• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canadian woman denied entry into USSA because of "depression"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm not at all surprised. Dismayed. But, not surprised.

It doesn't take a lot of history to understand that government will abuse every single technological advancement. It almost goes without saying.

HIPPA confidentiality of medical records? Yeah, right. Government won't spy on every American on the internet or cell phone? Yeah, right.

mark-in-texas

The second P in HIPPA stands for 'Portability.' The law specificly allows the sharing of protected health information for law enforcement purposes. Next time at your doctor's office, ask to review their HIPPA policy. You'll see something near the end about information being made available to law enforcement either by warrant or were legally required. That's how most cases of child / spousal abuse get reported.

onus

There is no secret or breach of privacy here.

She attempted to commit suicide in a public manner and it involved police and courts.

Its public record.

stealthyeliminator

Not to get all conspiracy theorist on you guys, but do you really think that upcoming requirements to make health records available electronically over the internet is for patient convenience?

onus

Not to get all conspiracy theorist on you guys, but do you really think that upcoming requirements to make health records available electronically over the internet is for patient convenience?

that's why I am not signing up for obamacare. its the largest data minning operation in American history

stealthyeliminator

There is no secret or breach of privacy here.

She attempted to commit suicide in a public manner and it involved police and courts.

Its public record.

That may be true but the story still indicates that they had access to private medical records and based on that (clinical diagnosis, not just that she attempted suicide and it made the news) she was denied access

“The incident in 2012 was hospitalization for depression. Police were not involved,’’ her attorney, David McGhee, told the Star, adding that he approached Ontario Health Minister Deb Matthews as well “to tell me if she’s aware of any provincial or federal authority to allow US authorities to have access to our medical records.”

onus

We aren't getting all the facts in the story but if she attempted suicide and was left a parapalegic that means she mostly did it by shooting or jumping. Most likely she was declared 5150 which is traditionally information police and government has.

If this women is out shooting herself or jumping off bridges I don't want her in my country.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Honestly I didn't know people were denied entry into the country on bases like this. I mean, I'm not surprised... It just hadn't ever come to mind.

... Would you support deportation of the mentally ill?

JoeSparky

Centurion
We aren't getting all the facts in the story but if she committed suicide and was left a parapalegic that means she mostly did it by shooting or jumping. Most likely she was declared 5150 which is traditionally information police and government has.

If this women is out shooting herself or jumping off bridges I don't want her in my country.

Hey, ONUS, you may want to re-read the info provided. Parapeligia as a result of a suicide ATTEMPT in 2001--- Hosptilized in 2012 for clinical depression---- does NOT say that she attempted suicide in 2012.

BTW-- IF she had committed SUICIDE as your post states---- we wouldn't be having even this situation AS SHE WOULD BE DEAD!:banghead::banghead: and wanting a facepalm emoticon!

onus

Hey, ONUS, you may want to re-read the info provided. Parapeligia as a result of a suicide ATTEMPT in 2001--- Hosptilized in 2012 for clinical depression---- does NOT say that she attempted suicide in 2012.

I never said she attempted suicide in 2012.

77zach

The more I consider this story, the more disturbing it is. I think George Orwell was an optimist. He never knew about the Utah data center. It's also a perfect example of how the state usually only can "protect" us from those who obviously are NOT a threat. The "war on terror", "war on [some] drugs", and the whole police state apparatus are all for me. The freedom loving, "law" abiding citizen.

77zach

We aren't getting all the facts in the story but if she attempted suicide and was left a parapalegic that means she mostly did it by shooting or jumping.

Actually, women usually don't do that. They usually OD; many drugs can leave you paralyzed from neurological damage. I've seen not a few people come into the hospital where this was the result. For example, aspirin or any NSAID.

onus

Actually, women usually don't do that. They usually OD

I know of a lot of cases where women either shot themselves or jumped off buildings or bridges. I do however know a few OD cases as well.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I never said she attempted suicide in 2012.

That is true. This IS what you said:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by onus
We aren't getting all the facts in the story but if she committed suicide and was left a parapalegic that means she mostly did it by shooting or jumping. Most likely she was declared 5150 which is traditionally information police and government has.

I suggest you pay particular attention the the words right after your words "We aren't getting all the facts in the story if she".

I will concede my comment was just a tick more pointed that I had originally intended.

Last edited:

papa bear

it is extremely disconcerting that the DHS (dumb horse stupid), has that info. but the one thing i want to know is WTH did it matter? she was going to catch a plane to leave the country. what would it have hurt to let her do that?