Thread: Took pistol to San Juan. No problems.

Took pistol to San Juan. No problems.

Went to Puerto Rico for a week over Thanksgiving.

Flew out of O'hare on United. Declared my Glock in my checked luggage. Nobody so much as blinked. Flew back Saturday after the holiday. Declared in my luggage at SJU. Nobody asked me anything. No one at either end asked for a PR permission slip or anything. I was prepared for arguments and a hassle. But nothing happened.

Didn't OC. Wasn't going to push it. Not this time, anyway.

What are the carry laws in Puerto Rico? Can you provide a link?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    What are the carry laws in Puerto Rico? Can you provide a link?

Thanks!
    Gee. Found this http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ico-Weapon-Law right here in the same "state" forum. How strange.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    Went to Puerto Rico for a week over Thanksgiving.

Flew out of O'hare on United. Declared my Glock in my checked luggage. Nobody so much as blinked. Flew back Saturday after the holiday. Declared in my luggage at SJU. Nobody asked me anything. No one at either end asked for a PR permission slip or anything. I was prepared for arguments and a hassle. But nothing happened.

Didn't OC. Wasn't going to push it. Not this time, anyway.
    Now that I've looked over the links provided, I'm even more confused.

Under what basis did you transport the firearm to P.R.? As best as I can tell, you could not transport it loaded, or carry it loaded (if at all) except if you have a particular profession or license. Do you have any such licenses, from PR or elsewhere?

Please give us some details!
    Last edited by BB62; 12-03-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Under what basis did you transport the firearm to P.R.? As best as I can tell, you could not transport it loaded, or carry it loaded (if at all) except if you have a particular profession or license. Do you have any such licenses, from PR or elsewhere?
    It is entirely possible the thread title should have been "I broke the law in PR but didn't get caught. No problems."
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    It is entirely possible the thread title should have been "I broke the law in PR but didn't get caught. No problems."
    Exactly what I thought!

Under what basis did you transport the firearm to P.R.?
    What part of "checked luggage" did you not understand? I just told them "I have a firearm to declare" and got the orange tag to fill out. No different than if I was flying anywhere else in the U.S..

The point of the OP is, prior to going I was told, and read online, that the airlines get all pi**y and demand some letter from some police commish or some admin bureaucrat before they let you fly with a handgun in your checked luggage to Puerto Rico. Nobody demanded anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    "I broke the law in PR but didn't get caught. No problems."
    No I didn't.

And this thread is not about my experience carrying in PR. It's about my experience getting there. Everything I was told about the hassles and such were false. United did not demand any permission slip, and I was not hassled at the airport in San Juan arriving nor departing with a pistol.

...And this thread is not about my experience carrying in PR. It's about my experience getting there...
    How nice of you to FINALLY make clear the limited subject matter of this thread.

From reading the documentation provided, it seems to me that it was illegal for you to have it there, unless there is more you haven't posted. Of course, I can't imagine that!

From reading the documentation provided, it seems to me that it was illegal for you to have it there,
    At the very least, it looks to be illegal to transport it without a Puerto Rico weapons license:

Puerto Rico Commonwealth Law,
    Chapter 111. Controlled Substances Act of Puerto Rico
    2516. Suspension or revocation of license to drive motor vehicles and license to carry firearms
    Title 25, Subtitle 1, Part V, Chapter 51A, Subchapter I, 455.
    (x) Transportation.Means the mediate or immediate possession of a weapon for the purpose of taking it from one place to another. Said transportation must be carried out by a person with a current weapons license and the weapon must be unloaded and transported inside a closed case whose contents are not visible and which may not be in plain sight
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

It is not illegal for me to possess nor carry a pistol in Puerto Rico.

But that is irrelevant and not the point of this thread.

My point is to expose those that babble about what is going to happen to people, and more importantly, the "I KNOW EVERYTHING" crowd that tells you what is going to happen to you. Whether it's about open carry in Iowa, Wisconsin, Virginia, or transporting a pistol to Puerto Rico. Do your own research and experience your own experience.

It is not illegal for me to possess nor carry a pistol in Puerto Rico.

But that is irrelevant and not the point of this thread.

My point is to expose those that babble about what is going to happen to people, and more importantly, the "I KNOW EVERYTHING" crowd that tells you what is going to happen to you. Whether it's about open carry in Iowa, Wisconsin, Virginia, or transporting a pistol to Puerto Rico. Do your own research and experience your own experience.

