• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another example of actually not committing a crime but being charged anyway?

OC for ME

I certainly hope the boys are only held to account for the violation they committed, drinking underage, the passenger thing, that nanny-state 11PM to 5AM law, and not the extemporaneous charge of reckless endangerment. The attorney in the linked article seems to have called it right. A good attorney is needed to keep the state off those kid's back. It seems that the charge of reckless endangerment could be dismissed before a jury trial by a judge. I certainly hope cooler heads prevail and nix the misapplied reckless endangerment charge.

77zach

Reckless endangerment is if I hand a 5 year old my loaded pistol. It's if I give a 6 year old the keys to my care and say: "have fun". This girl injected herself into an irresponsible situation and was a willing participant in the revelry. The boys were not her custodian, and they will suffer for their irresponsible behavior grievously in other ways. Case dismissed with prejudice.

Primus

Reckless endangerment is if I hand a 5 year old my loaded pistol. It's if I give a 6 year old the keys to my care and say: "have fun". This girl injected herself into an irresponsible situation and was a willing participant in the revelry. The boys were not her custodian, and they will suffer for their irresponsible behavior grievously in other ways. Case dismissed with prejudice.

This is why we have a jury system. Its up to then to determine if it fully meets the law. There is clearly PC to charge and indict but we'll all see if there's enough to fully convict.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

countryclubjoe

The boys clearly were not willfully AWARE (see the states first element to prove Reckless Endangerment) of their actions, therefore the reckless endangerment charge will be dropped, the boys will surrender their driving privileges for 2 years and probably be on probation, and the parents of the boys will be facing civil litigation.

MADD will be all over this case. How did they acquire the alcohol? etc.

My .02

Best regards

CCJ

eye95

Nah. They weren't willfully aware. They had no idea that by handing the keys to a car to this girl, one she did not own, when she was undeniably plastered, that they were creating a huge hazard to her and to the public. Nah, no willful awareness there. :rolleyes:

Oh, and again, being drunk does not eliminate the willfulness. Otherwise, there would never, ever be a drunk driving charge. "Officer, I was to drunk to be aware that I was drunk."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

countryclubjoe

They were not consciously aware of their actions. They did not willfully go out and give the girl alcohol until she was .24 then give her the keys to a deadly weapon and then go high five one another because of the sure accident that was probably going to occur, These were young man under the influence of alcohol themselves who probably had no idea who was sober and who was drunk. It is simply a horrible accident and they will lose their driving privileges and be on probation, and their parents will be facing civil litigation.

Moving On.

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
Who hasn't been out drinking with a buddy ... at some point, you are too wasted to drive. You ask your friend if he can drive ... he says yes. And you just watched him chug down some brewskies. You hand him your keys and off you both go.

If this is reckless endangerment, then I think that a majority of the population has been guilty.

And who has not lent out his car or truck to someone .. we have a duty now to check and make sure that the borrower is not legally drunk?

The act of drinking and driving has been blown way out of proportion ... and the law shows this. If your are 0.08 BAC and a heavy drinker, you are likely fine to drive. If your BAC is 0.30, no one should be driving. But the penalties are the same in both situations. And the BAC level has been a moving target.

http://www.timpowers.com/bac_calculator.php
^^^ is a calculator for your BAC ... in 2 hrs drinking 5 beers for a 180 lb guy makes you over the limit. I know a lot of people who can drink a six pack in 2 hrs and be fine. Ans a 100 lb lady cannot drink 2 drinks in an hour and not risk a DUI. So I don't think that BAC is very useful. I would like to see a test that is not subjective; otherwise, I would be hard pressed to find someone guilty of a DUI.

I think that the laws are written as they are just as a money making venture for the state. Like speeding tickets.

OC for ME

I wonder if the dead girl is being excused of her willful act due to her being plastered. I certainly hope that a jury, if it gets that far, lets those boys off on the reckless endangerment charge.

eye95

They were not consciously aware of their actions. They did not willfully go out and give the girl alcohol until she was .24 then give her the keys to a deadly weapon and then go high five one another because of the sure accident that was probably going to occur, These were young man under the influence of alcohol themselves who probably had no idea who was sober and who was drunk. It is simply a horrible accident and they will lose their driving privileges and be on probation, and their parents will be facing civil litigation.

Moving On.

CCJ

Getting her drunk was not part of the willful act. Handing her the keys was. They did so with the full knowledge that she was going to put her drunk ass behind the wheel, start the car, and drive while impaired to the point that a crash was all but inevitable, but at least foreseeable! They are indeed guilty of the crime charged.

The act of handing her the keys as willful. No one held a gun to their heads. They didn't "accidentally" hand her the keys. A decision was made to give her the keys. That would be all that is required to establish "willful" in plain language.

eye95

Who hasn't? Me, for one. I have never handed car keys to someone who has been drinking enough to even raise the question of their suitability to drive.

