• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado judge orders baker to cater to gays

EMNofSeattle

Stealthy should there still be segregation? Not at schools but in businesses? Honest question.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

No, segregation is/was a government mandate, most private businesses did not want segregation in the south because they had to spend more money making two separate sections of their business.

Besides, I don't the baker refused to serve gay couples, we've had several incidences in WA and Oregon where bakers refused to make cakes for gay weddings, but were willing to serve a custom cake for a gay customer. If a gay customer came in and ordered a cake that said "happy birthday Clarence" I doubt they'd be refused service....

If a "Christian identity" movement supporter went to a black baker and asked for a cake that said something along the lines "rot in hell emmet till" or "blacks are mud people" should the baker be ordered by the government to accommodate the racists "religion" since religion is a protected class?

Honest question...

Last edited:

Primus

No, segregation is/was a government mandate, most private businesses did not want segregation in the south because they had to spend more money making two separate sections of their business.

Besides, I don't the baker refused to serve gay couples, we've had several incidences in WA and Oregon where bakers refused to make cakes for gay weddings, but were willing to serve a custom cake for a gay customer. If a gay customer came in and ordered a cake that said "happy birthday Clarence" I doubt they'd be refused service....

If a "Christian identity" movement supporter went to a black baker and asked for a cake that said something along the lines "rot in hell emmet till" or "blacks are mud people" should the baker be ordered by the government to accommodate the racists "religion" since religion is a protected class?

Honest question...

Emn good question and I'll gibe you an honest answer. I'd say no .gov should stay out of that transaction and baker can tell customer he will not serve him or put that on a cake.

Here's why. That is too narrow of an example. If baker refused all people of that religion or color and made that clear with signage verbal statement that was verifiable etc. Then yes its be a no go. What you described is one incident where the baker specifically wouldn't like what was requested. He could either refuse the order or he could refuse that customer based on that specific incident. Since that's his right.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

1245A Defender

Wowwie,,, no I mean it!,,, just wowwie...

Have you lost what little mind you seemed to have had????

Honest question...

This post is a joke... nothing honest about anything her folks,,, just move along...

not comparing apples and oranges,,, or peanuts and raisins..
more like tree bark and shell fish...

Any baker would make a cake saying happy birthday someone..
Most bakers would refuse to make a cake saying rot in hell or blacks are mud...

eye95

I kinda think that is his point. The baker is not discriminating against homosexuals. He is refusing to have any part in what he believes to be an immoral behavior: homosexual "marriage," hence his likely willingness to make a cake that says, "Happy Birthday Clarence!" for homosexual Clarence, but not willing to make one that says, "Congratulations Clarence and Robert," and has two grooms on top.

His question was a good one, and drew out the other poster's opinion well.

77zach

How about "Congratulations Clarence and Robert - You have Aids !"

Or this one:
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/i-am-gay-cake-round-1.jpg

Businesses are not natural persons ... they should not have, and do not have, the same rights as natural persons.

And refusing to serve homosexuals is not discrimination. Its violating that particular law. Discrimination is regarding a character of a person that they have no control over...like sex & color. Homosexuality is a choice or a learned behavior. Used to be cures for such people....I'm sure that parents still do seek out treatment for their children for this.

I'm turning you in for thought crime and reeducation, citizen! Yes we can!

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Wow, I am truly surprised this bit of historical truth was posted by you. Keep going in that direction Padawan stay away from the dark side of statist propaganda (government education).

Make sure the priest of church of state doesn' make you say 7 "hail muh roads" ....:p

Segregation Primus was a government mandated proposition, and it was government that cemented ethnic divides and caused so much damage to US morals and to the economy (especially of the south).

1245A Defender

Really????

I kinda think that is his point. The baker is not discriminating against homosexuals. He is refusing to have any part in what he believes to be an immoral behavior: homosexual "marriage," hence his likely willingness to make a cake that says, "Happy Birthday Clarence!" for homosexual Clarence, but not willing to make one that says, "Congratulations Clarence and Robert," and has two grooms on top.

His question was a good one, and drew out the other poster's opinion well.

Another,,, Distinction without a difference...

Like,,, I dont discriminate against blacks, I just refuse to have any part in what I believe to be non-white behavior.
(in my business of public accommodation)

Kind of like saying,,, Im not calling you a lier, Im just saying that you lied.
See,,, Its different.

BTW I cant spell lier, cant look it up, cant figure it out,
But Ill bet that eye95 will skip the meat of this post
then he will give me a spelling lesson.

EMNofSeattle

Like,,, I dont discriminate against blacks, I just refuse to have any part in what I believe to be non-white behavior.

See,,, Its different.

So the government should compel a catholic baker to make a wedding cake for a homosexual marriage?

Or maybe a catholic baker should be required to bake a cake for a woman celebrating a previous abortion?

Or a jewish baker be forced to make a cake that says happ birthday hitler?

There's bakeries everywhere. Those little punks who sued the bakery are problems to society, they used the government to force a service they weren't entitled to, instead of just going to another bakery. Bakeries are everywhere. If enough people had a problem with the Christian baker not serving the gays he would go out of business and a new baker would open up shop.......

jeffrey-r

And refusing to serve homosexuals is not discrimination. Its violating that particular law. Discrimination is regarding a character of a person that they have no control over...like sex & color. Homosexuality is a choice or a learned behavior.

