Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: University of New Haven Case?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337

    University of New Haven Case?

    Anybody watching this one?

    Mr. Dong is being charged under some of the new laws. Apparently, 911 callers reported MWAG. The article says a mass shooting was "averted" but the only charges relate to possession, transport and BOP...IOW, low-hanging fruit. No charges relating to threats/assault. The kid is a crim justice major at UNH...so presumably he'd know a thing or two about criminal justice and not run afoul of the basics of possession/transport. Bond is set at $500K, which seems a little high for these charges esp when the kid is living with his parents...hardly a flight risk.

    http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/S...nt-5034471.php

    It seems like the response is no joke when police get an MWAG call, the publicity is swift, they'll search your home AND they'll put a high bond on you to keep you locked up. Hopefully additional details come out that make this all make sense.

    They found "newspaper clippings" about mass shootings...which I find a little hard to believe. 22-year-old kids don't really read newspapers and for sure they don't clip articles out...i'd be surprised if 22-year-olds even know how to use scissors. Kids these days are 100% computerized. Even if the clippings were there, he's a crim justice major...could very well have had them for some legit class purpose.

    2 handguns (properly permitted) on his person, and an AW in his car...according to TV sources.
    Last edited by CT Barfly; 12-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    His Facebook page shows that he liked various violent video games, including Call of Duty, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Rage, Ghost Recon and Company of Heroes.
    definitely, what a dork! kids these days don't use electronic entertainment, they play outside with sticks.... It's definitely not normal that a 22 year old plays X-box....

    It was not immediately clear if the weapons were legally owned
    you mean actually confirming if he broke a law before plastering his name and face all over the media for the public to see? That's for losers.....

    this reminds me of a Yankee Marshal video

    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 12-04-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337
    Yeah yeah...but the "newspaper clippings"...there's something very 70's-zodiac-killer about those. It just screams crazy.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    --snipped-
    this reminds me of a Yankee Marshal video
    The media would equate being prepared with having criminal intent. They would demonize the wood chopper from Little Red Riding Hood.

    Reserving judgement.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-05-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The media would equate being prepared with having criminal intent. They would demonize the wood chopper from Little Red Riding Hood.

    Reserving judgement.

    Normally, I would agree.

    However, the laws in this state have swung over so much to the antis side that any criminal charges made by the state that would include anything to do with the storage, transportation, or possession of guns would be nullified by me as a member of the jury.

    Now I don't think that this particular defendant is really any harm to the community; but this would apply to ANY defendant charged with anything related to any AW law, etc.

    Certainly within the law for a jurist to apply political reasons for a vote of not-guilty. A scorched earth policy.

    Unless a defendant actually harms another, I will not find him guilty.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    The cover photo of Dong's Facebook page features a photo of Ledger as the Joker, and the page indicates he has a penchant for violent video games such as "Call of Duty," "Rage" and "Saints Row."
    Oh. Well. Get the rope.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337
    Police continue to search for clues that would indicate that this kid was up to something bad. Fairfield PD Chief says that so far nothing sticks out.

    The news reports sound like they are really going to be digging into his background...which is the normal response to not finding anything of note at first glance. Kid lives with his family, went to local HS, 10yrs in the community.

    Also...the Call of Duty franchise has sold 95 MILLION copies in North America alone...that's a lot of school shooters to track down if you ask me.

    Now, they might find something...and that's fine. In fact, I would be relieved if they DID find out that the PD saved the day. The info that is coming out just doesn't seem to be pointing in that direction.

    News today is saying that he brought TWO HANDGUNS to campus and had an ammo cache AT HOME. Other reports say he was found with an AW in his car at a nearby grocery store. Well, the kid has a permit to carry and campus carry isn't prohibited by state law...so i'm having a hard time finding a criminal act.

    So far, doesn't seem like a mass shooting was "averted"...sounds more like an active-shooter response exercise. 4hr lockdown of the campus, armored vehicles, SWAT, FBI...everybody got in on this one.
    Last edited by CT Barfly; 12-05-2013 at 08:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    The best part: the kid was in cuffs within a couple of minutes of the initial call, by just the responding officers.

    And then they kept coming: SWAT, FBI, neighboring departments, even a department from two towns over, in their tacticool HSLD Pro Operator gear (either that, or the Cav Store exploded and rained down on Connecticut). The Lenco BEARCAT got used for more than just a parade, along with other beefed-up tactical vehicles.

    Overkill, much?

    Don't forget, the "assault weapon" law doesn't even take effect until 1/1. His only crime at this point was having 15 rounds in the Glock magazine, but that's a misdemeanor on the first offense.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    101

    good points

    Quote Originally Posted by CT Barfly View Post
    Police continue to search for clues that would indicate that this kid was up to something bad. Fairfield PD Chief says that so far nothing sticks out.

    The news reports sound like they are really going to be digging into his background...which is the normal response to not finding anything of note at first glance. Kid lives with his family, went to local HS, 10yrs in the community.

    Also...the Call of Duty franchise has sold 95 MILLION copies in North America alone...that's a lot of school shooters to track down if you ask me.

    Now, they might find something...and that's fine. In fact, I would be relieved if they DID find out that the PD saved the day. The info that is coming out just doesn't seem to be pointing in that direction.

    News today is saying that he brought TWO HANDGUNS to campus and had an ammo cache AT HOME. Other reports say he was found with an AW in his car at a nearby grocery store. Well, the kid has a permit to carry and campus carry isn't prohibited by state law...so i'm having a hard time finding a criminal act.

    So far, doesn't seem like a mass shooting was "averted"...sounds more like an active-shooter response exercise. 4hr lockdown of the campus, armored vehicles, SWAT, FBI...everybody got in on this one.

    All valid points,which begs the question I posted to the article in the Register, what section or specific clause in the new law prevented anything that happened that day? The premise for the "emergency" legislation was "to prevent these kinds of things from happening." Now, I'm aware that in fact, NOTHING HAPPENED but then no law can prevent anything. I don't know all the particulars but from reading others here it sounds like a fishing expedition to justify the expense.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

    "Here sir, the people govern." -- Alexander Hamilton (speech in the New York ratifying convention, 17 June 1788) Reference: The Debates of the Several State..., Elliot, vol. 2 (348)

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    The best part: the kid was in cuffs within a couple of minutes of the initial call, by just the responding officers.

    And then they kept coming: SWAT, FBI, neighboring departments, even a department from two towns over, in their tacticool HSLD Pro Operator gear (either that, or the Cav Store exploded and rained down on Connecticut). The Lenco BEARCAT got used for more than just a parade, along with other beefed-up tactical vehicles.

    Overkill, much?

    Don't forget, the "assault weapon" law doesn't even take effect until 1/1. His only crime at this point was having 15 rounds in the Glock magazine, but that's a misdemeanor on the first offense.
    The assault weapon law was enforceable after 4/5/13. The registration requirements must be completed by 1/1/14.

    Just to clarify.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337

    Update

    http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...234260111.html

    Interesting!

    He was planning on going to the range...left the AR in the car OFF CAMPUS. Friends are coming forward describing him as anti-violence.

    Dong's best friend, Manuel Pallares, said Dong carries weapons every day to protect himself while working at an armored truck company that delivers money.

    "I'm pretty sure he's not going to go out and shoot people," Pallares said. "He frowns on those people. He hates hearing about gun violence."

    PD or news outlets are trying to spin this as bad as they can...confirming the handguns, and the permit status...then trying to say that they're not sure the permit was for THOSE guns. As we all know, CT's permit is not gun specific.


    "Dong was taken into custody about 20 minutes after the 911 call, police said, He had two loaded handguns, a 9mm Glock 26 that had 10 rounds of ammunition and one in the chamber, and a .40-caliber Glock 22 with 15 rounds and one in the chamber, police said."

    AND

    "Fairfield police said Dong has legal gun permits for two handguns, but they haven't specified whether those are the same guns recovered yesterday."

    Talk about a smear campaign.
    Last edited by CT Barfly; 12-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337
    If his rifle was loaded in his car...magazine, chamber or barrel...then he's got an illegal transport charge that should stick and the kid fouled up. The news articles DO say that this was the case. He's also over the 10rd mag limit for the .40 cal.

    This is NOT in any way justification for the kid's treatment...$500K bond, mental health eval, home search, etc.

    Right now this is happening:

    Two kids in Redding misused their social media accounts, one in a threatening manner...no massive response, no huge bond.

    http://www.wfsb.com/story/24153602/r...s-on-instagram

    What is going on in CT?
    Last edited by CT Barfly; 12-06-2013 at 01:40 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910

    Cool Well... Lawlor *is* incompetent...

    "This is the kind of logic that makes gun advocates crazy.

    “The very premise of breach of peace is ‘violent or tumultuous behavior,’” said Rich Burgess, president of Connecticut Carry. Since carrying a weapon in public is legal, doing so is exempted from the breach-of-peace statute, he said.

    Calling Lawlor incompetent, Burgess said, “He doesn’t understand the laws, and he’s using it as a political stunt to hurt people. ... We’ve actually sued them on several occasions because they didn’t know the law.”

    As for the snake analogy, “A snake has a mind of its own and can do things on its own and a firearm doesn’t.” And besides, he said, it’s not clear that bringing a snake into a restaurant would result in an arrest.

    Burgess doesn’t believe the state police or local police departments are often correct on gun laws, either. “The state police have definitely shown a political attitude toward the carrying of firearms ... and we are against that,” he said.

    As for Dong, Burgess said, “He didn’t do anything. He was simply in possession of items that were ... questionably illegal.”"

    Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade...

    http://www.nhregister.com/general-ne...ith-exceptions
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    "This is the kind of logic that makes gun advocates crazy.

    “The very premise of breach of peace is ‘violent or tumultuous behavior,’” said Rich Burgess, president of Connecticut Carry. Since carrying a weapon in public is legal, doing so is exempted from the breach-of-peace statute, he said.

    Calling Lawlor incompetent, Burgess said, “He doesn’t understand the laws, and he’s using it as a political stunt to hurt people. ... We’ve actually sued them on several occasions because they didn’t know the law.”

    As for the snake analogy, “A snake has a mind of its own and can do things on its own and a firearm doesn’t.” And besides, he said, it’s not clear that bringing a snake into a restaurant would result in an arrest.

    Burgess doesn’t believe the state police or local police departments are often correct on gun laws, either. “The state police have definitely shown a political attitude toward the carrying of firearms ... and we are against that,” he said.

    As for Dong, Burgess said, “He didn’t do anything. He was simply in possession of items that were ... questionably illegal.”"

    Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade...

    http://www.nhregister.com/general-ne...ith-exceptions
    don't we already have threads about this?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337
    Interestingly, Mr. Dong was due in court today...news outlets seem to be awfully quiet this evening.

    I'd love to know how the hearing went.

  16. #16
    Regular Member brk913's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Plainville, CT
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by CT Barfly View Post
    Interestingly, Mr. Dong was due in court today...news outlets seem to be awfully quiet this evening.

    I'd love to know how the hearing went.
    Continued till tomorrow: http://www.jud2.ct.gov/crdockets/Cas...e-cdc105aa4082
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •