• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Henricos finest

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedevilrobyjohn

Two stories to show dislike for open carry by Henricos finest. Several months ago I was on my way to work at 6 am. Im sitting at a light and as I drive through the light my car begins to run out of gas. I clear the intersection fine and in 100 yds is a gas station. I drift into the gas station to a pump and step out just as a cop car pulls up on me and throws its lights on. I turn to them as they are exiting their vehicle and say, What? They say put hands on car so I do. I had a tiny .22 openly carried half in and half out of my pocket in a clipped holster. He takes the pistol out of my pocket and the other cop puts in down his belt. This cop asks for a concealed permit. I say it isnt concealed and he says thats debateable because it is so small....well he saw it with common observation. He asks for id and a permit. I tell him its on the seat beside the 1911. he asks for registration and I tell him its in the glove box beside the glock. I say why are you harassing me anyways? They said they were performinga suspected dui stop because I was driving so slow. I said at 6 am? I just ran out of gas, Ive committed no crime...Im at a gas pump,no Sherlock Holmes needed. Im told to calm down and watch my mouth. He then says " my god are you going to war?". I said if need be. He then chastised me for having so many firearms readily available to be stolen and returned my .22 informing me that many dui s are committed in the am.

My mother was at the Brook walmart monday suffering what we thought was a heart attack. The ambulance arrived and Im calling her medical team at VCU and trying to relay all current medical conditions to the medics and trying to calm my children as well as handle the situation and comfort mom who was not able to be comforted because it turned out to be pulmonary embolisms causing extreme pain while fighting for breath. I felt one of Henricos finest watching me. He finally comes over and asks if I was law enforcement, I said no. He finds it appropriate to tell me in the middle of our worst fears that I cannot take my weapon into the hospital. Well gee thanks mr officer I sure hope that when one of your family members is suffering a life threatening event that someone with no compassion decides to inform you of some crap that is out of place and doesnt pertain to the situation. Mcv isnt any of his concern at all. It just bothered him to see an armed citizen so he had to open his mouth.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
--edited by Moderator--

I'm so tired of this police state. It's everything we ALL hate about government.....................

You said it.

I was not raised to be anti-cop. I remember being like any normal American kid, who wanted to be a firefighter, an astronaut, or a cop.

But this placing of the law on an altar above basic right and wrong; this view that law enforcement is somehow at war with the bill of rights; these excessively-numerous, militarized, hyper-aggressive police…

It isn't American. And it needs to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gentlemen, I respect thedevilrobyjohn's method of posting the incidents. It is the comments from the officers that would indicate their personal opinions and harrassment of a legal armed individual not consistant with either the law or its intent. IMO Henrico has had some problems with this.

Nevertheless that is no reason/excuse to escalate the replies here beyond the scope the OP has presented.

I [strike]half[/strike] somewhat understand the stop at the gas station, but it could have, should have ended quickly with a "Thank you, sir - you might want to watch your gas guage a bit more closely - sorry to have troubled you - have a nice day."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Gentlemen, I respect thedevilrobyjohn's method of posting the incidents. It is the comments from the officers that would indicate their personal opinions and harrassment of a legal armed individual not consistant with either the law or its intent. IMO Henrico has had some problems with this.

Nevertheless that is no reason/excuse to escalate the replies here beyond the scope the OP has presented.

I [strike]half[/strike] somewhat understand the stop at the gas station, but it could have, should have ended quickly with a "Thank you, sir - you might want to watch your gas guage a bit more closely - sorry to have troubled you - have a nice day."

Sorry Grape:uhoh:

Anyway...I think I'll upload Henrico's presentation of what their policy is and how we are to be treated.
That gives some basis to compare the Officers that are not complying with the official word.

Repeater

You said it.

I was not raised to be anti-cop. I remember being like any normal American kid, who wanted to be a firefighter, an astronaut, or a cop.

But this placing of the law on an altar above basic right and wrong; this view that law enforcement is somehow at war with the bill of rights; these excessively-numerous, militarized, hyper-aggressive police…

It isn't American. And it needs to stop.

This Police-State mentality has been building for a long time. I am not surprised by the first-hand testimony of the OP.

Consider John Whitehead's warning here:

Who’s to Blame for Battlefield America? Is It Militarized Police or the Militarized Culture?

Drones, Tanks, and Grenade Launchers: Coming Soon to a Police Department Near You

Whitehead saw the rise of the American Police-State and wrote a book about it:

A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State

So, too, has Radley Balko:

Rise of the Warrior Cop

We the people -- all of us -- deserve better than this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry Grape:uhoh:

Anyway...I think I'll upload Henrico's presentation of what their policy is and how we are to be treated.
That gives some basis to compare the Officers that are not complying with the official word.

Your reply was not off base Peter. I see Henrico PD upper management as being too soft on respect to the citizenry. That is correctable.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What would you prescribe as a "best-practice" approach? That is, do no harm, but help improve the situation?
Polite and courteous words and demeanor to the degree the situation allows would be an excellent start.

Don't presume guilt of some crime until the facts are known - give benefit of the doubt when and where possible and leave personal prejudices out of the mix.

You want me to listen to you, give me the same respect.

Officer Friendly doesn't have to be only a historical reference.

Repeater

Polite and courteous words and demeanor to the degree the situation allows would be an excellent start.

Don't presume guilt of some crime until the facts are known - give benefit of the doubt when and where possible and leave personal prejudices out of the mix.

You want me to listen to you, give me the same respect.

Officer Friendly doesn't have to be only a historical reference.

Sounds good.

We need more Officer Friendlys and Sargeant Fridays.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The thread lock should not be considered a reflection on the OP.

Others seem determined to introduce lethal force discussion into a thread devoid of such consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.