• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanted to ask in my state forum.

mpguy

I had a question on something I've been told lately. I've been attempting to stock up on wheel weights for casting. A couple places I've visited, have told me they couldn't sell wheel weights due to EPA regulations. I've been googling, and really haven't found anything to verify this. Has anyone heard of this? I found it suspicious, being the first place I went, offered them with open arms. The problem is, this is the only place that thus far, will sell to me. $30 a barrel I think is a good price, considering the sizes of weight's I've gotten, and it's literally all lead. *not counting clips*.

I know it's a little off topic of General OC topics, but I wanted to ask here, as this is a Virginia Law thing. No worries if it get's moved to the Social Lounge.

Thank you for your opinions. :)

davidmcbeth

Banned
never heard of that but .... code of federal regulations, Chapter 40 is where you want to look ...

get ready though, of all the CFR chapters, this one is the largest...they are online

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I hate it when people quote laws they know nothing about.
Yes, the EPA has been phasing out lead alloy wheel weights for years. Zinc and steel are taking their place.
That's for tires though.
That doesn't have any effect on the ones that exist now. They can be sold as scrap and are bringing top dollar.

I bought a couple barrels of them a while back and everyone thought I was crazy....until the price started going through the roof.

Go to another tire dealer or a scrap metal place.

They are getting harder to find though.
You can substitute Zinc even though it's lighter and a little harder.