Thread: OT: Petition to allow private citizens to own suppressors.

OT: Petition to allow private citizens to own suppressors.

I was doing some searching over the last few days and I have realized Iowa, along with three other states, do not allow the private ownership kf suppressors. I have created a change.org petition to try and get it changed. Please click the link and sign the petition if you are interested.

https://www.change.org/petitions/sta...-724-1-8#share

I thank you for your time!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    I was doing some searching over the last few days and I have realized Iowa, along with three other states, do not allow the private ownership kf suppressors. I have created a change.org petition to try and get it changed. Please click the link and sign the petition if you are interested.

https://www.change.org/petitions/sta...-724-1-8#share

I thank you for your time!

1) This is a website established by the Obama administration which doesn't care about your right to own firearms, much less evil NFA items.

2) You are asking the Federal government to suppress states' rights and get involved in making and/or overturning state law? Seems like the wrong avenue to take. The Federal government allows states to have stricter laws than the feds when those laws concern NFA items. You need to fight in the state to get them to overturn its ban on certain NFA items.

3) You could fight the ban in the Federal courts, but I don't see that going very well -- our courts no longer recognize the Constitution. This is quite different than asking the President to change a state law of course, and is really the only other option other than what was mentioned above.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

When are people going to learn that signing a petition is the second least effective way of getting anything to happen? (The least effective is doing nothing but wishing & hoping.) Basically signing a petition says "Yeah, I agree with/support what this says but have no interest or intention of doing anything else to help make it happen."

Write, email, call, visit your elected representative. Make an appointment to meet with them to discuss the issue. Have your facts ready (notes are great - especially if you have them printed out and somewhat organized so you can give them a copy). Read the laws of your state to get an idea of how they are worded and come with a draft of the law you would like to see passed that will do what you want done - i this case my guess is repealing Section __ of statute __.

If you have a gun rights organization in your state, contact them and discuss what you want and ask what they are currently doing to make it happen or why they are not doing anything about it. Offer your draft legislation to them so they can present it to some supportive legislator to have it introduced.

Then you can start writing letters to the editor supporting the idea. And remember, you do not need to convince those who are already on your side and your chances of changing the minds of those against you is very small. You want to convince the 1% - 3% who are undecided.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

@Tucker

Do what Skid said and this should be an "easy" sell, relatively speaking. Use the hunting angle, there are a lot of FUD's out there. Also, you merely want the bill to bring your state "in line with federal law" on the matter. You're not legalizing suppressors, you're making regulations consistent with federal law. Sounds better when trying to melt resistance.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    @Tucker

Do what Skid said and this should be an "easy" sell, relatively speaking. Use the hunting angle, there are a lot of FUD's out there. Also, you merely want the bill to bring your state "in line with federal law" on the matter. You're not legalizing suppressors, you're making regulations consistent with federal law. Sounds better when trying to melt resistance.
    should be a walk in the park, we got suppressors legalized in Washington a few years and we're a far more liberal state then Iowa....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I have started working on those angles as well. And plan on following up with all of them. I am trying to play all hands. Kind of a hit it from all angles sort of thing.

Glokster: I think you may be confusing change.org with the white house petition site. Change.org was started in 2007, by a private citizen. I have used change several times with positive results.

The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.