• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Almost time boys and girls

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm planning on taking the day off work and being there bright and early. If there's anything I can do, let me know.

My plan right now is to seek out my reps and present them with my list of demands... once that's done, I'll find PVC or whomever is nearby and submit myself to their orders for the remainder of the day.

It works very effectively to sign up for lobby teams - you can request and get the team with your representative, I believe. That way the Senator or Delegate sees a large group with constituents in it.

Might want to rethink the "demands" thing if you wish to sway your reps. We do a lot of positive PR, tell them how large were are, and what we'd like to accomplish.......with a smile and a handshake. Then we follow through throughout the session - actually we've already started.

Look to see you there - I'm the one with the purdy gun :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Lyndsy.....what is usually done is after the teams make their rounds, everyone goes up for individual visits before lunch or depending on the schedule....the rally at the bell tower.

A sea of orange GSL stickers is a little awe inspiring and rather than demands.....awe is what we want to instill right now.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--Moderator edited--
Go directly to your delegate and let him/her know exactly how you feel. Virginia politics is a contact sport.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar
Thundar - you do VCDL a disservice. You violate the forum rules in attacking VCDL (previous post) and insulting its members, many who have put and will continue to put in long hours to make positive contributions.

I appreciate you fervor and independant spirit, but there are limits as to what is allowed here.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Translation: All we need from you is a warm body to show up and deliver the script we give you. (VCDL Zombie)

If you agree to be such a VCDL Zombie, I think you deserve to know ahead of time what the VCDL script actually is.

I recommend you not be a zombie. Go directly to your delegate and let him/her know exactly how you feel. Virginia politics is a contact sport.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Come on Thundar....Grapeshot isn't the enemy. If it wasn't for him and to a lesser extent, Dennis Oconner, I'd have burned my membership card a couple if years ago.

We have a couple of members here that have a great big reason to take a bite out of them. They weren't there when they needed the help most. Near killed one of them.

But Grapeshot was. Not as a member of the board, but as a brother. He never left either of them.
Because of that and and because they're better men than I am,,,,,they both still support the organization.

We're at the point where arguing over silly things like a cake at a celebration is simply suicidal. (Newer members that don't understand that..it's water over the dam) We have to put on a big show and like I said, lobby day doesn't belong to VCDL....it belongs to all of us.

I'll be there as an OC'er and hunter. I have a hint that the old VCDL that represented us all is returning. If they don't....things haven't changed but if they do......we're back to a real power.

Last edited:

Thundar

Come on Thundar....Grapeshot isn't the enemy. If it wasn't for him and to a lesser extent, Dennis Oconner, I'd have burned my membership card a couple if years ago.

We have a couple of members here that have a great big reason to take a bite out of them. They weren't there when they needed the help most. Near killed one of them.

But Grapeshot was. Not as a member of the board, but as a brother. He never left either of them.
Because of that and and because they're better men than I am,,,,,they both still support the organization.

We're at the point where arguing over silly things like a cake at a celebration is simply suicidal. (Newer members that don't understand that..it's water over the dam) We have to put on a big show and like I said, lobby day doesn't belong to VCDL....it belongs to all of us.

I'll be there as an OC'er and hunter. I have a hint that the old VCDL that represented us all is returning. If they don't....things haven't changed but if they do......we're back to a real power.

It is frustrating Peter. The guy says he is going to first go make his demands of his legislative representatives, then come to the VCDL rally. He is advised not to do that, just follow VCDL script.

My post was provocative, but was it untruthful or bashing? No, I hope not. It was meant to provoke meaningful thought. The antis have brain dead zombies, not us. But the post does not bow to the VCDL God - BAM post deleted. Grapeshot is a great guy, but sometimes I can't tell whether we are on OCDO's Virginia forum or if we are on VCDL's blog.

I have some ballot access petitions for the 6th Senate district that need signatures. Maybe I'll just do that for a while. Sometimes people on the street are hostile when you ask for their signature, but it feels more friendly than OCDO lately.

Thundar

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is frustrating Peter. The guy says he is going to first go make his demands of his legislative representatives, then come to the VCDL rally. He is advised not to do that, just follow VCDL script.

My post was provocative, but was it untruthful or bashing? No, I hope not. It was meant to provoke meaningful thought. The antis have brain dead zombies, not us. But the post does not bow to the VCDL God - BAM post deleted. Grapeshot is a great guy, but sometimes I can't tell whether we are on OCDO's Virginia forum or if we are on VCDL's blog.

I have some ballot access petitions for the 6th Senate district that need signatures. Maybe I'll just do that for a while. Sometimes people on the street are hostile when you ask for their signature, but it feels more friendly than OCDO lately.

