Thread: Coming soon [12/5], Night Watchman with wheels. NYT. R2D2 Mall Ninja?

Coming soon [12/5], Night Watchman with wheels. NYT. R2D2 Mall Ninja?

The night watchman of the future is 5 feet tall, weighs 300 pounds and looks a lot like R2-D2 – without the whimsy. And will work for $6.25 an hour. [ ... ] But what is for some a technology-laden route to safer communities and schools is to others an entry point to a post-Orwellian, post-privacy world. “This is like R2-D2’s evil twin,” said Marc Rotenberg, the director of the Electronic Privacy and Information Center, a privacy rights group based in Washington. [ ... ] The co-founders have chosen to position their robot not as a job killer, but as a system that will upgrade the role of security guard, even if fewer humans are employed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/sc...eels.html?_r=0
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    ...“We founded Knightscope after what happened at Sandy Hook,” ...

The robot, ...will have a video camera, thermal imaging sensors, a laser range finder, radar, air quality sensors and a microphone. It will also have a limited amount of autonomy, such as the ability to follow a preplanned route. ...
    Okay, and the robot isn't going to be useless after it, too, is hit by a rifle seconds after the front window is breached by one?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Okay, and the robot isn't going to be useless after it, too, is hit by a rifle seconds after the front window is breached by one?
    Just like the Night Watchman without his body armor. I would hope that they would protect their machine with some armor.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Show me your hall pass......third request ... rat-a-tat tat

At least they didn't name it "Ed."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip