Thread: Do I need a permit?

Do I need a permit?

I have a florida cwl, do I need to get a permit from my local police station to purchase a new handgun?

Assuming you now have a Michigan drivers license, no, not from a shop. Private transactions yes you would need a PD issued permit to purchase.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Assuming you now have a Michigan drivers license, no, not from a shop. Private transactions yes you would need a PD issued permit to purchase.
    shops in MI handle everything. if you are buying from a store you will not need a permit, provided you have a MI drivers licence.

if doing a person to person AKA private sale. you will need a purchase permit

Something you need to be aware of.

That is that Michigan does NOT recognize non resident permits. If you are a Florida resident you can carry in Michigan without any problems. However as a Florida resident you cannot purchase a handgun in Michigan. Actually to get really technical you can purchase a handgun in Michigan, however you will have to have it shipped to an FFL in Florida and go to Florida to have it transferred to you in your State of Residence.

If you are a Michigan resident your Florida permit is null and void in Michigan. Get caught carrying concealed without a good permit in Michigan and you are looking at a 5 year Felony. Word to the wise is this, get yourself a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. Not only will you be legal in Michigan but you'll also be legal in 39 other states.

Question

The OP has one post and I hope comes back. I'll guess from MI.
    Isn't "downriver" a south Detroit term?
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    The OP has one post and I hope comes back. I'll guess from MI.
    Isn't "downriver" a south Detroit term?
    yes downriver is a southern michigan term, it means the allen park, lincoln park, woodhaven, wyandotte, taylor, southgate, etc area

the areas down river from detroit

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter123 View Post
    That is that Michigan does NOT recognize non resident permits. If you are a Florida resident you can carry in Michigan without any problems. However as a Florida resident you cannot purchase a handgun in Michigan. Actually to get really technical you can purchase a handgun in Michigan, however you will have to have it shipped to an FFL in Florida and go to Florida to have it transferred to you in your State of Residence.

If you are a Michigan resident your Florida permit is null and void in Michigan. Get caught carrying concealed without a good permit in Michigan and you are looking at a 5 year Felony. Word to the wise is this, get yourself a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. Not only will you be legal in Michigan but you'll also be legal in 39 other states.
    Great answer Scooter.... Very consice! Those who answered were mostly correct. They just failed to completely answer the question. Folks could get in some serious trbl thinking they can just go buy! Again, great answer....

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    keep in mind that if you ARE a michigan resident, you can't conceal based on your florida license, but you also don't have to register your pistols based on the Janet Kukuk Act

"If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/