Oh, I DO know everything , like the fact that I knew from the beginning you weren't a) telling the whole story, and b) making clear the point of your original post.

Unsubscribing, moving on.

Travelling to PR with a gun

I flew into Aguadilla (small airport in the NW part of the island). I saw two large signs in the baggage claim area re guns. They said you must advise a police officer if you are arriving with a gun. My understanding is that, upon doing that, your gun will be taken into custody until you show/get a PR license to carry. The sign said that NOT advising an officer is a crime. Guns are extremely regulated here (I live here in the winter) along with ammunition. I think the poster here was lucky.
    Last edited by bill gray; 12-27-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill gray View Post
    I think the poster here was lucky.
    No, I'm a peace officer and exempt from all that, though I never once identified myself as that while there. And there were no such signs that I could see at SJU.

The point of this thread was to disprove what I was told about how I'd be screwed with at the airport about trying to check in a firearm. In reality nobody batted an eye.

No, I'm a peace officer and exempt from all that, though I never once identified myself as that while there. And there were no such signs that I could see at SJU.

The point of this thread was to disprove what I was told about how I'd be screwed with at the airport about trying to check in a firearm. In reality nobody batted an eye.
    People forget that LEOSA applies in all territories and Indian reservations. Puerto Rico has never been a problem for LEOSA, neither has Guam.

Virgin Islands, CNMI, and American Samoa are another story as they are incapable of reading law.

A while back, airlines would either ask to see a Puerto Rico license or a police ID.

Keep in mind that if you frequent Puerto Rico, get a gun license as it's shall issue and the cost is waived for government employee's, since LEOSA alone doesn't exempt you from the gun free schools act and being that PR is in the 1st circuit, they are fairly anti-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    People forget that LEOSA applies in all territories and Indian reservations. Puerto Rico has never been a problem for LEOSA, neither has Guam.
    At no time did I identify myself as a LEO to anyone, neither going to, coming from, nor while I was in Puerto Rico.

Centurion
    At no time did I identify myself as a LEO to anyone, neither going to, coming from, nor while I was in Puerto Rico.
    So, you just bragging that you didn't get caught?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Get caught doing what? I didn't break any laws.

Centurion
    Get caught doing what? I didn't break any laws.
    That isn't a requirement to not be "selected for special treatment" by some! LOL
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

That isn't a requirement to not be "selected for special treatment" by some! LOL
    How could I be selected for special treatment when I never ID'd myself?

When you learn to read you'll see 2 things:

*This thread is about getting past the hearsay and fear mongering that goes on with this issue. You wouldn't believe how many people I've talked to that tell me they won't take their pistol on vacation (even though they have a permit/license to carry valid at their destination) because they "know" they'll get hassled at the airport. it just doesn't happen. Flying with a gun in checked luggage is no big deal.

*I routinely put down the special laws for LEO's on these boards and have been working to make them for everybody. I frequently open carry as a form of solidarity and to make the public more used to seeing arms. the ultimate goal should be absolute equality and constitutional carry everywhere!

But I'm not going to hide the fact that for now things are unbalanced in my favor and that I exercise my ability to do things that, for now, others can't. That would be a lie by omission.

Centurion
    PK, that was NOT the direction I was going with my "special treatment" comment....

Never hear of a OEO deciding that someone is asking for "special treatment" for things like Contempt of cop?

I do appreciate the rest of your following comments specially the last two.
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 12-28-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

No, it appears that he carried under LEOSA. The "getting caught" aspect if you will means that he didn't have any encounter with the policia down there so he didn't have to show his ID.

He was referring to United Airlines, they didn't ask for anything special. I know that Jet Blue was asked to see either a PR firearms license or a police ID for anyone checking in firearms if they were traveling to Puerto Rico.

Centurion

I would like to hear about any cases in the U.S. Virgin Islands or Guam

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

Virgin Islands, CNMI, and American Samoa are another story as they are incapable of reading law.

A while back, airlines would either ask to see a Puerto Rico license or a police ID.

Keep in mind that if you frequent Puerto Rico, get a gun license as it's shall issue and the cost is waived for government employee's, since LEOSA alone doesn't exempt you from the gun free schools act and being that PR is in the 1st circuit, they are fairly anti-gun.
    It might make a good story to write about. The U.S. Virgin Islands has one of the highest homicide rates in the world.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2013/05...de-rateus.html