Thundar

Come on Thundar - I did not advise him, I described what we do as a team effort. He is free to do as he wishes.

You did attack VCDL and the rule is quite clear:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

I mean you no personal animosity.

AIC869

Glad you started this reminder thread, Peter. I just retired from the military a few days ago, and last year I was working shift work that made it impossible to attend. I believe that won't be a problem this year. :)

Lyndsy Simon

It works very effectively to sign up for lobby teams - you can request and get the team with your representative, I believe. That way the Senator or Delegate sees a large group with constituents in it.

Might want to rethink the "demands" thing if you wish to sway your reps. We do a lot of positive PR, tell them how large were are, and what we'd like to accomplish.......with a smile and a handshake. Then we follow through throughout the session - actually we've already started.

Look to see you there - I'm the one with the purdy gun :)

I was being snarky - I've played the political game before, I'm not going to be nailing any theses to my reps' doors anytime soon.

I'll make sure to coordinate as the time draws near. If anyone needs a ride from Charlottesville, let me know.

Lyndsy Simon

Thundar

I only took it that he had understood my tone to be much more inciteful than it was. I wasn't offended in the least - and why should I be? Even if I thought the Grapeshot hated me and all I stood for, what difference would it make?

I'm going to be at Lobby Day, and I'm going to do all I can to make my voice heard. I plan to meet some people whose views align with my own, and debate with those whose views are opposed.

If a forum comment is enough to get under my skin, I wouldn't be cut out for political activism, that's for sure.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I only took it that he had understood my tone to be much more inciteful than it was. I wasn't offended in the least - and why should I be? Even if I thought the Grapeshot hated me and all I stood for, what difference would it make?

I'm going to be at Lobby Day, and I'm going to do all I can to make my voice heard. I plan to meet some people whose views align with my own, and debate with those whose views are opposed.

If a forum comment is enough to get under my skin, I wouldn't be cut out for political activism, that's for sure.

We (you & I) have no problem Simon - wish more were like you. Appreciate straight from the shoulder talk, most especially from higher life forms :)

Strength in numbers AND in unity - that is the message we carry going into Lobby Day.

Repeater

We (you & I) have no problem Simon - wish more were like you. Appreciate straight from the shoulder talk, most especially from higher life forms :)

Strength in numbers AND in unity - that is the message we carry ...

That is the message we carry ... in life, every day.

Now, if only the GOP would get a clue.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I was definitely going to go, been to every one since 2008. I've been reading posts by DJeeper in Vaguntrader. He's boasting that he's going to carry his unholstered, Ar-type pistol in the statehouse. I know he's done it at least two years. I'm an advocate for the open-carry of long guns, but a pistol belongs in a holster for carry. It's irresponsible and he's horrible steward for our rights. I'm almost at the point of wringing my hands of activism because of "activists" like him and those that make excuses for his rig. Sarah Brady couldn't pick a finer (bad) steward than DJeeper.

You know ED has peer reviewed me on things I could have done better and I listened, "W" word anyone? This guy DJeeper and his enablers appear to be immune to peer review.

This tent might not be big enough for me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was definitely going to go, been to every one since 2008. I've been reading posts by DJeeper in Vaguntrader. He's boasting that he's going to carry his unholstered, Ar-type pistol in the statehouse. I know he's done it at least two years. I'm an advocate for the open-carry of long guns, but a pistol belongs in a holster for carry. It's irresponsible and he's horrible steward for our rights. I'm almost at the point of wringing my hands of activism because of "activists" like him and those that make excuses for his rig. Sarah Brady couldn't pick a finer (bad) steward than DJeeper.

You know ED has peer reviewed me on things I could have done better and I listened, "W" word anyone? This guy DJeeper and his enablers appear to be immune to peer review.

This tent might not be big enough for me.
Never abandon your post. Hold the line and keep steady. We need you.

There have definitely been mixed feelings on sling supported guns. I'd rather not see them at Lobby Day, BUT I acknowlege the right to carry them. I have concerns.

builtjeep

I'm almost at the point of wringing my hands of activism because of "activists" like him and those that make excuses for his rig. Sarah Brady couldn't pick a finer (bad) steward than DJeeper.

T Dub,

There were many who would have said the same of people carrying those evil high capacity Glocks rather than a sophisticated revolver or 1911 in years past. I see these arguments as no different than the Fudds who think it's ok to support bans on handguns and "assault weapons" because those things are less civilized than their double barrels and bolt guns.