Incorrect on both counts. Discrimination certainly isn't just "have no control over" or else religion wouldn't be on the list. Secondly, your opinion that homosexuality is a choice or learned behavior is HIGHLY arguable. When did you choose to be heterosexual? You didn't, you just are. (And forgetting the fact that human sexuality isn't a binary thing and is much more of a continuous scale. Yes, I'm saying everyone is a little bit gay.)

Used to be cures for such people....I'm sure that parents still do seek out treatment for their children for this.

Cures? Like abuse them so much that they deny themselves who they are and stay in the closet?

For such a pro-rights crowd, I'm wondering why the disconnect with civil rights in this case.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

This entire thread is bordering on group bashing of LGBT people, and skirting the forum rules. I've already hit the 'report' button on several posts because of the content being a hair away from blatant gay bashing. Which in case you opportunistic bashers didn't realize, is against forum rules. Unless somewhere it's posted that even a very small tiny little bit of cop bashing can bring the wrath of the mods, but a very small tiny little bit of gay bashing goes ignored and nonchalantly unpunished.

Other than that, I ain't touching any topics in this thread with a fifty foot pole.

Last edited:

eye95

See,,, Its different.

The meat is rancid, so I will give you the spelling lesson. Liar.

That you cannot understand the distinction, does not mean there is not one.

Moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

conandan

In a free society a private business can make the choice of who they want to do said business with. And a free market would decide if that business stays in business. If people get there feelings hurt that a private business does not agree with them they scream discrimination. Now the state gets involved and takes away freedom to make someone else feel better about there life..

I know some will disagree with my opinion, but who's freedom of choice is more right... If a business does not want to do business with you that's their freedom of choice. Now the person who is upset also has freedom of choice to choose another business.
I do not buy the argument that a private business must give up there rights to accommodate everyone. Using that logic a private citizen should be compelled to spend money with businesses they do not agree with. But consumers have a choice of who they wish to spend there money with.

The state has no reason to get involved in private business. If you do not agree with a businesses spend your money elsewhere. Let the market sort it out.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The state has no reason to get involved in private business. If you do not agree with a businesses spend your money elsewhere. Let the market sort it out.

But, then government wouldn't be able to pander and buy votes. What are you trying to do? Wreck democracy? :p:)

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

77zach said:
I hear judge Spence is an OCDO member who goes by "Primus".

This entire thread is bordering on group bashing of LGBT people, and skirting the forum rules. I've already hit the 'report' button on several posts because of the content being a hair away from blatant gay bashing. Which in case you opportunistic bashers didn't realize, is against forum rules. Unless somewhere it's posted that even a very small tiny little bit of cop bashing can bring the wrath of the mods, but a very small tiny little bit of gay bashing goes ignored and nonchalantly unpunished.

Other than that, I ain't touching any topics in this thread with a fifty foot pole.

I hear one of the gays who sued the bakery is an OCDO member, lets take a guess what he goes by.... :D

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I knew you were going to cry about this thread. This is about private property rights, gays are just an example to fill in a blank in the equation. If your feelings are hurt, fill in the blank with another example and get over yourself.

Saying this thread is skirting forum rules is just an accusatory way of saying that technically it isn't in violation of any forum rules but you think it should be because your feelings are hurt and you're part of a protected class.

Last edited:

conandan

Can someone answer this question...

When did someone's personal feelings trump another's rights?

It seems to me more and more, government is trampling someone's rights to cater to another's emotion.

EMNofSeattle

I knew you were going to cry about this thread. This is about private property rights, gays are just an example to fill in a blank in the equation. If your feelings are hurt, fill in the blank with another example and get over yourself.

Saying this thread is skirting forum rules is just an accusatory way of saying that technically it isn't in violation of any forum rules but you think it should be because your feelings are hurt and you're part of a protected class.

Hurt feelings are a big deal sir, you are everything that's wrong with America.

Drake, your feelings are taken very seriously here,

please fill out this form and fax it to grape ASAP

Army_f035be_2459026.jpg

EMNofSeattle

Cures? Like abuse them so much that they deny themselves who they are and stay in the closet?

For such a pro-rights crowd, I'm wondering why the disconnect with civil rights in this case.

His post makes no sense, because he on one hand believes homosexuality is entirely voluntary, but on the other hand can be "cured". the only way to "cure" a voluntary behavior is some level of coercion (ie we will kill/arrest/disown/re-educate you)

if that's the case, open carry is a definitely a voluntary behavior, would mr David Macbeth like being "cured" of said behavior...?

davidmcbeth

Banned
His post makes no sense, because he on one hand believes homosexuality is entirely voluntary, but on the other hand can be "cured". the only way to "cure" a voluntary behavior is some level of coercion (ie we will kill/arrest/disown/re-educate you)

if that's the case, open carry is a definitely a voluntary behavior, would mr David Macbeth like being "cured" of said behavior...?

Oh my, those trying to equate RKBA to other causes .... maybe those who feel this way need to fill out the form above