• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I need a permit?

Michigander

Assuming you now have a Michigan drivers license, no, not from a shop. Private transactions yes you would need a PD issued permit to purchase.

SD40VE

Assuming you now have a Michigan drivers license, no, not from a shop. Private transactions yes you would need a PD issued permit to purchase.

shops in MI handle everything. if you are buying from a store you will not need a permit, provided you have a MI drivers licence.

if doing a person to person AKA private sale. you will need a purchase permit

Scooter123

Something you need to be aware of.

That is that Michigan does NOT recognize non resident permits. If you are a Florida resident you can carry in Michigan without any problems. However as a Florida resident you cannot purchase a handgun in Michigan. Actually to get really technical you can purchase a handgun in Michigan, however you will have to have it shipped to an FFL in Florida and go to Florida to have it transferred to you in your State of Residence.

If you are a Michigan resident your Florida permit is null and void in Michigan. Get caught carrying concealed without a good permit in Michigan and you are looking at a 5 year Felony. Word to the wise is this, get yourself a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. Not only will you be legal in Michigan but you'll also be legal in 39 other states.

22Luke36

If you have pistols brought from another state, I am assuming you just moved here, you will have to register them or leave them out of state. I suggest the latter.

SD40VE

The OP has one post and I hope comes back. I'll guess from MI.
Isn't "downriver" a south Detroit term?

yes downriver is a southern michigan term, it means the allen park, lincoln park, woodhaven, wyandotte, taylor, southgate, etc area

the areas down river from detroit :)

Fillinguy

Nice.

That is that Michigan does NOT recognize non resident permits. If you are a Florida resident you can carry in Michigan without any problems. However as a Florida resident you cannot purchase a handgun in Michigan. Actually to get really technical you can purchase a handgun in Michigan, however you will have to have it shipped to an FFL in Florida and go to Florida to have it transferred to you in your State of Residence.

If you are a Michigan resident your Florida permit is null and void in Michigan. Get caught carrying concealed without a good permit in Michigan and you are looking at a 5 year Felony. Word to the wise is this, get yourself a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. Not only will you be legal in Michigan but you'll also be legal in 39 other states.

Great answer Scooter.... Very consice! Those who answered were mostly correct. They just failed to completely answer the question. Folks could get in some serious trbl thinking they can just go buy! Again, great answer....

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
keep in mind that if you ARE a michigan resident, you can't conceal based on your florida license, but you also don't have to register your pistols based on the [h=2]Janet Kukuk Act[/h]