• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun sales overwhelm DOL registry

sudden valley gunner

It's legal because it's not maintained by a law enforcement agency. This was brought up at the judiciary committee meeting when it was asked why DOL was in charge of this and not a dept more suited like WSP. They came flat out and said because it would be illegal for WSP, but it's legal for DOL.

Thats why I didn't say Illegal, it still isn't "legal" because they were not legislated to do this.

I would say it's in blatant opposition to the 4th A and to article 1 section 7, these clauses were specifically put in place to protect our information from government.

massivedesign

Do you happen to know what statute or what have you makes it illegal fo LE to maintain a registry?

Tying to find something to back my claim. The only info I have on hand is what Judiciary and DOL conversed about during the meeting. I think I'll send an email to Tanaka at DOL to see if he can provide more info on it.

Jeff Hayes

I wonder how that would work for my EDC which was purchased when I was a resident of another state. There is no record of me buying it in WA at all - granted that would be true of private transfers as well, but if you got an LEO with a bad attitude, I could get baited with "the gun is not legally mine."

Its not your responsability to prove it is yours it is up to the Cops to prove it is not. You are correct they would be baiting you if they tried that.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Registered weapons could lead to a "new york" style confiscation. Remember Col. Bela in Red Dawn?

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/12/05/gun-confiscation-underway-in-new-york-n1758137

The New York City Police Department is taking aim at owners of certain shotguns and rifles, telling them all long guns with a five-round or more capacity must be turned in, altered or taken out of town.

An estimated 500 recipients of the notices, which were mailed on Nov. 18, were given the options to surrender their gun, permanently move the gun out of city jurisdiction or employ a licensed gunsmith to modify the weapon to get into compliance with the law. Rifles and shotguns with a capacity of five or more rounds are affected.

1. Immediately surrender your Rifle and/or Shotgun to your local police precinct, and notify this office of the invoice number. The firearm may be sold or permanently removed from the City of New York thereafter.

2. Permanently remove your Rifle and/or Shotgun from New York City and provide the following

[notarized, documented, proof that you got rid of the firearm]

3. You may call to discuss the matter if you believe your firearm is in compliance, or you may request the option to bring your firearm to a licensed gunsmith for a permanent modification and certification proving that it is permanently modified and in compliance.

Do not let this happen here.

509rifas

Registered weapons could lead to a "new york" style confiscation. Remember Col. Bela in Red Dawn?

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/12/05/gun-confiscation-underway-in-new-york-n1758137

The New York City Police Department is taking aim at owners of certain shotguns and rifles, telling them all long guns with a five-round or more capacity must be turned in, altered or taken out of town.

An estimated 500 recipients of the notices, which were mailed on Nov. 18, were given the options to surrender their gun, permanently move the gun out of city jurisdiction or employ a licensed gunsmith to modify the weapon to get into compliance with the law. Rifles and shotguns with a capacity of five or more rounds are affected.

1. Immediately surrender your Rifle and/or Shotgun to your local police precinct, and notify this office of the invoice number. The firearm may be sold or permanently removed from the City of New York thereafter.

2. Permanently remove your Rifle and/or Shotgun from New York City and provide the following

[notarized, documented, proof that you got rid of the firearm]

3. You may call to discuss the matter if you believe your firearm is in compliance, or you may request the option to bring your firearm to a licensed gunsmith for a permanent modification and certification proving that it is permanently modified and in compliance.

Do not let this happen here.

I hope the SAF, NRA, and ACLU will team up on this like they did when Washington DC police announced they would be doing "consentual" house-to-house searches for public safety, with seven or eight officers showing up "just sign here if you have nothing to hide..."

This isn't New York though. I don't think our cops would even enforce it. The Yakima County Sheriff even said he won't have his deputies enforcing unconstitutional gun laws after they started talking AWB again.

massivedesign

I hope the SAF, NRA, and ACLU will team up on this like they did when Washington DC police announced they would be doing "consentual" house-to-house searches for public safety, with seven or eight officers showing up "just sign here if you have nothing to hide..."

This isn't New York though. I don't think our cops would even enforce it. The Yakima County Sheriff even said he won't have his deputies enforcing unconstitutional gun laws after they started talking AWB again.

The interwebz strike again...

http://forums.officer.com/t190791/#post3380842
Well, this is settled.

I called our good colleagues at the Rifle & Shotgun Section. They are well aware of the sh*tstorm this caused all over the web.

This letter was sent to ONE person...for reasons involving hisspecific permit. He then changed it a bit to make it look like something it wasn't, and posted it online.

Done and done.

EMNofSeattle

So this was hype over nothing? Did the guy really change the document and then lie and say that's what he got to get every one wound up?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

A blog post from an Internet forum of people claiming to be police officers is not my definition of an authoritative source.... Unless you can vouch for "frenchie" as beig authentic from personally knowing him...

Primus

A blog post from an Internet forum of people claiming to be police officers is not my definition of an authoritative source.... Unless you can vouch for "frenchie" as beig authentic from personally knowing him...

Just asking emn. I asked previously if somebody had a confirmation this letter was real. Never heard back and I couldnt find confirmation either. Seems like of this really was the real deal it'd be all over. I could be wrong

EMNofSeattle

Just asking emn. I asked previously if somebody had a confirmation this letter was real. Never heard back and I couldnt find confirmation either. Seems like of this really was the real deal it'd be all over. I could be wrong

So you're saying we shouldn't trust it becuase it's being spread on blogs and forums with no confirmation, and in support of that you post a thread on a site much like ours except for cops and saying becuase somebody who implies he's a NYPD officer says he's verified it fake you believe that?

At best it's still unknown.

Fox News is now running the story and NYPD is still not flatly denying it. Now that mainstream sources are covering this you'd think there'd be some response

Primus

So you're saying we shouldn't trust it becuase it's being spread on blogs and forums with no confirmation, and in support of that you post a thread on a site much like ours except for cops and saying becuase somebody who implies he's a NYPD officer says he's verified it fake you believe that?

At best it's still unknown.

Fox News is now running the story and NYPD is still not flatly denying it. Now that mainstream sources are covering this you'd think there'd be some response

First I didn't post anything. I asked because someone else posted it. Second I agree its at best unknown.

509rifas

Considering recent history, it really could be either.
With those infamous chain emails that came out after the 2008 election, to the "Safe Homes Initiative" or whatever doublespeak they used in Boston, Washington DC, and whatever other police state cities, there really is precedent for people posting on the internet complete BS to scare gun owners into a frenzy, as well as numerous police departments publicly announcing that they'll send a squad of officers to homes to do house-to-house searches "just to make sure there are no illegal weapons."
It's something to look into. If it's a hoax, then ef you very much to the author. But considering East Coast LE's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, it's believable at least.
I advise caution in reposting stuff you find online, but there's leeway when it's so plausible.

kparker

NavyLCDR,

Notice that interesting word "may" in there, rather than the obvious alternatives "shall" or "must"? By my reading the DOL could decide, all on its own, to not keep these purchase records.

sudden valley gunner

Then I guess we should try to repeal RCW 9.41.129?

Is that not the exact legislation that does allow them to do this? So, how can it be true that they were not legislated to do it?

Yes we should.

What I was getting at is the disclosing and sharing of the information creating a "registration".