Thread: AW&ST RQ-180 Out of the Black 6 Dec 2013

AW&ST RQ-180 Out of the Black 6 Dec 2013

"Computational fluid dynamics permit new stealth aircraft to achieve “sailplane-like” efficiency, industry officials say. The management of complex three-dimensional airflow is the key to achieving laminar flow over much of the wing and designing stealth-compatible exhaust and inlet systems that are lighter and more efficient than those on the B-2. [ ... ] The pursuit of laminar flow and efficiency likely drove the development of new structural and manufacturing technologies. Scaled Composites, which Northrop Grumman acquired in 2007, is a world leader in building large composite airframes “outside-in” in female molds, resulting in a consistent and fastener-free surface."

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article...._p0-643783.xml

http://www.aviationweek.com/media/im...Q-180Cover.jpg
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Science marches on.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Science marches on.
    I would say that technology marches on. Science is susceptible to falsification, while technology is not. There is no fundamental scientific breakthrough here, merely computer aided application of physics.

((For my few followers, I'm on-line with a borrowed computer while shopping for a new one - linux, tower, entertainment, capable of home networking a half-dozen devices. We'll see.))
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.