• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Night Sights

Maverick9

Haha - Joe.

Um, beginners use night sights, lasers, attached tac lights. Beginners put them on mouse guns. Beginners are fascinated by the technology.

Old timers don't use them except as a novelty. They know that after the first flash, your vision deteriorates, at the first adrenaline dump you don't really see your sights.

So you might mean, 'do you use them at the indoor range where it's low light?' I'd say YES, in dark shooting booths, indoors, they'd be an asset.

Since a typical citizen doesn't draw a bead on a distant target in the street, like LE might, they are not useful.

I've used 'Glow paint', lasers, tac lights and night sights. I just use the plain sights that came with the firearm and none of those (I'm in year 4 of carrying).

What about you?
HTH.

stealthyeliminator

Stock sights for me. I think that my dad had night sights on his Glock. I'm not sure what kind of night sights they were... I think they came on it from the factory.

Primus

Same thing I run the stock night sights on block and stock irons on the revolvers. I have to say when training in low light you can see a huge difference. Especially if your outdoors (backyard). I know someone mentioned night vision (your eyes) getting screwed after the first shot but I guess that depends on gun,ammo,place, etc.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Kopis

I believe the OP is referring to tritium type systems. I will happily give you my experience from having quite a few sets over the years. I love modifying stuff so i always pop new sights on most guns.

Here are some sight considerations:

I prefer a plain black rear sight. It seems stupid to a beginner but your front sight is what you should be focused on. If you are carrying for self defense, it is unlikely you will have time to line up everything perfectly before squeezing off a round. That being said, many companies make plain black rear sights with a low day visibility tritium dot built in on each side. These are what i put on my carry guns.

For the money, i think the Ameriglo pro operator sight is a great buy. Ive put the green front/yellow rear on my last two glocks. Plus the have a vertical cut so in an emergency, you could rack it on your belt or other object if needed. some sights like dawson precision are ramped the whole way.

Also, consider the rear sight notch width. On a carry gun, i prefer a wider width to more easily acquire the front sight. I did not like the dawson precision rear sight in that it was exactly the width of the front sight post.

Just some food for thought. Im not a fan of lasers, tac lights etc but it's personal preference. I found that with a laser i would be too focused on hitting a bullseye instead of just trusting my instincts and lining up the sights. However, what works for me may or may not work for you. I would encourage you to look on a forum specific to your firearm and get other user experiences.

Primus

I believe the OP is referring to tritium type systems. I will happily give you my experience from having quite a few sets over the years. I love modifying stuff so i always pop new sights on most guns.

Here are some sight considerations:

I prefer a plain black rear sight. It seems stupid to a beginner but your front sight is what you should be focused on. If you are carrying for self defense, it is unlikely you will have time to line up everything perfectly before squeezing off a round. That being said, many companies make plain black rear sights with a low day visibility tritium dot built in on each side. These are what i put on my carry guns.

For the money, i think the Ameriglo pro operator sight is a great buy. Ive put the green front/yellow rear on my last two glocks. Plus the have a vertical cut so in an emergency, you could rack it on your belt or other object if needed. some sights like dawson precision are ramped the whole way.

Also, consider the rear sight notch width. On a carry gun, i prefer a wider width to more easily acquire the front sight. I did not like the dawson precision rear sight in that it was exactly the width of the front sight post.

Just some food for thought. Im not a fan of lasers, tac lights etc but it's personal preference. I found that with a laser i would be too focused on hitting a bullseye instead of just trusting my instincts and lining up the sights. However, what works for me may or may not work for you. I would encourage you to look on a forum specific to your firearm and get other user experiences.

Thanks for the input. I might have to try out the front night sight only see how it works out. And yes I was referring to tridium, not some of the paint on stuff.

Primus

ive got night sights, came off a M&P. i dont normally shoot in low light. but you never know

If you ever get a chance try it. Its tough finding an outdoor place that allows it but if you have the land just go outside at night and take a few shots at night and dusk. Nits definitely different. Like you said you never know. And BGs are like cockroaches they like dark places.

SD40VE

If you ever get a chance try it. Its tough finding an outdoor place that allows it but if you have the land just go outside at night and take a few shots at night and dusk. Nits definitely different. Like you said you never know. And BGs are like cockroaches they like dark places.

im heading up north next weekend. ill head out to the target range on our land at dusk, i have a few other things i wanted to try at night with my ruger 10/22 itac i just added, and a friend brought me some red and green tracer rounds. i wanted to have some fun with a night shoot so i will make sure to give it a whirl with my SD

Primus

im heading up north next weekend. ill head out to the target range on our land at dusk, i have a few other things i wanted to try at night with my ruger 10/22 itac i just added, and a friend brought me some red and green tracer rounds. i wanted to have some fun with a night shoot so i will make sure to give it a whirl with my SD

There you go. Let us know how you made out when you get from it. Be careful not to set fore to anything with the tracers lol. Be safe

Kopis

That's funny you recommend that. I shoot at my dad's shop most weekends (during the day). He has two guys that live there in little trailers, anyway, i had to swing out there friday night to pay them and thought "you know, ive never shot my pistol at night. it follows that i am probably most likely to have to shoot it at night in self defense", so i grabbed a spare mag of FMJs and headed out, paid the guys, let them know i was shooting a few rounds. I drove down to my shooting spot and practiced drawing and shooting three round bursts. I just wanted to know what to expect in low light. Would i be blinded by the flash, how big would the flash be etc? Surprisingly with a g17, very little flash, about 3-6" on each side of the barrel and definitely not blinding. ameriglo's with green front and yellow rears are great for acquisition.

Definitely a great recommendation Primus! Ill probably try to shoot a mag full every few months at night now just to be familiar with it.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Haha - Joe.

Um, beginners use night sights, lasers, attached tac lights. Beginners put them on mouse guns. Beginners are fascinated by the technology.

Old timers don't use them except as a novelty. They know that after the first flash, your vision deteriorates, at the first adrenaline dump you don't really see your sights.

So you might mean, 'do you use them at the indoor range where it's low light?' I'd say YES, in dark shooting booths, indoors, they'd be an asset.

Since a typical citizen doesn't draw a bead on a distant target in the street, like LE might, they are not useful.

I've used 'Glow paint', lasers, tac lights and night sights. I just use the plain sights that came with the firearm and none of those (I'm in year 4 of carrying).

What about you?

HTH.

And you get your professional opinion on this from what. I Have carried firearms for a living for over 3 decades and been shooting shooting for over five decades.

I have trained hundreds of LEOs and civilian and have worked thousands of shifts after dark and fired thousands of around in low light training.

I prefer guns with night sights yes they do help in lowlight situations. Granted at arms length to a couple of yards they are not as critical or are any sights at those ranges.

But they really do help orientate the muzzle when it is hard to see because of an low light situation. I seen shooters totally miss targets in low light start placing their rounds on the target with them.

Are they the end all for every shooting situation no but I am a firm believer in having them for low light situations.

Just having a front night sight is a huge help.

With good ammo that use flash suppressant powders the muzzle flash isn't as much of an problem destroying your night vision as it use to be.

If you can afford them buy the best ones you can.

SD40VE

There you go. Let us know how you made out when you get from it. Be careful not to set fore to anything with the tracers lol. Be safe

our range has a U shaped bunker around it. mostly old trees and other wood peices with a 9 ft dirt bunker. we made out target range right. i doubt there will be any fires except maybe the targets lol