• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW permit in Putnam/Westchester County

Check_Mate

I have a rather complicated issue about obtaining my CWP and was hoping you guys may be able to provide me with some help.

I'm currently 20 years old, living in Putnam County, and will be turning 21 in February. However in May I will be moving to Westchester County. I know it's worlds easier to get a CCW permit in Putnam County than Westchester, so I was hoping I could complete the process before moving to Westchester, but figured once I'd moved, I'd have to change it anyways, so that wouldn't work (I don't think). Is this a route I should even try to go down?

If not, is it even realistically possible to get a CWP in Westchester? I have no criminal record, and have been in the New York National Guard for about a year and a half, specifically the Infantry. Im hoping that will help my case.

What is my best plan of action? Try and get my permit before moving? Or should I just wait until I move and hope for the best in Westchester? Thank you for any advice you guys can give

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO. Your questions, while not about OC, are valid for the NY sub-forum. I will try to cover the more important base. Others with more direct local knowledge will chime in later to add to what I have said and clarifying as necessary.

If you get your permit before you move, I don't see why you would have to get a new permit after relocating. Unless I am mistaken, once you have acquired the permit, it is good everywhere it is recognized - note that large cities may have more restrictive gun laws, particularly NYC. Sadly there is no state statute (reciprocity) preventing home rule by municipalities, but (except as noted above) the permit is otherwise good generally throughout the state of NY. Renewing the permit at its expiration might be a different matter if your new location has more limitations.

Here is the wording of the applicable law:
"A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the license shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city."
http://www.nyfirearms.com/blog/nys-gun-laws/

Also it is my understanding that you may apply for a permit not only where you live, but where you are employed or have a business. These terms may help you if any are applicable to your situation.

Check_Mate

Welcome to OCDO. Your questions, while not about OC, are valid for the NY sub-forum. I will try to cover the more important base. Others with more direct local knowledge will chime in later to add to what I have said and clarifying as necessary.

If you get your permit before you move, I don't see why you would have to get a new permit after relocating. Unless I am mistaken, once you have acquired the permit, it is good everywhere it is recognized - note that large cities may have more restrictive gun laws, particularly NYC. Sadly there is no state statute (reciprocity) preventing home rule by municipalities, but (except as noted above) the permit is otherwise good generally throughout the state of NY. Renewing the permit at its expiration might be a different matter if your new location has more limitations.

Here is the wording of the applicable law:
"A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the license shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city."
http://www.nyfirearms.com/blog/nys-gun-laws/

Also it is my understanding that you may apply for a permit not only where you live, but where you are employed or have a business. These terms may help you if any are applicable to your situation.

Thank you so much for the helpful post. I stayed up really late researching this, and thought I was on Defensive Carry. I can delete this post if you'd prefer since it's not about OC. Anyways, I really appreciate the help. I will do my best to try and get my permit before moving to Westchester. I know the age limit is waived if you have been honorably discharged from the military, but I'm currently in the Army National Guard, so hopefully I can get my paperwork started sooner. Thanks again!