• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO weapons

flhrci

So, I am curious. What are the more popular models and manufacturers that many Law Enforcement organizations frequently purchase?

David

Jordan6679

I carry a S&W model 686. It is a Leo gun.
ymehu6uq.jpg

Firearms Iinstuctor

Well when I started on the job S@W and Colt revolvers were the top choice Rugers security six had a small LEO following.

S@W by far leading the pack.

Now I believe Glock has about 80 percent of the LEO market with the rest mixed in.

Primus

That's about right we run 23s. I do know our staties run I believe the m&p 45. There may be some revolvers as back up guns but pretty certain they are all gone in this state for issue.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Kopis

most departments ive seen are carrying .40 cal weapons. Lots of glocks and a few sigs. Glock is probably the most economical choice for a department in that they are cheap, durable, require little training and last a long time.

dominic22

To my knowledge, Columbus Division of Police regular patrol officers are equipped with Smith & Wesson M&P .40 caliber.

As for other departments, I am not sure which handguns they use.

Aknazer

When I was still in the OKC area I came across multiple that were using the XD40. Had one inquire about if he would be able to use his XD mags in an XDm if he upgraded (he saw me carrying my XDm40).

Red Dawg

Depends on if they are carrying their issue weapon, or their own "I bought it"...Some LE guys I've seen still are allowed to carry their personal revolvers...Omaha Airport PD in particular...I have spent a good bit of time sitting around the airport so chat up the "gun people" I see...And Not scientific, but just by sight, about 30-40 percent are carrying S&W 357s.