• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ex police and CCW permits

onus

I just met a guy who is an ex cop and he says he had to apply for a CCW permit and its only good in 34 states.

I told him I thought ex cops automatically have ccw priviledges and its good in all 50 states.

whats the deal ?

Primus

Are u referring to leosa? You have to be retired from the job last time I checked. So if your fired or quit it doesn't apply. Ilk see if I can find the link a Buddy sent

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

BrianB

Just as a SWAG, I'd say it has to do with the reason he is an ex-cop.

Yep, not all ex-cops qualify. Under LEOSA:

In accordance with 18 USC § 926C,[5] a "qualified retired law enforcement officer" is an individual who:

1. separated from service in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer;

2. before such separation, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);

3. before such separation, served as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more; or separated from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;

4. during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State;

5. has not been officially found by a qualified medical professional employed by the agency to be unqualified for reasons relating to mental health and as a result of this finding will not be issued photographic identification; or has not entered into an agreement with the agency from which the individual is separating from service in which that individual acknowledges he or she is not qualified under this section for reasons relating to mental health and for those reasons will not receive or accept photographic identification;

6. is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

7. is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

Last edited:

Chief1297

In NC, the qualifications under LEOSA is a lot more strict then just carrying concealed with a normal civillian permit. Annual certifications versus shooting just once. 100 rounds day/night fire compared to about 25 in one sitting amongst other differences. Big difference.

Primus

In NC, the qualifications under LEOSA is a lot more strict then just carrying concealed with a normal civillian permit. Annual certifications versus shooting just once. 100 rounds day/night fire compared to about 25 in one sitting amongst other differences. Big difference.

I've been having trouble finding out exactly how that works. Each state has different leosa rules? I've heard that some PDS don't know or understand it so they lock off duties up over it. Has anyone heard about ocing under leosa? Like say I went to an oc meet up in a different state anyone know if leosa would cover it? Or does it go state by state?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've been having trouble finding out exactly how that works. Each state has different leosa rules? I've heard that some PDS don't know or understand it so they lock off duties up over it. Has anyone heard about ocing under leosa? Like say I went to an oc meet up in a different state anyone know if leosa would cover it? Or does it go state by state?

LEOSA only covers CC. Read it for the proof. And it's not a blanket permission. Emphasis added

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified retired law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b). (b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that - (1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.
- See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/926C#sthash.8kEUWYBd.dpuf

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Only a CCW from Interstate Commerce? Not a CCW from local state manufacture?

1 - You know this is just muddying the waters and gets the discussion nowhere. Stop it.

2 - You know Congress cannot do anything about something that happens entirely within the borders of a single state. (And yes, they pervert things by arguing that if the raw materials moved in interstate commerce ....)

3 - Seriously, how is this argument of yours going? Has it actually acomplished anything? If so please share the news. (And remember that any answer you provide will be causing electrons to move in interstate commerce, so watch out for congressional interference.)

stay safe.

Firearms Iinstuctor

1 - You know this is just muddying the waters and gets the discussion nowhere. Stop it.

2 - You know Congress cannot do anything about something that happens entirely within the borders of a single state. (And yes, they pervert things by arguing that if the raw materials moved in interstate commerce ....)

3 - Seriously, how is this argument of yours going? Has it actually acomplished anything? If so please share the news. (And remember that any answer you provide will be causing electrons to move in interstate commerce, so watch out for congressional interference.)

stay safe.

What does this have to do with the OP

Firearms Iinstuctor

It took a change in state law in Wis. to get a lot of departments to recognize the LEOSA most of them were dragging their feet when it came to letting retired LEOs qualify. Now they have to authorize it, they just can not deny them by inaction.

I carry both LEOSA card and my states CCW it would be cheaper just to have the CCW.

It costs me about 60 dollars each year to keep my LEOSA cert, ammo, gas, 15.00 card fee and about 4 hrs of time.

Just do a google search on HR218 the state your interested in and one well find out a lot of information.

Primus

It took a change in state law in Wis. to get a lot of departments to recognize the LEOSA most of them were dragging their feet when it came to letting retired LEOs qualify. Now they have to authorize it, they just can not deny them by inaction.

I carry both LEOSA card and my states CCW it would be cheaper just to have the CCW.

It costs me about 60 dollars each year to keep my LEOSA cert, ammo, gas, 15.00 card fee and about 4 hrs of time.

Just do a google search on HR218 the state your interested in and one well find out a lot of information.

Thank you FI I appreciate the heads up. I'd be looking to use it when I go to Utah for their concealed carry permit instructor.

solus

can you provide a cite for your statement?

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What does this have to do with the OP

Has nothing to do with the OP. That's why I quoted Nightmare's comment, which not only has nothing to do with the OP but (comment self-moderated to avoid further thread drift to discuss Nightmare's veering into political swamps).

We occassionally engage in back-and-forth about the quality of someone's post. It's just how things are done.

stay safe.

Firearms Iinstuctor

can you provide a cite for your statement?

ipse

It depends a lot on the individual department mine requires 46 rounds day light only from 3 to 25 yards pistol and revolver if you want to carry both.

Some departments try and make it very hard and expensive for their retirees to get their cards each state and each department can and could have different standards.

Unless codify in state law they can vary greatly.

As stated before just do a Google search for HR218 and what state your interested in and you can find out a lot. Looks like NC leaves a lot of to the individual departments.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I certify cops for LEOSA in NV. They have to come to me (or one of us) every year for a live-fire qualification. And it does not exempt them from the background check if they buy a gun.

Many who qualify for LEOSA will also get the state's CCW permit, or just get it instead, because of the 5-year renewal and background check exemption.

Last edited:

solus

thanks gentlemen for your responses as i am sure they are correct for your individual spheres of expertise, but since chief specifically stated this is how it was in NC, i was particularly looking for a cite for that state's data component.

again thanks...

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
thanks gentlemen for your responses as i am sure they are correct for your individual spheres of expertise, but since chief specifically stated this is how it was in NC, i was particularly looking for a cite for that state's data component.

again thanks...

ipse

Then you will continue to be disappointed. The "standard" for qualification in order to comply with LEOSA's requirement is set by each department - there is no state standard and no federal standard. There is also no compulsion for a department to make its facilities and personnel available for retired cops to complete the qualification requirement. Likewise, there is no compulsion for a department to accept certification that the applicant has met the shooting qualification requirement under the observation of anybody who is not the department's designated trainer/range officer/scorer/examiner. Likewise, if the department's designated trainer/range officer/scorer/examiner is allowed to also work outside the department as a trainer (say for state CCW qualification requirements) there is no compulsion for the department to accept their "certification" as a non-departmental employee.

LEOSA provides the opportunity. Each department decides if and how they will provide the retired cop with the means of accessing that opportunity. In other words, while a chief is pretty much obliged to accept that his Only Ones are "good to go" there is nothing that makes him have to agree that those skills and abilities remain once the cop retires.

stay safe.