• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University of New Haven Case?

CT Barfly

Anybody watching this one?

Mr. Dong is being charged under some of the new laws. Apparently, 911 callers reported MWAG. The article says a mass shooting was "averted" but the only charges relate to possession, transport and BOP...IOW, low-hanging fruit. No charges relating to threats/assault. The kid is a crim justice major at UNH...so presumably he'd know a thing or two about criminal justice and not run afoul of the basics of possession/transport. Bond is set at $500K, which seems a little high for these charges esp when the kid is living with his parents...hardly a flight risk.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Suspect-in-UNH-gun-threat-faces-arraignment-5034471.php

It seems like the response is no joke when police get an MWAG call, the publicity is swift, they'll search your home AND they'll put a high bond on you to keep you locked up. Hopefully additional details come out that make this all make sense.

They found "newspaper clippings" about mass shootings...which I find a little hard to believe. 22-year-old kids don't really read newspapers and for sure they don't clip articles out...i'd be surprised if 22-year-olds even know how to use scissors. Kids these days are 100% computerized. Even if the clippings were there, he's a crim justice major...could very well have had them for some legit class purpose.

2 handguns (properly permitted) on his person, and an AW in his car...according to TV sources.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

His Facebook page shows that he liked various violent video games, including Call of Duty, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Rage, Ghost Recon and Company of Heroes.

definitely, what a dork! kids these days don't use electronic entertainment, they play outside with sticks.... :rolleyes: It's definitely not normal that a 22 year old plays X-box....

It was not immediately clear if the weapons were legally owned

you mean actually confirming if he broke a law before plastering his name and face all over the media for the public to see? That's for losers.....

this reminds me of a Yankee Marshal video

[video=youtube;sxm0BZsWvXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxm0BZsWvXs[/video]

Last edited:

CT Barfly

Yeah yeah...but the "newspaper clippings"...there's something very 70's-zodiac-killer about those. It just screams crazy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped-
this reminds me of a Yankee Marshal video

The media would equate being prepared with having criminal intent. They would demonize the wood chopper from Little Red Riding Hood.

Reserving judgement.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The media would equate being prepared with having criminal intent. They would demonize the wood chopper from Little Red Riding Hood.

Reserving judgement.

Normally, I would agree.

However, the laws in this state have swung over so much to the antis side that any criminal charges made by the state that would include anything to do with the storage, transportation, or possession of guns would be nullified by me as a member of the jury.

Now I don't think that this particular defendant is really any harm to the community; but this would apply to ANY defendant charged with anything related to any AW law, etc.

Certainly within the law for a jurist to apply political reasons for a vote of not-guilty. A scorched earth policy.

Unless a defendant actually harms another, I will not find him guilty.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The cover photo of Dong's Facebook page features a photo of Ledger as the Joker, and the page indicates he has a penchant for violent video games such as "Call of Duty," "Rage" and "Saints Row."

Oh. Well. Get the rope.

CT Barfly

Police continue to search for clues that would indicate that this kid was up to something bad. Fairfield PD Chief says that so far nothing sticks out.

The news reports sound like they are really going to be digging into his background...which is the normal response to not finding anything of note at first glance. Kid lives with his family, went to local HS, 10yrs in the community.

Also...the Call of Duty franchise has sold 95 MILLION copies in North America alone...that's a lot of school shooters to track down if you ask me.

Now, they might find something...and that's fine. In fact, I would be relieved if they DID find out that the PD saved the day. The info that is coming out just doesn't seem to be pointing in that direction.

News today is saying that he brought TWO HANDGUNS to campus and had an ammo cache AT HOME. Other reports say he was found with an AW in his car at a nearby grocery store. Well, the kid has a permit to carry and campus carry isn't prohibited by state law...so i'm having a hard time finding a criminal act.

So far, doesn't seem like a mass shooting was "averted"...sounds more like an active-shooter response exercise. 4hr lockdown of the campus, armored vehicles, SWAT, FBI...everybody got in on this one.

Last edited:

KBCraig

The best part: the kid was in cuffs within a couple of minutes of the initial call, by just the responding officers.

And then they kept coming: SWAT, FBI, neighboring departments, even a department from two towns over, in their tacticool HSLD Pro Operator gear (either that, or the Cav Store exploded and rained down on Connecticut). The Lenco BEARCAT got used for more than just a parade, along with other beefed-up tactical vehicles.

Overkill, much?

Don't forget, the "assault weapon" law doesn't even take effect until 1/1. His only crime at this point was having 15 rounds in the Glock magazine, but that's a misdemeanor on the first offense.

LQM

good points

Police continue to search for clues that would indicate that this kid was up to something bad. Fairfield PD Chief says that so far nothing sticks out.

The news reports sound like they are really going to be digging into his background...which is the normal response to not finding anything of note at first glance. Kid lives with his family, went to local HS, 10yrs in the community.

Also...the Call of Duty franchise has sold 95 MILLION copies in North America alone...that's a lot of school shooters to track down if you ask me.

Now, they might find something...and that's fine. In fact, I would be relieved if they DID find out that the PD saved the day. The info that is coming out just doesn't seem to be pointing in that direction.

News today is saying that he brought TWO HANDGUNS to campus and had an ammo cache AT HOME. Other reports say he was found with an AW in his car at a nearby grocery store. Well, the kid has a permit to carry and campus carry isn't prohibited by state law...so i'm having a hard time finding a criminal act.

So far, doesn't seem like a mass shooting was "averted"...sounds more like an active-shooter response exercise. 4hr lockdown of the campus, armored vehicles, SWAT, FBI...everybody got in on this one.

All valid points,which begs the question I posted to the article in the Register, what section or specific clause in the new law prevented anything that happened that day? The premise for the "emergency" legislation was "to prevent these kinds of things from happening." Now, I'm aware that in fact, NOTHING HAPPENED but then no law can prevent anything. I don't know all the particulars but from reading others here it sounds like a fishing expedition to justify the expense.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The best part: the kid was in cuffs within a couple of minutes of the initial call, by just the responding officers.

And then they kept coming: SWAT, FBI, neighboring departments, even a department from two towns over, in their tacticool HSLD Pro Operator gear (either that, or the Cav Store exploded and rained down on Connecticut). The Lenco BEARCAT got used for more than just a parade, along with other beefed-up tactical vehicles.

Overkill, much?

Don't forget, the "assault weapon" law doesn't even take effect until 1/1. His only crime at this point was having 15 rounds in the Glock magazine, but that's a misdemeanor on the first offense.

The assault weapon law was enforceable after 4/5/13. The registration requirements must be completed by 1/1/14.

Just to clarify.

CT Barfly

Update

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...Haven-Issues-Shelter-in-Place--234260111.html

Interesting!

He was planning on going to the range...left the AR in the car OFF CAMPUS. Friends are coming forward describing him as anti-violence.

Dong's best friend, Manuel Pallares, said Dong carries weapons every day to protect himself while working at an armored truck company that delivers money.

"I'm pretty sure he's not going to go out and shoot people," Pallares said. "He frowns on those people. He hates hearing about gun violence."

PD or news outlets are trying to spin this as bad as they can...confirming the handguns, and the permit status...then trying to say that they're not sure the permit was for THOSE guns. As we all know, CT's permit is not gun specific.

"Dong was taken into custody about 20 minutes after the 911 call, police said, He had two loaded handguns, a 9mm Glock 26 that had 10 rounds of ammunition and one in the chamber, and a .40-caliber Glock 22 with 15 rounds and one in the chamber, police said."

AND

"Fairfield police said Dong has legal gun permits for two handguns, but they haven't specified whether those are the same guns recovered yesterday."

Talk about a smear campaign.

Last edited:

CT Barfly

If his rifle was loaded in his car...magazine, chamber or barrel...then he's got an illegal transport charge that should stick and the kid fouled up. The news articles DO say that this was the case. He's also over the 10rd mag limit for the .40 cal.

This is NOT in any way justification for the kid's treatment...$500K bond, mental health eval, home search, etc.

Right now this is happening:

Two kids in Redding misused their social media accounts, one in a threatening manner...no massive response, no huge bond.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/24153602/redding-students-investigated-for-gun-photos-on-instagram

What is going on in CT?

Last edited:

Rich B

Well... Lawlor *is* incompetent...

"This is the kind of logic that makes gun advocates crazy.

“The very premise of breach of peace is ‘violent or tumultuous behavior,’” said Rich Burgess, president of Connecticut Carry. Since carrying a weapon in public is legal, doing so is exempted from the breach-of-peace statute, he said.

Calling Lawlor incompetent, Burgess said, “He doesn’t understand the laws, and he’s using it as a political stunt to hurt people. ... We’ve actually sued them on several occasions because they didn’t know the law.”

As for the snake analogy, “A snake has a mind of its own and can do things on its own and a firearm doesn’t.” And besides, he said, it’s not clear that bringing a snake into a restaurant would result in an arrest.

Burgess doesn’t believe the state police or local police departments are often correct on gun laws, either. “The state police have definitely shown a political attitude toward the carrying of firearms ... and we are against that,” he said.

As for Dong, Burgess said, “He didn’t do anything. He was simply in possession of items that were ... questionably illegal.”"

Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade...

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...ows-open-carrying-of-firearms-with-exceptions

CT Barfly

"This is the kind of logic that makes gun advocates crazy.

“The very premise of breach of peace is ‘violent or tumultuous behavior,’” said Rich Burgess, president of Connecticut Carry. Since carrying a weapon in public is legal, doing so is exempted from the breach-of-peace statute, he said.

Calling Lawlor incompetent, Burgess said, “He doesn’t understand the laws, and he’s using it as a political stunt to hurt people. ... We’ve actually sued them on several occasions because they didn’t know the law.”

As for the snake analogy, “A snake has a mind of its own and can do things on its own and a firearm doesn’t.” And besides, he said, it’s not clear that bringing a snake into a restaurant would result in an arrest.

Burgess doesn’t believe the state police or local police departments are often correct on gun laws, either. “The state police have definitely shown a political attitude toward the carrying of firearms ... and we are against that,” he said.

As for Dong, Burgess said, “He didn’t do anything. He was simply in possession of items that were ... questionably illegal.”"

Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade...

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...ows-open-carrying-of-firearms-with-exceptions

don't we already have threads about this?

CT Barfly

Interestingly, Mr. Dong was due in court today...news outlets seem to be awfully quiet this evening.

I'd love to know how the hearing went.