• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do You Carry Chambered?

Kebler414

Was curious about how many people chamber a round when they carry and how many don't. And your reason for doing so. I myself prefer not to chamber a round. But that's just my preference. I know my firearm will not just discharge but I feel more comfortable w/o a round chambered.

WalkingWolf

Was curious about how many people chamber a round when they carry and how many don't. And your reason for doing so. I myself prefer not to chamber a round. But that's just my preference. I know my firearm will not just discharge but I feel more comfortable w/o a round chambered.
It's your gun, carry it how you feel best, or most comfortable. Doesn't really matter what the rest of us do.

Primus

I do personally carry chambered. Carry a Glock 23 .40 always chambered. Only time not a round in the tube is when cleaning. Even without the external safety I'm still ok with it.

I will say this, to agree with you, it took me a while to get used to the IDEA if it being pointed at my junk when it carry it concealed (appendix carry). I eventually got over it pretty quick since I carry everyday.

On a not chambered note, if you DON'T chamber a round, just make sure you train ALOT at the range with it exactly like that. So drill drawing, then chambering, then shooting. If you train by starting with it loaded at the range, then walk around unloaded, your apt to get hurt. That extra couple seconds it takes to pull, shoot, realize your mistake, rack a round, then shoot again..... it could hurt you.

You carry how ever YOU feel safe/comfortable, just train for it. Train like you fight, fight like you train.....

WalkingWolf

Trent91

The moment she saw a threat about to happen she should have been putting distance between her and the attacker.

You're right, but can you expect every untrained civilian to react the "right" way in a situation like that? I wouldn't, and the round in the chamber undoubtedly provided a better defense.

I never said it was a military-grade training film. Only food for thought.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I thought for sure i saw another of these threads here just last week so i did a search of "one in the chamber" in the title only . http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1747779

Im shocked that it has been so long since one has been started on this forum...But in anycase there is enough reading in that search to keep you busy for a very, very long time.

Me to what as it been only a week or two.

It appears that the only people who ask this question are those who are insecure with carrying the way they do.

Last edited:

Maverick9

I do personally carry chambered. Carry a Glock 23 .40 always chambered. Only time not a round in the tube is when cleaning. Even without the external safety I'm still ok with it.

I will say this, to agree with you, it took me a while to get used to the IDEA if it being pointed at my junk when it carry it concealed (appendix carry). I eventually got over it pretty quick since I carry everyday.

On a not chambered note, if you DON'T chamber a round, just make sure you train ALOT at the range with it exactly like that. So drill drawing, then chambering, then shooting. If you train by starting with it loaded at the range, then walk around unloaded, your apt to get hurt. That extra couple seconds it takes to pull, shoot, realize your mistake, rack a round, then shoot again..... it could hurt you.

You carry how ever YOU feel safe/comfortable, just train for it. Train like you fight, fight like you train.....

Excellent post.

Maverick9

I'm carrying in condition 0, out and about (chambered, only a trigger 'safety' (Glock)). I rack the slide when I am in the study, then holster carefully and go out. Inside I carry in condition 3, no safety, chamber empty.

This is not ideal to be changing up, but it's something I'm trying for a trial period.

When I'm carrying the XD, I carry chambered all the time, since it has a grip safety.

I'd suggest you consider times when it would be a problem to rack the slide. Racking is noisy, it's hazardous (you're handling the firearm needlessly), if you're seated in your car, you're sweeping your own leg, you're 'brandishing', especially if you -don't- immediately shoot, and you're losing valuable time. What if you're wounded?

Also the BG has at least 2 movement tims on you. By having to rack the slide you are adding 1-2 more time steps.

Finally, if you're hurt (say a car accident then a robbery attempt or car jacking attempt) you have to go to a one-handed rack. Have you trained that? Oh yeah, though the trigger is a bit different a revolver is always chambered.

You didn't say what kind of firearm you are carrying unchambered. Hopefully not a 5-shot LCR, lol.

Good luck and welcome!