This is the second time in two days that someone has tried to project their behavioral choices on everyone else.

No. Not everyone does that. I know it makes some feel better to project in this way, but they are wrong.

eye95

I wonder if the dead girl is being excused of her willful act due to her being plastered. I certainly hope that a jury, if it gets that far, lets those boys off on the reckless endangerment charge.

Oh, she is quite guilty. That does not mean the boys are not. The judgments are not mutually exclusive.

I am still predicting a plea deal. However, if the boys are stupid enough to go to trial, at the very least, the one who physically put the keys to a car not belonging to this girl in her hands will be found guilty. Based on the information we have, that is how I'd vote.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Who hasn't? Me, for one. I have never handed car keys to someone who has been drinking enough to even raise the question of their suitability to drive.

This is the second time in two days that someone has tried to project their behavioral choices on everyone else.

No. Not everyone does that. I know it makes some feel better to project in this way, but they are wrong.

I quantified it to "majority of people" ... some people don't or never had a drink at all ... fuddy-duddies lol

OC for ME

She can never be found guilty. I think that there are not enough charges, but the reckless endangerment charge is going too far. Giving her the keys is not the same as she starting the car and she driving off to her death. She could have very well just passed out in the car sitting right there in the drive way with the keys in her hand.

The trial will be interesting, if it gets that far. You are right, the smart money should be on a plea deal.....and their attorney better get a good one.

sudden valley gunner

She can never be found guilty. I think that there are not enough charges, but the reckless endangerment charge is going too far. Giving her the keys is not the same as she starting the car and she driving off to her death. She could have very well just passed out in the car sitting right there in the drive way with the keys in her hand.

The trial will be interesting, if it gets that far. You are right, the smart money should be on a plea deal.....and their attorney better get a good one.

And if cops came by she not the boys would have been arrested for being drunk underage and in a car.

eye95

Who hasn't been out drinking with a buddy ... at some point, you are too wasted to drive. You ask your friend if he can drive ... he says yes. And you just watched him chug down some brewskies. You hand him your keys and off you both go...

I quantified it to "majority of people" ... some people don't or never had a drink at all ... fuddy-duddies lol

The part I bolded is a lie. See the projection in the quote above it. No quantification at all.

Moving on.

OC for ME

And if cops came by she not the boys would have been arrested for being drunk underage and in a car.
And if the cops didn't she would've woke up at some point and have a hangover to drive under the influence of, yet she would still be the one that decided to drive and not those boys. I've made my point and I am becoming tedious. I shall wait for the next chapter in this tragedy to be disseminated.

sudden valley gunner

And if the cops didn't she would've woke up at some point and have a hangover to drive under the influence of, yet she would still be the one that decided to drive and not those boys. I've made my point and I am becoming tedious. I shall wait for the next chapter in this tragedy to be disseminated.

Agreed, my point was that if they came across her doing the crime while alive, only her would have done the time, the others wouldn't have been charged.

77zach

Agreed, my point was that if they came across her doing the crime while alive, only her would have done the time, the others wouldn't have been charged.

Great point. Thanks for noticing it.

I'll make another kind of sad point. The girl was attractive from a middle class family. If she were ugly, it's unlikely this would have made the news. You see this a lot with kidnapping cases, etc.

Last edited:

PALO

I read the first two posts and thought - wow, what a miscarriage of justice!!

Generally speaking, the laypublic have NO duty to render aid to an individual (unless a special relationship is attached) ,let alone to stop them from drunk driving

Heck, in most states a layperson (iow not a EMT etc.) has no duty if they come upon a man on the sidewalk bleeding out and asking for help EVEN TO CALL 911. They can simply ignore him, walk on, and there is no crime whatseover they can be charged with, Seinfled notwithstanding (in states that have misprision of a felony statutes, this MAY not be true, but it's true in every jurisdiction I've worked).

So people start whinging about this case being about persons charged with a crime without committing one.

The fact pattern presented in the article is sparse, and of course they offer no link to the ACTUAL CHARGING SHEET so I could review a source document vs. a media article (remember, article often get facts, even critical facts wrong, or leave out salient details. This is very true in case of legal issues coverage by lay media especially. If I want details and facts, I go to volokh or scotus blog or source documents, not "the blaze"

However, the fact pattern in the article is not consistent with what people are wanking about.

It's not about MERELY not stopping a person from drunk driving. An average person is under no duty to do so. although I've seen it happen in many cases in the field (I even had a case where a woman shot at her bf's car after he drove after when she said not to because he was drunk.. lol)

i had case where a person called wanting to report an :"assault" by another , that the person grabbed him, forced him to the ground, and took his car keys.

He had scrapes.

And most ignorati here would claim if you were the suspect in such an allegation, not to talk to the police

The guy did talk to us (the suspect) and he explained that the person appeared impaired by liquor and was about to drive off, that the suspect advised him not to do so, and when the "victim" refused and started towards his car, THAT is where the 'suspect" took action

BASED on his statements, the suspect was of course NOT charged, but basically given an attaboy for good citizenship and we told the guy if he got into his car (in the driver seat) with keys, we would arrest him

Man, was he pissed off Doing the right thing often pisses people off.

We couldn;'t tow his car because it was on private property and we had no jurisdiction to do so based on the fact he had not *yet* committed a crime with it. Instead, we found a responsible person who promised to hold on to his keys until tomorrow, and we offered the guy a ride home.

I should have offered him a scooby doo bandage for his ouchie, because he was such a crybaby and actually wanted a person arrested for stopping him from committing a crime and endangering hte public
That's not the fact pattern in this case, at least as reported by the blaze.

The allegation is that the two charged with reckless endangerment, FACILITATED her crime. They presumably (to be proved in court) knew she was jacked etc. AND they drove around with ehr as a passenger (not a crime), THEN left the car with her in it , presumably knowing she was then going to drive home. That's entirely different. I haven't read the reckless endangerment statute in that state , but what they did was NOT merely letting her drive drunk. That's a total misrepresentation. If she had been at a party and she said "i'm going to drive home" and she walked off, they would not have been charged and THAT would be an outrage if they were, since they had no legal burden to stop her.

In THIS case, not only did they know she was drunk (presumably) but they FACILITATED her to commit the crime by leaving her in the car. THe driver was in the car, in control of the car and he essentially turned control of the vehicle over to her.

Again, totally different set of facts.

I am not saying the charges are warranted, because I don't know enough facts, nor do I know the penal code in the state they were charged.

I DO know that given THAT fact pattern, that that is qualitatively different than merely allowing a drunk to drive off.

Show me a case where some doods were charged merely for knowing person X, a drunk. was about to drive and didn't stop her. Show me one.

THAT is not what happened here. The above happens all the frigging time and nobody is ever charged. I;ve seen scores of cases, up to an including fatality collisions where investigation revealed people knew the person was wasted off their gourd and knew she was about to drive away and did nothing to stop her. No charge

This case is demonstrably different. Try reading it again

As for the snarky comment about cops having no responsiblity to protect, but the teens do, it's again an ignorant misinterpretation of the scotus case. There are TONS of cases where cops knew a driver was impaired and let them drive off, the person gets in an accident and they get hammered.

I remembered (don;'t ask me how) Irwin v. Ware from way back to when I went to police academy in MA over 2 decades ago

http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/392/392mass745.html

In most jurisdictions, a cop is under no legal obligation to arrest and charge a person he believes to be dui. Some dept's may require it, considering it dereliction of duty not to do so, etc. but at least as far as the law is concerned, that is not automatically actionable.

However, that is different from knowing a person is impaired and LETTING them drive off, as in Ware. A police officer, UNLIKE a private citizen has an affirmative duty to stop a person he believes is driving drunk and to remove them from access to the vehicle they were driving (for example, by impound)

It's simply amazing and typical how many people here constantly trot out that scotus case w/o understanding it, or the affirmative duties an officer DOES have to follow.

IRWIN V WARE is the tip of the iceberg. Tons of similar cases, in states all over the union. Cops do NOT have the discretion to let a driver who they believe to be drunk, to drive off and continue drunk driving.

A layperson does NOT have th duty to stop a person in the act of drunk driving, or about to drunk drive, UNLIKE a cop

But that;'s not the issue in this case. The issue in this case was the person's FACILITATED the drunk to drive away by turning over control of a vehicle to her

Entirely different than what (most) people are wanking about.

Cops have a higher duty. A cop cannot legally allow a person they believe to be impaired, to drive off, and CERTAINLY not after they conduct a traffic stop and discover the driver was impaired.

A layperson does NOT have that duty. And certainly cops would also be liable for RE charges if they FACILITATED (as the juves allegedly did) a person to drive off drunk, like if they found the person's car keys in a parking lot, approachedd the person, recognized he was impaired and THEN turned over the keys. That would be analogous to what the two juves did here.

Imo, both under the law and under basic decency and morality, what these kids did was atrocious and assuming the fact pattern is accurate and the statute written appropriately, charges are warranted (as is civil liability)

In the case of the two juves here, there is a specific ACT they performed, that triggers legal liability.

Again, they would have no legal duty to stop a drunk driver walking towards their car, about to drive off, for example.

in a case like that, there would be no actus reus, no "bad act" to prosecute on their part

In THIS case, there IS an actus reus - turning control of the vehicle over TO the intoxicated person.

I agree with the people here who see this as an actionable bad act

Last edited: