• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shooting on south side of des moines

davidmcbeth

Banned
I guess no one was at home in those houses who had a rifle on his own and/or was willing to use it.

20 minutes and only 100 rounds shot off by the looney? Not 12,000 rounds (600 rds/min for a true assault rifle)?

I doubt that this incident will do nothing but underscore the fact that a citizen cannot depend on the cops or the guberment for their own personal safety.

Cops are just civilians ...

look at the new information about Newton shooting ... cops sat outside for 6 minutes while knowing that a shooter is inside a building full of kids with gunfire known to have occurred. If it were on a military base and MPs arrived on a similar scene, I would expect that they would have been ordered to enter the building immediately...and they would have. The cop is worried about going home and the soldier is more concerned with following orders. Its a lesson people still have not learned obviously.

The statement by the Chief is balderdash of course ... it was not an assault weapon to begin with...the cops were not "outgunned" as evidenced by the outcome..

The guy, Vogel, was at his residence ... so he was not out roaming about ... more info is really needed.

Last edited:

lucas340

crazy

this story just keeps getting worse, now they are spreading that one of the shooters rounds went into a house a mile away. network news is getting crazy. just what the gun grabbers need. and its seems that the NRA is just sitting by and letting things happen here in Iowa.

RugarRev

I question the validity of a round hitting a house a mile away from this shooter. Not saying a round will not travel that distance, it certainly will. Just thinking...this is the South Side of the city, could very well have been from caused by a completely different shooter. Gun fire is not uncommon on this side of town i know, i live there. Ballistics may prove it to be true however.

lucas340

a round could travel a mile but in a city environment? we have trees cars and other houses... think that this is a separate incident