Thread: the video you must watch

the video you must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6yaeD-E_MY

I believe that if I was standing 15-20 feet away and filming this event with my own camera then this man would be alive.

no comments. interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    no comments. interesting.
    "Interesting" is a comment

Pretty hard to watch. Short summary for those who don't have the time to do the research: July 2011, Fullerton, CA. A homeless man, Kelly Thomas, is beaten by several police officers and dies several days later, never having regained consciousness from the beating. Its not clear to me why he came to the attention of police. No drugs or alcohol are found in his system. Over the next several months, three officers are arrested and criminally charged, public outrage leads to the recall of 3 of 5 Fullerton council members, the Fullerton police chief takes a medical leave of absence and eventually resigns.

Fast forward to the present, it appears that two of the officers involved are on trial for Thomas' death (trial began Dec 3, 2013). A third officer is awaiting a separate trial.

Banned
    There are SOOOO many of the videos being posted every day .. its getting hard for people to claim that they are isolated incidents anymore....

I saw 4 or 5 posted yesterday regarding actions of that day .... I could have started threads for each ... but we all know the facts ..

We need fewer, less aggressive cops.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markand View Post
    Pretty hard to watch. Short summary for those who don't have the time to do the research: July 2011, Fullerton, CA. A homeless man, Kelly Thomas, is beaten by several police officers and dies several days later, never having regained consciousness from the beating. Its not clear to me why he came to the attention of police. No drugs or alcohol are found in his system. Over the next several months, three officers are arrested and criminally charged, public outrage leads to the recall of 3 of 5 Fullerton council members, the Fullerton police chief takes a medical leave of absence and eventually resigns.

Fast forward to the present, it appears that two of the officers involved are on trial for Thomas' death (trial began Dec 3, 2013). A third officer is awaiting a separate trial.
    Thanks for the update.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    And, an end to the Blue Wall of Silence.

Police apologists would have us believe that the only three bad cops on the Fullerton PD just all happened to not only be working the same shift, but also happened to be at that location that night. And, the other two cops who did nothing to stop the murder...
    Last edited by Citizen; 12-05-2013 at 12:08 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

im still waiting for the youtube video to come out that shows a cop intervening and stopping a bad cop from doing a bad thing.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...nty&id=9349329

Thomas's father, Ron, listened as a paramedic testified that he was first directed to treat an officer's minor injury, then happened to notice Thomas lying unconscious in a pool of blood.
    "Nobody at all from law enforcement directed them to Kelly. Kelly is dying in the gutter,"

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I'll take less aggressive for now and then work on fewer later. Though, you ban cop unions and watch how quickly cops become less aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I'll take less aggressive for now and then work on fewer later. Though, you ban cop unions and watch how quickly cops become less aggressive.
    Cop unions should be criminal. Their mere existence is a conflict of interest which rises to the level of aggression against the sovereignty of the people.

Yes, public servant unions should be disbanded, as servants they are demanding of their public masters (an observation made by Popper in 'Open Society' IIRC).

Speaking of unions, and the McJobs' underemployed; can you believe that they are so overpaid that they can afford to walk-off the job? Will wonders never cease?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-05-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Disban all public servant unions then. Ems fire state workers teachers city workers etc.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Unions are a problem, but they are not the cause of this incident. This incident happened because several officers thought they were above the rest of society. They were wrong, and hopefully they will go to prison where they can play drop the soap in the shower.

PRISON is exactly what is needed to clear the problem up, and not just for extreme cases. When officers violate the law, they should be arrested, tried and punished, just like any other citizen. The problem is not unions so much as it is Homeland Security, police are now tied to the federal government. And as they are and used as government enforcers, federal investigations and prosecutions is no longer effective.

The public should expect agencies to not watch the others back, but be a check to abuses. The FBI being at the top of that list. When we go back to the prosecution of police as was the case when Jimmy Carter was president, they will be more careful. Maybe not start down the wrong path to begin with.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Was your PD tied to homeland security? Are you referring to grants? Like oui grants or seat belt grants (usually state level) or something like body armor grants?

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Was your PD tied to homeland security? Are you referring to grants? Like oui grants or seat belt grants (usually state level) or something like body armor grants?

Homeland security did not exist when I was a officer. And the FBI and state agencies aggressively went after bad police officers.

Almost every agency in the country now gets federal funds, for equipment, and in some instances actually pay the salary of the local officers. HS has been giving automatic firearms to agencies for some time.

We saw during the gov shutdown the crybabies come out of the woodwork when their money started to get cut off. Damn shame that shutdown could not have been permanent.

Hopefully the courts make a example of these three officers and throw the book at them after they are convicted. It is a shame they cannot get the death penalty. I would love to personally throw the switch. There is nothing more I can't stand than a dirty police officer, they are a pimple on the ass of society and the good police officers.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Sure I agree with those ties. Some grants from the feds allow local PDS to hire more guys. Grants allow equipment to be bought. I don't equate this to some government take over though.

The .gov gives grants to everyone from farmers to teachers to police to small business owners to doctors. They are not all ".gov take covers".

Sure I agree with those ties. Some grants from the feds allow local PDS to hire more guys. Grants allow equipment to be bought. I don't equate this to some government take over though.

The .gov gives grants to everyone from farmers to teachers to police to small business owners to doctors. They are not all ".gov take covers".

Your ADD medication, if you are taking any, is not working. The topic regards the senseless, brutal beating death at the hands of sworn police officers of a citizen protected from such acts.

Thread derailment appears to be a luxury of the protected class of participant.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    Your ADD medication, if you are taking any, is not working. The topic regards the senseless, brutal beating death at the hands of sworn police officers of a citizen protected from such acts.

Thread derailment appears to be a luxury of the protected class of participant.
    Comment is uncalled for and not needed. If two guys want to talk about something on a "derailment" then so be it. Are you now the police trying to strong earn us from talking about certain things?

Finally, I don't appreciate the personal insult. I'd appreciate it if you refrained from it in the future. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Primus; 12-05-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

And your belief is the problem. The government giving grants is contrary to our founding fathers' belief, as well as my belief.

Government grants are nothing more than buying loyalty, buying votes and buying obedience. Correction, buying blind obedience.

The law is perverted. And the police powers of the state are perverted along with it. The law not only turned from its proper purpose, but has been made to follow an entirely contrary purpose. The law has become the weapon of every kind of greed. Instead of checking crime, the law itself is guilty of the evils it is supposed to punish.

You have a good day.....

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post

Hopefully the courts make a example of these three officers and throw the book at them after they are convicted. It is a shame they cannot get the death penalty. I would love to personally throw the switch. There is nothing more I can't stand than a dirty police officer, they are a pimple on the ass of society and the good police officers.
    At least one is charged with 2nd degree murder, which may or may not be appropriate. If a citizen had committed this crime, they would be charged with 1st degree murder and likely convicted, with a real shot at death row. I think he'll be convicted of manslaughter and serve maybe a year or two. There's something about people who live in jurisdictions like this though that makes them worship government more than the average Amerikan, so acquittal wouldn't shock me.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.