Last edited:

Kebler414

I have a Springfield XD9 and two full size 1911s (One Springfield, the other S&W). These are some very good points that I need to think about and consider. The more I read and think about it, I am starting to lean more towards keeping one in the chamber. I do have problems with my hands sweating and this does cause some difficulty with racking on occasion. I will definitely put a lot more thought into this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Av8r115

Always a round chambered in my G21. When I was deciding what to carry, I saw all the videos showing the Glock will not accidentally fire, so I'm comfortable carrying it chambered. And like someone else posted, racking the slide makes noise. Plus that's one more round before the magazine is empty. Last, although I practice consistently, I don't consider myself an experienced tactical shooter, so in a defensive situation I don't want any distractions. I want to be able to get that first shot off as quickly and accurately as possible.

BrianB

Hi Kebler - welcome to OCDO. I think the "carry however your comfortable" replies are courteous but I don't really feel that's really in your best interest.

I think that those who carry in "condition 3": a) drastically underestimate the amazingly sudden nature of assaults and the extremely small amount of elapsed time before the "winner" is evident, and b) need to spend more quality time with a loaded firearm to get a comfort level with it.

In this Tueller drill video the "intended victim" is completely aware of the impending "attack", is carrying openly on her strong side, and still barely gets her second shot off before the "perp" reaches her -- and her draw is reasonably fast. In real life nearly none of those advantages will generally be held by the victim.

Some will probably respond that you're better to have a gun with you in condition 3 than no gun at all. That may or may not be true depending upon the circumstances. In a life or death assault that dump of adrenaline into your system is going to demolish your fine motor skills. If you have trained yourself to draw and chamber a round smoothly and efficiently you may be able to do it successfully, but no way in hell you'll be as fast as if you didn't have to chamber a round.

I think it's reasonable to ask what your concern about a round chambered is. This isn't the old days where we had to worry about the gun falling to the ground or being struck and just going off. Modern firearms can be spiked to the ground, with a round chambered, as hard as you can throw it, and there's no way in hell it's going to go off. If you're concerned about shooting yourself during the draw or during reholstering, then that's a training/practice thing. Were you ever taught the proper procedure to safely draw a loaded firearm and fire it? You can learn to safely draw and holster a loaded gun a helluva lot easier than you can learn to draw and chamber a round in time to save your life in a "rule of 3's" lethal encounter (within 3 meters/yards, 3 seconds, and 3 shots fired).

I read a good suggestion once - it was someone on this forum or FCC - I don't remember which or whom or I'd give them credit. The person suggested carrying with no round chambered, but with the gun not decocked (in other words, trigger forward as if there were a round chambered) for a couple weeks. During that couple weeks keep track of every time that trigger ended up pulled to the rear when you didn't intend for it to be. Most likely you're going to find at the end of that period the "count" is zero. If the count is not zero, then one might argue that you haven't had enough training to be carrying a firearm in public.

That word - training - is a key factor in all this (in my opinion). Some folks learn to shoot like some folks learn to ride a motorcycle -- someone they know who "has one" shows them how to do it. The person often isn't particularly qualified, but they "know guns" so whatever they tell the new shooter must be right. As a range officer, if I had a dollar for every time I've seen the "expert" in the group doing everything wrong as they "train" a new shooter, I'd be rich. Like learning to ride a motorcycle, one should seek the instruction of a professional when learning to handle a lethal instrument.

Safely drawing a loaded firearm and engaging a target quickly and accurately is not rocket science. I think that most professional schools and instructors are going to be teaching nearly the exact same thing (neglecting quibbling differences like isoceles vs. weaver, thumbs high vs. thumbs forward, etc.). When you draw the gun, where is your support hand? If you don't answer "on my abdomen" the chances are pretty good that you've not received professional training. Professional training gives you the confidence in mastery of the firearm. You won't worry about it being loaded because you know for an absolute fact that the procedures you have been taught and have mastered make a negligent discharge essentially impossible.

There are tons of good instructors and schools all over the country. If you don't know of any, one place to start is by clicking this link, checking the "NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course" on the left side, and then entering either your zip code or state to search for a class. In Oklahoma it looks like this course runs from about $65 to about $125. When you're done with it I'd be surprised if you are concerned about a chambered round any longer.

Please don't take this as a criticism of you. This topic strikes close to home because my wife is one of those who sometimes-carries but is simply not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. Her problem is definitely that she doesn't get hardly any time behind the gun and just isn't comfortable with her own skills. I see carrying a firearm with no round chambered as "potentially snatching defeat from the jaws of victory". Hopefully you receive this message as an encouragement to finish what you started and not as a disparagement of how far you've already come.

gprod55

Chambered

Taurus PT145 Chambered, thumb safety on, carried openly daily, anywhere thats allowed. Patronize only places that don't have gunbuster signs which here in Oklahoma is extensive.

ThinBlueLine

One of most important things to remember when carrying a firearm is that the bad guy will always have the advantage of surprise on you. In Officer Survival, my instructor drilled into our heads over and over again that action is faster than reaction. The action of having to chamber a round while simultaneously combatting the effects of adrenaline will take up precious seconds which could be all it takes for the bad guy to get the drop on you. As others have mentioned, the way you train will also be the way you train. As a general rule, police officers always carry a round chambered for a couple of reasons: For starters, the speed of having a round ready to go as soon as a sight picture is acquired. Also, it's not uncommon to be forced to shoot from positions other than Weaver, Isosceles, etc. If a perpetrator has you on the ground and your only option becomes to shoot him off of you, you are not going to want to fight through the process of racking the slide one-handed if you don't have to.

When I first started carrying, I was very nervous about carrying with a round chambered, but as I became more comfortable with my firearm and learned to trust my equipment, that went away. Off duty, I carry my pistol in a Serpa holster which I like because it keeps my gun from moving around, but doesn't have any complicated release mechanisms. Just remember that anything you carry, you are essentially trusting your life to.

There's a lot of good advice on here, and not really having any of my own, the best I can say is to find a professional instructor and take a class so that you can gain knowledge and confidence in what you carry. Be safe out there.

Fallschirjmäger

I carry with one in the chamber for the exact reason shown above.

As an armed citizen and not a criminal you're almost always going to be reactive instead of proactive. You're going to draw in response to a threat.
Anyone who has survived a deadly attack without a chambered round will tell you they had enough time to draw and rack the slide in response to a deadly threat. Those who carried without a chambered round and didn't have enough time to rack the slide in response to a deadly threat won't say anything; they're too busy being dead.

Having to use two hands to rack the slide isn't a problem, IF you can guarantee that - -
... you won't be holding your child's hand to keep them from wandering into traffic
... you won't have a dog on a leash jerking your off-hand away from the firearm
... you won't be carrying anything in your off-hand that you aren't willing to drop Instantly
... you won't be trying to fend off an attacker with your off-hand
... you won't be trying to hold on to something to keep from losing balance or falling
... you won't be digging in a pocket with your off-hand when you should have been racking the slide
... you won't be holding your expensive phone in your off-hand (you'd never have it in the primary, we know.)
... you won't have your off-hand being grabbed by a frightened woman, (or significant other, we embrace all sexual choices here) holding on in a terrified embrace.

In short, and to thoroughly belabor a point - waiting to 'make ready' with your firearm until the moment you need it in an emergency is like waiting to put on your seat belt until you see you're about to be in an accident. You're already behind the the power curve; don't handicap yourself further.

Last edited:

Maverick9

OK, here's an idea...

If you're going to carry without one in the chamber out in the world, in the car, you should be practicing:
1. One handed draw and rack on the side of your leg and double tap. (Caution: dangerous)

2. Draw in the car, rack and double tap out the passenger's side window (Caution: Dangerous, wear headphones). Draw and rack on your pants leg sweep the steering wheel and double tap out the driver's side window, two-handed grip. Obviously you can only do this if you have an outdoor range with permissive rules.

3. Doing the target pull drill with two-handed rack and at least one in the target (see above for link)

4. USING SNAPCAPS, draw and put the muzzle on target when held down mounted on the ground, with very mild grappling resistance. No need to pull the trigger, just get the muzzle on the person on top. Again use a BLUE GUN, not a real firearm, or triple check both parties there's a snapcap in the gun. Remove all ammo from the training room and your person.

For drawing in the car, follow the advice of most trainers and after the draw from the strong side, sweep the firearm over top of and close to your steering wheel. Do not sweep your leg.

Disclaimer: Now, I'm NOT advocating these drills other than using a BLUE GUN and going 'bang bang' with your voice. If you do them with live rounds, seek a qualified instructor to walk you through the prep and training.