• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Red River ammo?

rs3604

Any body ever hear of or use this stuff or try it? I had a cb that a guy in Oklahoma traded me for 2 boxes of this ammo. I do know, because it says right on the box, that it is remanufactured. I looked on line and can't find any info on it and their web site is down. Unsure about shooting remanned .40 s&w. I looked at the brass and it is stamped win, rem, fed, Speer, hornady, ppu, Tula, CCI, and one round is marked *I* , have no idea what that is. Measuring lenghth and diameter it seems ok.

rs3604

The length seems ok but i don't have a mic.The weight of the factory fed 180gr champion fmjfn is .60 and all of the red river 180gr fmjfn is also .60 so that's a good sign. I did find it mentioned on a couple of forums and some say nothing but problems while others claim 1000'sof rounds with no problems. So,basically it's the same as anything you research on the net. I guess i will take to the range and find out when i get some time. Will post results if any one is interested, but it will be a while before i get there.

flb_78

Ive read that the primers may be hard and that it's dirty powder.

How sensitive is your scale, just a few grains of powder can be the difference between a fun day at the range and a long day at the hospital.

09jisaac

I would shoot it if I had a .40. I would definitely shoot it if it is someone else's gun I would be shooting it out of.

neuroblades

From what I've read online and in other forums, it seems to be pretty decent stuff, a few FTF and some FTE, a few failures to fire but nothing outrageously bad or damaging from the posts I read through. I guess it all comes down to the price you pay for it.

Personally, there's only been one brand that's "re-manufactured" that I'd trust outright and that's American Eagle.

ps1mhd

From what I've read online and in other forums, it seems to be pretty decent stuff, a few FTF and some FTE, a few failures to fire but nothing outrageously bad or damaging from the posts I read through. I guess it all comes down to the price you pay for it.

Personally, there's only been one brand that's "re-manufactured" that I'd trust outright and that's American Eagle.

Your link takes me to an add for women's Kick Boot Jeans did you mean this?

Mike

bunnspecial

I've bought and shot a fair bit of American Eagle, and that's the first I've heard of it being remanufactured. The boxes don't give any indication as such, nor does Federal's website.

flb_78

Ive never seen Federal American Eagle ammo that was reloaded either.

The "link" is probably the advertising software in the forum. I probably don't see it because Im run ad blocking software.

Attachments

• ocdo.jpg
    ocdo.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 53

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I gotta be 100% honest with folks:

Anecdotally, I've never had a factory/commercial reload failure.

I've had multiple factory original failures (though never with premium self-defense ammo). I've had dud primers, and even a round which was finished except for the lack of an extraction groove.

YMMV.

Last edited:

rs3604

Walkingwolf, I agree but I don't reload though I would like to.
Marshaul, I have had a few failures with factory ammo as well but usually the low price stuff ,I.e. wwb.
I have just never heard of red river and don't know anyone who has used their ammo and was curious about it and any problems or lack of.