direction.

I know it is very tempting, but let me handle this one.

More information on Jack Newsom from Channel 8
http://www.wric.com/story/24077371/community-sets-up-fundraisers-to-help-assaulted-security-guard

Two funds have been set up to help Jack Newsom:

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/rva-street-art-festival-security-guard-fund/110974
&
https://fundly.com/help-jack-new-some-assault-victim

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Please everyone do not continue to take this thread in a divergent direction.

I know it is very tempting, but let me handle this one.

More information on Jack Newsom from Channel 6
http://www.wric.com/story/24077371/community-sets-up-fundraisers-to-help-assaulted-security-guard

Two funds have been set up to help Jack Newsom:

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/rva-street-art-festival-security-guard-fund/110974
&
https://fundly.com/help-jack-new-some-assault-victim

Thanks Grape!

No one should have to go through that, especially this near Christmas. I'll send a little something to help.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped a little--

No one should have to go through that, especially this near Christmas. I'll send a little something to help.

icon14.png

There are indeed good people in and around Greater Richmond and they do pull together.

Last edited:

sidestreet

I'm going to reply to this in the manner that I believe it was originally posted…,

icon14.png

There are indeed good people in and around Greater Richmond and they do pull together.

whether this individual was armed or unarmed, guard or officer, male or female, young or old, rich or poor, qualified or not, to my thinking is irrelevant. If what has been printed is all there is to this incident, then there would seem to be no reasonable explanation for the attack.

There is much in this world that we cannot prevent, or correct, with good intentions or even money, but that shouldn't keep us from TRYING…, and if that means we want to give something to help others along the way, well then I'm thankful to God and all of those who made so many sacrifices that we are still able to do that…, aren't you?

davidmcbeth, where do we go to get qualified to do the right thing? How much does it cost? Have you ever known someone who never needed to ask…, that somehow they just knew, and did it…, and who were they? The story goes that a sixty something former Marine purposely placed himself between a woman falling from three stories and the ground trying cushion her fall in hopes of saving her life, yet, I'm not going to question his qualifications, methods or motives.

Possibly unlike some others, I eagerly await your reply.

Thank you Grapeshot, I too want to contribute, in the manner that this was first posted.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

SAvage410

A few bucks sent. Many charities are worthwhile, but you never know exactly how the money is spent. It's good to know that the $$ sent will go straight towards helping this specific individual.