What you carry has nothing to do with being a good or bad steward, how you carry yourself has everything to do with it. People need to be continually exposed to folks peaceably carrying whatever they choose to carry, it is the only way for OC to become normalized and stop idiots calling 911 at the sight of any armed individual.

Personally, I think the guys going with Long Gun OC in some places look a bit ridiculous, but I'll absolutely support their right to do it until people stop getting upset by it. In the end we can either hang together or hang separately.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Builtjeep, T Dubia, and DJeeper all know me so I have little doubt but that they will consider my words w/o rancor.

The "problems" I alluded to earlier might benefit some to be more clearly defined.

I think I can say that most people here (all?) would be happiest if there were no restrictions on legal honest people carrying whatever they have, if they do so responsibly and w/o ill intent. IOW - full pro recognition of the 2nd Amendment.

Pushing the envelope can be good, or it can backfire and work against us. It is a wise man that knows the answer, before he asks the question. I am not so wise as to be that man, but I can make an informed case for probability.

Consider that when at the General Assembly or Capital Building we carry under the Joint Resolutions Committee rule (never properly formalized) allowing CHP holders that privilege. The Senate chamber is a GFZ by senate rule.

Add to that what we call preemption which by its very wording does not apply to state agencies. We carry in state parks as a result of a favorable AG opinion and thereby National Parks within Va.

Which of these do you want to risk, anticipating a less than pro (I understate) incoming administration? There are those already working with members of the GA to protect and expand those rights and privileges - yes I know "privileges" does not make you happy. Is there a line in the sand? Not yet - a line in sand is easily obscured by both stamping and shuffling feet. We weigh the odds and can only play the cards we are dealt - knowing the other players helps, but it doesn't guarantee winning or protect the family farm.

Sooo - what would be the result of several dozen people all wearing black or camo showed up at the check-in point of the GA each carrying (slung) AR/AK pistols? I think it distinctly possible that enough concern would be generated to cause an adverse rule. IMNSHO - I am the more successful advocate with a 1911 holstered on my hip and striving to win friends in the GA for all of us than someone who simply states that carrying this EBR (long or pistol) is my right. It is a matter of perception.......and of being prepared for the answers.

And Glock pistols? The plastic wonder pistol which originally contributed to the concern about detectability of plastic guns - I know the relationship is false, but has now expanded into 3-D printable guns and gun parts.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/14/politics/3d-guns/

VCDL doesn't tell us how to carry. OCDO promotes and defends open carry of properly holstered handguns. The GAB is "the people's house."

So ladies and gentleman make informed decisions and consider the ramifications of your actions. I am not your daddy or keeper, but I am a brother to each and every one. I recognize your rights - I want you to win.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'd like to add to that Grapeshot.
Every year there is at least one bill to prohibit carry in the GA Building as well as make everyone go through screening.

Notice that a CHP is only for handguns. It doesn't take much imagination for the powers to decide the CHP doesn't allow carry of anything else. That could open a new can of worms and a new set of rules.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
SNIP
Sooo - what would be the result of several dozen people all wearing black or camo showed up at the check-in point of the GA each carrying (slung) AR/AK pistols? I think it distinctly possible that enough concern would be generated to cause an adverse rule.

You're doggone right! How is it that the activist community has not learned a lesson from Starbucks? We can be our own worst enemy. The live free or die'rs can't see the forest through the trees!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
SNIP
Personally, I think the guys going with Long Gun OC in some places look a bit ridiculous, but I'll absolutely support their right to do it until people stop getting upset by it.

DJeeper doesn't even do that. Technically he carries a pistol with a sling and NO HOLSTER. I understand that he's really carrying a short-barrel rifle with no stock, but BATFE makes the rules not T Dub.

Go on without me. Just keep in mind, if you're willing to isolate activists like me then you run the risk of isolating those on the fence.

Marco

SNIP

DJeeper doesn't even do that. Technically he carries a pistol with a sling and NO HOLSTER. I understand that he's really carrying a short-barrel rifle with no stock, but BATFE makes the rules not T Dub.

Go on without me. Just keep in mind, if you're willing to isolate activists like me then you run the risk of isolating those on the fence.

No one is isolating you, you are choosing to get off the field.

Heck, if we all choose to stay home because we didn't agree with something someone says or does with regards to RKBA there would be no RKBA movement.
I presume many of us have a bone to pick with something. (NOT GOING TO OPEN THAT CAN OF WORMS AGAIN)

What do you think will hurt us more folks exercising their rights legally (even in a way you don't agree with) or folks choosing to stay home because they are unhappy about something. (rhetorical)

Hey, Rosa don't sit there!!!! You is going to bring a chit storm down upon us all.:banghead: