Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Deadline is Approaching and Im Scared

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15

    Deadline is Approaching and Im Scared

    The deadline to register my AR is approaching (Dec 31 if I am correct) and I am very afraid of registering. I feel that I am in a no-win situation.

    I'm a law-abiding, tax paying, God-fearing, hard-working, community serving, charity-donating American citizen with a clean record.

    If I register, I'm sure my AR will be confiscated and I will be left without the proper means of defense in a time of danger. If I don't register, someday I will be caught and made a felon and lose my job. It doesn't matter what the Constitution says, "shall not be infringed" is ignored, I'm basically FUBAR.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I'd be happy to hold it for you. Just pay shipping & FFL fees ($25 transfer + $2 background check).

    Either that or you might know someone who is about to have a boating accident. (Bad joke, especially since it would be encouraging you to violate alaw, which I would never do.)

    Seriously, the possibility of confiscation is always going to be present. The trick is to be able to discern that time just before it happens.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by ctgunowner View Post
    The deadline to register my AR is approaching (Dec 31 if I am correct) and I am very afraid of registering. I feel that I am in a no-win situation.

    I'm a law-abiding, tax paying, God-fearing, hard-working, community serving, charity-donating American citizen with a clean record.

    If I register, I'm sure my AR will be confiscated and I will be left without the proper means of defense in a time of danger. If I don't register, someday I will be caught and made a felon and lose my job. It doesn't matter what the Constitution says, "shall not be infringed" is ignored, I'm basically FUBAR.

    You're worried that they will take your guns after your provide them with information, as they started to do in NY?

    You need to read PA13-3 with a piece of paper and write down what is required to define your gun as an AW ... then figure out a way to get it to be outside that definition. Then do it.

    I would have to see the gun to make specific recommendations but its likely able to be slightly modified to make it a non-AW under PA13-3.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15
    It is a Sig Sauer M400, I will do as you say and see what I can come up with thanks.

    http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...0-classic.aspx

    That's pretty close but it does not have the flash suppressor and the pistol grip is slightly different but still a pistol grip.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15
    The M400 is specifically mentioned in the bill.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by ctgunowner View Post
    The deadline to register my AR is approaching (Dec 31 if I am correct) and I am very afraid of registering. I feel that I am in a no-win situation.

    I'm a law-abiding, tax paying, God-fearing, hard-working, community serving, charity-donating American citizen with a clean record.

    If I register, I'm sure my AR will be confiscated and I will be left without the proper means of defense in a time of danger. If I don't register, someday I will be caught and made a felon and lose my job. It doesn't matter what the Constitution says, "shall not be infringed" is ignored, I'm basically FUBAR.
    I understand your concern, and it may just come to pass. However, unless you bought it in a private sale they already know you have it via the DPS-3. That is the more likely mode of confiscation in the near term.

    To the best of my knowledge, they didn't re-instate the out-of-state purchase control, so you can legally purchase a Mossberg 500 at an FFL on your next trip to North Carolina, Virginia, or many other states without a DPS-3 (but with a normal NICS check), and that is probably plenty of defense. Get a Mini-15 Ranch Rifle and 5 or 10 round mags if you want a legal rifle equivalent to your AR. Neither requires any CT registration.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    One can convert an AW (by definition) into a non-AW.

    DPS3 forms are therefore, not sufficient to prove one has an AW.

    The registration IS, because you said it was ... not that one could not have made a mistake but the burden would then be on the gun owner and not the state.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by ctgunowner View Post
    The M400 is specifically mentioned in the bill.
    You would first have to get it to be outside the specifically mentioned section of the act ... by replacing the lower with a finished 80% lower of your own manufacture.

    Not willing or able to do this? Then move the gun out of state or simply do not register it.

    And if the state calls you, hang up the phone. Do not discuss the matter withe the state ... do not tell them your story.

  9. #9
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Not willing or able to do this? Then move the gun out of state or simply do not register it.
    Advocating illegal acts is a violation of forum rule 15.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Advocating illegal acts is a violation of forum rule 15.

    One does not have to violate the law in not registering it ... one can modify the gun, as I stated before.

    And one should not follow unjust laws or unconstitutional ones .. they are void on their face. And it has been the states position that disclosing arms creates a risk of death, making such requirement in conflict with the 2nd amendment.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-29-2013 at 08:24 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    One does not have to violate the law in not registering it ... one can modify the gun, as I stated before.
    Your specific statement was that if you weren't willing to modify the firearm to make it no longer covered by the act, you could just not register it, so that is advocating an illegal act.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    You would first have to get it to be outside the specifically mentioned section of the act ... by replacing the lower with a finished 80% lower of your own manufacture.

    Not willing or able to do this? Then move the gun out of state or simply do not register it.
    And as to the rest of your most recent post:

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And one should not follow unjust laws or unconstitutional ones .. they are void on their face. And it has been the states position that disclosing arms creates a risk of death, making such requirement in conflict with the 2nd amendment.
    Rule 15 does not differentiate between just and good laws and unjust or unconstitutional laws. In fact, it says:

    (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Rule 15 does not differentiate between just and good laws and unjust or unconstitutional laws. In fact, it says:
    The state has made claims noting that the law is unconstitutional ~ so it is not my assessment, its the gov't. Plus, my rights - our rights - are not subject to a vote ~ by legislators or people in robes. Any such vote is void from the start. Plenty of case law supporting this.

    So, it is a suggestion that has not been found to be "unlawful". I think you gave jumped the gun in declaring what is unlawful and what is not. Just MO. Based on reasoning. Not based on a "feeling" ... its a fact, Jack.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-29-2013 at 08:55 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    There is a logical reason why the pins are set up before the bowling ball is rolled down the alley. NO reason for "registration" .....other than confiscation. They aren't stupid. Not going to enact registration law and confiscation law simultaneously.

    Don't kid yourselves - It's time to relocate to a free state.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 11-30-2013 at 10:56 AM.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    There is a logical reason why the pins are set up before the bowling ball is rolled down the alley. NO reason for "registration" .....other than confiscation. They aren't stupid. Not going to enact registration law and confiscation law simultaneously.

    Don't kid yourselves - It's time to relocate to a free state.
    Exactly !

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337
    read the statute.

    modify, destroy, sell, move, register, violate or litigate.

    there are no magical answers.

    did i forget anything?

    the reality of the situation is that CT compliant firearms will come to market and the "level of danger" in CT will remain the same as it was pre-ban. IOW...the law will do nothing more than previous bans have done at the state and fed levels. people always seem to find ways to hurt one another and that says more about human nature than it does about technology. we have a people problem...not a gun problem.
    Last edited by CT Barfly; 12-04-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •