• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got the "boot" from a Catholic Thrift Shop for Open Carrying in St. George

EMNofSeattle

Yeah, American Catholics need to get together and tell the faith to stop demonizing firearms ownership... It's frustrating because I love my church and the good it does in the world, but the firearms demonization is not based on the bible and it's a social issue that they can do better not getting involved in

cjohnson44546

Some people don't like to be confrontational. She may have been shaking just from adrenaline from having to approach you and that you were basically asked to leave, not just over a fear of guns.

If someone asked me to leave my gun at the front desk... I would say something more along the lines of "Gun safety is too important to leave my gun unattended or in someone else's care, thats just asking for an accident to happen"

J_dazzle23

I'm down in the area. Maybe ill pay a visit :) :) :)

Makin' it through class with tapatalk

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yubPWtYruLU

I think the thing that galls me about having been expelled from this place is that it is the 2a that defends that volunteer's 1a to practice her faith.

She's practicing it poorly. Luke 22:36, the verse about selling a cloak to buy a sword.

You could also ask her why its OK for the pope to protect himself with a company of Swiss Guards armed to the teeth with automatic weapons, but its not OK for you to carry a single small pistol for your own defense.

A little letter to the local diocese might be in order.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

She's practicing it poorly. Luke 22:36, the verse about selling a cloak to buy a sword.

You could also ask her why its OK for the pope to protect himself with a company of Swiss Guards armed to the teeth with automatic weapons, but its not OK for you to carry a single small pistol for your own defense.

A little letter to the local diocese might be in order.

Won't do anything, it's just like police and military forces, the higher in rank the more a politician they are. Most catholic bishops don't like guns that much. Write the diocese definitely, but I already know what they're going to say, and it won't be "we set our policy around local law."

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Most catholic bishops don't like guns that much. ...

Which "gun" are we talking about, again?

ThisisMyRifle.jpg

F350

The catholic church has been liberal and progressive for a very long time, it is unlikely to change.

The new pope's first papal exhortation that was recently released sounded like a chapter from Karl Marx's Das Kapital. What little use I had for the catholic church (richest church on earth; made up of the poorest people on earth) is now gone!

davidmcbeth

Banned
The new pope's first papal exhortation that was recently released sounded like a chapter from Karl Marx's Das Kapital. What little use I had for the catholic church (richest church on earth; made up of the poorest people on earth) is now gone!

Sonny, when the church did start wholesale excommunications with politicians who supported abortion laws in the 70's & 80's showed that the church did not care about the Holy Ghost too much .... the church knows that abortion is a sin against the Holy Ghost that is never forgivable....damning millions to hell.

Just church teaching der ..

HPmatt

So do you live in Mormonville or Polygamyville UT?:confused:

I think I would have turned back in the $2.25 in items to her and left.
Would think you should call back and ask the manager/priest/nun what their policy is on 2A and civil rights.

Perhaps give some examples:
- poor blacks w/o guns being lynched by WhiteGuysWAG,
- Sandinistas (supported by Democrats) raping and killing nuns in Central America and terrorizing peasants that didn't own guns;
- Jews in Rome that the Pope let the Nazis load up onto trains to extermination camps because they didn't have guns,
- Mormons killed by folks back in MA, OH, IN and MO because they didn't have enough guns,
- Mormons killing Arkansas settlers at Mountain Meadows because they didn't have enough guns…..

independence

One never knows how one will react in these situations, but if I was able to think fast, I'd like it to go something like this:

Freaked woman: "Is that loaded?"

OCer: "That? Yes! -- I was wondering...Can you tell me where I would find the scarves??"

Freaked woman: "Can I ask you to leave your gun at the front desk?"

OCer: "Now you don't really think that would be a good idea, do you? Leaving a loaded gun in a desk where I child could get it? No, I prefer to have it safely holstered and ready for self defense. Also, what if a bad guy came in to rob the place? By the time I got back to the front desk to retrieve it, we'd all be dead! Naa.... I think it's gonna be safest right here. But anyway, back to the scarves -- I'm looking for a scarf that is red and that will go with this coat. Can you help me with that, Sweety?"

Freaked woman: "I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

EDIT: Maybe you should skip this manager part, depending on the laws of your state:
OCer: "M'am, I afraid I'm going to need to speak with the manager of the store."

{If the woman claims to be the manager and it seems believable, or she gets the manager and they aren't agreeable either, then...}

OCer: "I'm really disappointed that you are willing to discriminate against a customer based solely on their choice to carry a defensive tool. I do have to let you know that me and my money have been coming here a long time and I will unfortunately not be returning. Good day to you..."

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

One never knows how one will react in these situations, but if I was able to think fast, I'd like it to go something like this:

Freaked woman: "Is that loaded?"

OCer: "That? Yes! -- I was wondering...Can you tell me where I would find the scarves??"

Freaked woman: "Can I ask you to leave your gun at the front desk?"

OCer: "Now you don't really think that would be a good idea, do you? Leaving a loaded gun in a desk where I child could get it? No, I prefer to have it safely holstered and ready for self defense. Also, what if a bad guy came in to rob the place? By the time I got back to the front desk to retrieve it, we'd all be dead! Naa.... I think it's gonna be safest right here. But anyway, back to the scarves -- I'm looking for a scarf that is red and that will go with this coat. Can you help me with that, Sweety?"

Freaked woman: "I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

OCer: "M'am, I afraid I'm going to need to speak with the manager of the store."

{If the woman claims to be the manager and it seems believable, or she gets the manager and they aren't agreeable either, then...}

OCer: "I'm really disappointed that you are willing to discriminate against a customer based solely on their choice to carry a defensive tool. I do have to let you know that me and my money have been coming here a long time and I will unfortunately not be returning. Good day to you..."

NO NO NO

Do not refuse a command to leave the store given by any employee! If you believe they were not a manager leave and call one! Refusing commands to leave private property is a good way to get slapped with a jacket for criminal trespass!

independence

NO NO NO

Do not refuse a command to leave the store given by any employee! If you believe they were not a manager leave and call one! Refusing commands to leave private property is a good way to get slapped with a jacket for criminal trespass!

Hmm. Never heard that before. Educate me, please. I thought it had to be someone in authority at the place of business. Perhaps I'm wrong. Does it differ from state to state?

JustaShooter

Hmm. Never heard that before. Educate me, please. I thought it had to be someone in authority at the place of business. Perhaps I'm wrong. Does it differ from state to state?

It does vary from state to state. In Ohio it does not have to be someone with authority, any employee will do. I've seen in other state laws (but cannot recall which at the moment) where it must be someone with authority.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Unless the law clearly says it must be a manager or the like, you should assume ANY employee has the authority.

If I owned a place, I'd be pissed if a customer ignored an employee. That's why I hired them, to talk to customers so that I don't have to.

If you think the employee is acting outside of his authority (and most aren't), you should leave first, then call.

If it turns out you were right, the manager will first appreciate your respect of his store, and then apologize, and then train the employee.

Last edited: