• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weekend Retreat

devildogdiesel0311

Me and a few other Marines who are about to get out of the military are coming down to Tempe the 13, 14, and the 15th. Wondering if anyone one here would want to get a bite to eat, coffee whatever. If anyone knows of any gun shows near tempe it would be much appreciated. Also any good ranges or places to shoot free of charge. I do have a MN PTC, but as always I plan on open carrying my entire stay.

I do have one question my younger brother attends ASU can I CC on school grounds or is that strictly prohibited to the 1000SFZ?

Thank You in advance. KCCO!

Rusty Young Man

Welcome to dry and sunny Arizona devildogdiesel0311. I won't be able to meet up with you all (I'll probably either be studying for or taking a final exam), but I hope you guys have a fun time.

Here is what I could find:

From ASU's website regarding the policy of the Arizona Board of Regents:

5-308 Student Code of Conduct
A. Jurisdiction and Authority
3. Actions under the Student Code of Conduct are administrative and not criminal in nature. Therefore, a student can be found responsible under the Student Code of Conduct even if the underlying conduct would not also constitute a criminal offense, and even if a prosecutor has determined not to prosecute as a criminal matter or the student has been found not guilty in a criminal proceeding.

F. Prohibited Conduct
24.. Use, possession, display, or storage of any weapon, dangerous instrument, explosive material or device, fireworks, bomb-making*materials or dangerous chemical on university property, at a university sponsored activity or in violation of law or university policy, is not permitted unless one of the following exceptions apply:

a. Subject to A.R.S. §12-781 and other applicable law, a person may lawfully transport or lawfully store a firearm that is both 1) in the person's locked and privately owned motor vehicle or in a locked compartment on the person's privately owned motorcycle, and 2) not visible from the outside of the motor vehicle or motorcycle, although the board or a university may require that vehicles transporting or storing firearms be parked in alternative parking as described in A.R.S. §12-781, or

b. Use, possession, display or storage is specifically authorized by an Arizona or federal statute governing law enforcement officers or in writing by university officials with the authority to grant such permission, or

c. Universities may permit students to possess certain potentially dangerous instruments, and limited quantities of chemicals or other dangerous materials if they are used for academic and other legitimate purposes, if the presence of these items does not present an undue risk to the campus or community, and if the proposed use, possession, display or storage of these items has been expressly approved in writing by an authorized university representative.
http://azregents.asu.edu/rrc/Policy Manual/5-308-Student Code of Conduct.pdf

From the Arizona Revised Statutes
13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions:
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
12. Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds;

M. For the purposes of this section:
4. "School" means a public or nonpublic kindergarten program, common school or high school.
5. "School grounds" means in, or on the grounds of, a school.

As you can see, you would find yourself in that pleasant "Gray Area" regarding the law: while what YOU will be doing is not illegal per se, the university may have those magical "No Weapons Allowed" signs forming a magical barrier against your gun, so you may find yourself suddenly unable to take another step forward as the the barrier selectively blocks you from entering.:rolleyes:
IANAL, but I imagine this would be like carrying in any other non-federal establishment: do so at your own risk, and leave if you are asked.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...or is that strictly prohibited to the 1000SFZ?...

Assuming you are referring to the 1000' FGFSZA, it is completely ignored in AZ, NV, UT, and the other relatively free states.

Only the AZ statutes matter, and Student Codes of Conduct only apply to registered students of the school.