• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawyer Recommendations

hvtopiwala

hey guys, i was involved with an incident about 2 weeks ago where i was charged with a 2nd degree felony for shooting at/in an occupied dwelling. i dont want to post all the detail publically, but the shooting into a dwelling was shooting at the ceiling to signal to the FD that i was inside and injured and unable to move. i currently have a criminal defense attorney (jeff quisenberry) but want to get as much legal help as possible. never had any prior encounters with the law or anything. money is not a problem, just want to have the best team possible to help me get out of this situation.

btw, this was in Tampa, FL

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Unusual situation - will be looking for more detail when and if your attorney authorizes the release of it.

Fuller Malarkey

hey guys, i was involved with an incident about 2 weeks ago where i was charged with a 2nd degree felony for shooting at/in an occupied dwelling. i dont want to post all the detail publically, but the shooting into a dwelling was shooting at the ceiling to signal to the FD that i was inside and injured and unable to move. i currently have a criminal defense attorney (jeff quisenberry) but want to get as much legal help as possible. never had any prior encounters with the law or anything. money is not a problem, just want to have the best team possible to help me get out of this situation.

Can't help with the attorney thing. I will make a suggestion.....

The next time you get the urge to fire a weapon while in the house, pass on it. It isn't working well for you.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...reak-a-lease&p=1611101&viewfull=1#post1611101

self preservation

I'm not criticizing because obviously I was not there and do not know the details, but you say that you fired into the ceiling to get the attention of the Fire Department? Being a Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician myself I can tell you that this is not the best way to get us to "come to you faster." In fact, had I been one of the emergency responders that day and heard unexplained gunfire, I would have gotten my happy azz back in the fire engine or ambulance and drove a few blocks away until LE could determine what was going on and that the scene was secure. So such actions may actually slow down the time in which help gets to you.

I assume you called 911 and responding units already knew your location, so why the need to "sound off" to give them your location? You state that the dwelling was occupied. Was anyone in the house with you that could have flagged help in? (don't answer these question on here until you know more about what legal issues you may be facing) I hope that the dwelling didn't have an upstairs with people above you. God forbid a wayward bullet find an unintended target. Once again, you know more about the details than me, but you may have made a foolish choice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually with both of the incidents reported by the OP, there would be reports filed - one regarding the break-in and the present one. It would be a simple enough matter to offer redacted copies of each for consideration.

77zach

You know grapeshot, we are so screwed as a nation. I guess the logic of a mild and well deserved rule violation being censored is founded in the hope they'll eat you last? If I live as long as you, I think I'm going to see some dark days for all of our rights, at least if we don't collectively wake up to what's going on and tell it like it is.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While not the best maneuver, for the reasons noted, you have a fair "exigency of the circumstances" defense. If your attorney does not propose it from the beginning, tell him to look it up in case law.

Most of the time it will require pleading guilty with extenuating circumstances. Much like excused/justified homicide.

When things are approved, let us know how it turns out.

stay save.

hvtopiwala

I'm not criticizing because obviously I was not there and do not know the details, but you say that you fired into the ceiling to get the attention of the Fire Department? Being a Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician myself I can tell you that this is not the best way to get us to "come to you faster." In fact, had I been one of the emergency responders that day and heard unexplained gunfire, I would have gotten my happy azz back in the fire engine or ambulance and drove a few blocks away until LE could determine what was going on and that the scene was secure. So such actions may actually slow down the time in which help gets to you.

I assume you called 911 and responding units already knew your location, so why the need to "sound off" to give them your location? You state that the dwelling was occupied. Was anyone in the house with you that could have flagged help in? (don't answer these question on here until you know more about what legal issues you may be facing) I hope that the dwelling didn't have an upstairs with people above you. God forbid a wayward bullet find an unintended target. Once again, you know more about the details than me, but you may have made a foolish choice.

having spoke to Rich and my attorney, i will be withholding certain information until the case is over, but it is being handled currently.

self preservation

having spoke to Rich and my attorney, i will be withholding certain information until the case is over, but it is being handled currently.

Don't blame you. I am going to assume that you had no other way to summon for help other than to make noise. If I had fallen in the floor and injured myself to the point that I truly felt that I would die if help didn't arrive soon, I would have probably also done whatever means necessary to live. If you're 25 years old and only twisted your ankle this may not fly. But if you're 70 years old and broke a hip you may have a better chance of beating this. May I suggest that you look into a "life alert" system for the future? I know several companies such as ADT and Brinks offer this. If you are not familiar with what I am talking about, a "life alert" system is just a necklace with a button on it that you can push to call for help when you are unable to make it to a phone.

hvtopiwala

Don't blame you. I am going to assume that you had no other way to summon for help other than to make noise. If I had fallen in the floor and injured myself to the point that I truly felt that I would die if help didn't arrive soon, I would have probably also done whatever means necessary to live. If you're 25 years old and only twisted your ankle this may not fly. But if you're 70 years old and broke a hip you may have a better chance of beating this. May I suggest that you look into a "life alert" system for the future? I know several companies such as ADT and Brinks offer this. If you are not familiar with what I am talking about, a "life alert" system is just a necklace with a button on it that you can push to call for help when you are unable to make it to a phone.

yup! i actually just signed up for a life alert style system. age isnt the factor here, its the medical factor here that caused this whole incident. ill explain later once everything is all done and wrapped up.

Maverick9

Think that is a stretch - from what we know, that was not his intent.

Forgive my obvious distress. Here's what I meant, and not that it was his -fault-.

Guy shoots off a clearly intended 'distress signal', no other recourse.

LE arrives and he tells them he fired his gun on purpose into the ceiling to alert them.

Sadly, for him, he should have said "IDK what happened maybe the fire?" or just STHU, and let the lawyer explain it.

If you have to do that, make it clear if it happened it was accidental (to your Lawyer) and say nothing to the cops except, "i'm hurt I need a doctor, I'll give my lawyer the job of talking to you. Have a good day'.

FWIW.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Forgive my obvious distress. Here's what I meant, and not that it was his -fault-.

Guy shoots off a clearly intended 'distress signal', no other recourse.

LE arrives and he tells them he fired his gun on purpose into the ceiling to alert them.

Sadly, for him, he should have said "IDK what happened maybe the fire?" or just STHU, and let the lawyer explain it.

If you have to do that, make it clear if it happened it was accidental (to your Lawyer) and say nothing to the cops except, "i'm hurt I need a doctor, I'll give my lawyer the job of talking to you. Have a good day'.

FWIW.
Ah so - now I unnerstan.

Agree that flappin' the lips will cause more trouble than it avoids.

GIdeon_70

I don't know of any lawyers that can help you down there, I do know one in Daytona Beach who is awesome. However, ignore the negativity on here, as I think some of the people here are anti-gunners who hang out to attack anyone who posts. You have my support, and blessings in your upcoming trial.

Maverick9

This gentleman, the lady in the garage who went back in to the scene and shot at her husband, into a wall adjacent to where kids were did the same thing. She TOLD the officers that she essentially committed a crime.

What is LE supposed to do when you 'confess' to the elements of a crime? They are not there to pat you and say 'there, there, we understand'. They really don't have any options.

So if you SHUT UP, say "I'm hurt, need an ambulance" and "call my lawyer", and just keep repeating that (because you WILL be badgered), you can usually get 'Justice'.

Justice and the verdict are rarely the same. Just like a 'good' shoot, can potentially be 'homicide', circumstances, SD, mitigates it. I think it's called an affirmative defense.