• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Back pocket open carry

independence

Saw a funny one yesterday.... This guy was in front of me in line at a store OCing with the gun in an IWB holster clipped to the inside of his back pocket of his jeans. Sort of after-thought-open-carry, LOL.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My guess is that his pants were too tight for IWB carry and he did not have/did not bother to switch to an OWB holster.

As noted, not a very secure method of carry - and we've all seen evewn less safe methods. However, the gun you have is better than the gun you don't have.

stay safe.

Kopis

ummm yeah, im not sure how to politely tell him that may not be the safest way to carry a firearm. that could be easily removed.

BrianB

I'm sure this wasn't the case but, letting my imagination run wild, how awesome would it be if it was a decoy dummy gun and he was carrying the real one concealed? Surprise for the would-be gun snatching bad guy.

FreeInAZ

I'm sure this wasn't the case but, letting my imagination run wild, how awesome would it be if it was a decoy dummy gun and he was carrying the real one concealed? Surprise for the would-be gun snatching bad guy.

The whole objective of OC is to make the bad guy want to leave you alone last I checked? If you are right, this is akin to dropping your wallet on the ground & then shooting somone for trying to pick it up. Pretty sure baiting a thug would be frowned upon by a jury, but who knows?

BrianB

The whole objective of OC is to make the bad guy want to leave you alone last I checked? If you are right, this is akin to dropping your wallet on the ground & then shooting somone for trying to pick it up. Pretty sure baiting a thug would be frowned upon by a jury, but who knows?

Wasn't really intended to be serious - just idle mind-wandering. Was thinking along the lines of when the cops dress and act as intoxicated homeless to bait and catch the cretins who victimize those folks, and just like the "bait car" setups where they leave valuable merchandise in the back seat of an unlocked car and wait for someone to try to steal it.

Again, idle fantasy - nothing anybody should actually do.

FreeInAZ

@Brian - thanks for clarifying. I knew what you meant, but we have some: " sped redders her whoo,whoo mite beza gettin confuzzed ez-i-lee" if you know what I mean. ;)

Dirk platinum

saw a freakin idiot at Wal-Mart with his xdm 9mm in the back pocket no holster .I know the guy he's an idiot we worked at that same Wal-Mart together in the past.

Last edited:

FTG-05

I don't get hung up on the particular method of carry, it's like arguing over the make and model of cars, chainsaws, guns or whatever. If we start denigrating and marginalizing a fellow gun owner because he's not carrying a +$1500 gun in a +$150 holster, where do we stop?

As long as a lawful gun owner is OCing, the more, the better! :banana:

FreeInAZ

Was just re-reading this thread and realized we've got to do something about the Back Pocket Loophole!

For God's sake man! We must eliminate all pockets ASAP! The only legal way to carry items on one's person should be a large see-thru plastic bag hung from the neck across ones chest. It must be limited in capacity to no more than 7 items. Said items can be no larger than 3" x 3" and must meet all TSA guide lines! It's the only way to keep the children safe!

Sarcasms off now / ;)