• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deadline is Approaching and Im Scared

ctgunowner

The deadline to register my AR is approaching (Dec 31 if I am correct) and I am very afraid of registering. I feel that I am in a no-win situation.

I'm a law-abiding, tax paying, God-fearing, hard-working, community serving, charity-donating American citizen with a clean record.

If I register, I'm sure my AR will be confiscated and I will be left without the proper means of defense in a time of danger. If I don't register, someday I will be caught and made a felon and lose my job. It doesn't matter what the Constitution says, "shall not be infringed" is ignored, I'm basically FUBAR.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'd be happy to hold it for you. Just pay shipping & FFL fees ($25 transfer + $2 background check).

Either that or you might know someone who is about to have a boating accident. (Bad joke, especially since it would be encouraging you to violate alaw, which I would never do.)

Seriously, the possibility of confiscation is always going to be present. The trick is to be able to discern that time just before it happens.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The deadline to register my AR is approaching (Dec 31 if I am correct) and I am very afraid of registering. I feel that I am in a no-win situation.

I'm a law-abiding, tax paying, God-fearing, hard-working, community serving, charity-donating American citizen with a clean record.

If I register, I'm sure my AR will be confiscated and I will be left without the proper means of defense in a time of danger. If I don't register, someday I will be caught and made a felon and lose my job. It doesn't matter what the Constitution says, "shall not be infringed" is ignored, I'm basically FUBAR.

You're worried that they will take your guns after your provide them with information, as they started to do in NY?

You need to read PA13-3 with a piece of paper and write down what is required to define your gun as an AW ... then figure out a way to get it to be outside that definition. Then do it.

I would have to see the gun to make specific recommendations but its likely able to be slightly modified to make it a non-AW under PA13-3.

Skinnedknuckles

I understand your concern, and it may just come to pass. However, unless you bought it in a private sale they already know you have it via the DPS-3. That is the more likely mode of confiscation in the near term.

To the best of my knowledge, they didn't re-instate the out-of-state purchase control, so you can legally purchase a Mossberg 500 at an FFL on your next trip to North Carolina, Virginia, or many other states without a DPS-3 (but with a normal NICS check), and that is probably plenty of defense. Get a Mini-15 Ranch Rifle and 5 or 10 round mags if you want a legal rifle equivalent to your AR. Neither requires any CT registration.

davidmcbeth

Banned
One can convert an AW (by definition) into a non-AW.

DPS3 forms are therefore, not sufficient to prove one has an AW.

The registration IS, because you said it was ... not that one could not have made a mistake but the burden would then be on the gun owner and not the state.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The M400 is specifically mentioned in the bill.

You would first have to get it to be outside the specifically mentioned section of the act ... by replacing the lower with a finished 80% lower of your own manufacture.

Not willing or able to do this? Then move the gun out of state or simply do not register it.

And if the state calls you, hang up the phone. Do not discuss the matter withe the state ... do not tell them your story.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Advocating illegal acts is a violation of forum rule 15.

One does not have to violate the law in not registering it ... one can modify the gun, as I stated before.

And one should not follow unjust laws or unconstitutional ones .. they are void on their face. And it has been the states position that disclosing arms creates a risk of death, making such requirement in conflict with the 2nd amendment.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

One does not have to violate the law in not registering it ... one can modify the gun, as I stated before.

Your specific statement was that if you weren't willing to modify the firearm to make it no longer covered by the act, you could just not register it, so that is advocating an illegal act.

You would first have to get it to be outside the specifically mentioned section of the act ... by replacing the lower with a finished 80% lower of your own manufacture.

Not willing or able to do this? Then move the gun out of state or simply do not register it.

And as to the rest of your most recent post:

And one should not follow unjust laws or unconstitutional ones .. they are void on their face. And it has been the states position that disclosing arms creates a risk of death, making such requirement in conflict with the 2nd amendment.

Rule 15 does not differentiate between just and good laws and unjust or unconstitutional laws. In fact, it says:

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Rule 15 does not differentiate between just and good laws and unjust or unconstitutional laws. In fact, it says:

The state has made claims noting that the law is unconstitutional ~ so it is not my assessment, its the gov't. Plus, my rights - our rights - are not subject to a vote ~ by legislators or people in robes. Any such vote is void from the start. Plenty of case law supporting this.

So, it is a suggestion that has not been found to be "unlawful". I think you gave jumped the gun in declaring what is unlawful and what is not. Just MO. Based on reasoning. Not based on a "feeling" ... its a fact, Jack.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

There is a logical reason why the pins are set up before the bowling ball is rolled down the alley. NO reason for "registration" .....other than confiscation. They aren't stupid. Not going to enact registration law and confiscation law simultaneously.

Don't kid yourselves - It's time to relocate to a free state.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
There is a logical reason why the pins are set up before the bowling ball is rolled down the alley. NO reason for "registration" .....other than confiscation. They aren't stupid. Not going to enact registration law and confiscation law simultaneously.

Don't kid yourselves - It's time to relocate to a free state.

Exactly !

CT Barfly

read the statute.

modify, destroy, sell, move, register, violate or litigate.

there are no magical answers.

did i forget anything?

the reality of the situation is that CT compliant firearms will come to market and the "level of danger" in CT will remain the same as it was pre-ban. IOW...the law will do nothing more than previous bans have done at the state and fed levels. people always seem to find ways to hurt one another and that says more about human nature than it does about technology. we have a people problem...not a gun problem.

Last edited: