• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti's posting their own "no gun" signs at businesses without permission?? o.O

carolina guy

James,

Also keep in mind that a sign posted by someone OTHER than the business is NOT enforceable/punishable under NCGS...if stopped by a LEO for a "conspicuously posted" sign trespass violation, I would ask to verify with the manager that the sign was posted by the business or not. (IANAL)

Per NCGS 14-415.11(c)(8).

On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

§ 14-145. Unlawful posting of advertisements.
Any person who in any manner paints, prints, places, or affixes, or causes to be painted,
printed, placed, or affixed, any business or commercial advertisement on or to any stone, tree,
fence, stump, pole, automobile, building, or other object, which is the property of another
without first obtaining the written consent of such owner thereof, or who in any manner paints,
prints, places, puts, or affixes, or causes to be painted, printed, placed, or affixed, such an
advertisement on or to any stone, tree, fence, stump, pole, mile-board, milestone, danger-sign,
danger-signal, guide-sign, guide-post, automobile, building or other object within the limits of a
public highway, shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. (Ex. Sess. 1924, c. 109; 1993, c. 539,
s. 84; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Any person who in any manner paints, prints, places, or affixes, or causes to be painted,
printed, placed, or affixed, any business or commercial advertisement on or to any stone, tree,
fence, stump, pole, automobile, building, or other object, which is the property of another
without first obtaining the written consent of such owner thereof, or who in any manner paints,
prints, places, puts, or affixes, or causes to be painted, printed, placed, or affixed, such an
advertisement on or to any stone, tree, fence, stump, pole, mile-board, milestone, danger-sign,
danger-signal, guide-sign, guide-post, automobile, building or other object within the limits of a
public highway, shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. (Ex. Sess. 1924, c. 109; 1993, c. 539,

I can envision a defense lawyer nitpicking this statute as not relevant to the placement of a "no guns" sticker on the window because such a sticker is NOT a "business or commercial advertisement." It is more akin, in my layman's understanding, to a statement or code of conduct poster that prohibits carry.

WalkingWolf

I can envision a defense lawyer nitpicking this statute as not relevant to the placement of a "no guns" sticker on the window because such a sticker is NOT a "business or commercial advertisement." It is more akin, in my layman's understanding, to a statement or code of conduct poster that prohibits carry.

It is IMO, it is no different then posting anti gun signs or buying a commercial. It is trying to advertise for no guns, without the consent of the owners of said property. The anti gun or gun control movement is a organized movement that would be recognized as such. I believe those organization are registered as non profit business.

Last edited:

carolina guy

It is IMO, it is no different then posting anti gun signs or buying a commercial. It is trying to advertise for no guns, without the consent of the owners of said property. The anti gun or gun control movement is a organized movement that would be recognized as such. I believe those organization are registered as non profit business.

+1

I am pretty sure these anti-2A groups "accept money/goods/services" with the promise that they will do something with the "donation"... looks like commerce to me.

American Patriot

+1

I am pretty sure these anti-2A groups "accept money/goods/services" with the promise that they will do something with the "donation"... looks like commerce to me.

To do education or charity for the prevention of gun crimes, deaths, injuries, etc. would not be commerce.

EMNofSeattle

I don't think it's unlawful posting of advertisements,

I think it's vandalism, just like tagging or cutting your name into a wood panel...