• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado judge orders baker to cater to gays

77zach

http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-orders-colorado-bakery-cater-sex-weddings/story?id=21136505

FUQ:

[In his written decision, Spence ordered that Phillips "cease and desist from discriminating" against gay couples, or face financial penalties, and cited Colorado state law that prohibits businesses from refusing service based on race, sex, marital status or sexual orientation.

"At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses," Spence wrote. "This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are." ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Primus

http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-orders-colorado-bakery-cater-sex-weddings/story?id=21136505

FUQ:

[In his written decision, Spence ordered that Phillips "cease and desist from discriminating" against gay couples, or face financial penalties, and cited Colorado state law that prohibits businesses from refusing service based on race, sex, marital status or sexual orientation.

"At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses," Spence wrote. "This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are." ]

--Personal attack edited--.

Ba doo boom crash. We have a comedian. Not sure what you do work my friend but if its not comedy then your missing your calling. I'm glad I'm in your thoughts.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Freedom1Man

Well if you don't like homosexuality, then don't be a homosexual we were told.

Homosexuality does not harm anyone, unless you don't like it and then the state will harm you.

stealthyeliminator

At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses. This view, however, fails to take into account that gay people's feelings will be hurt, and the government's job is to make sure this doesn't happen.

77zach

Ba doo boom crash. We have a comedian. Not sure what you do work my friend but if its not comedy then your missing your calling. I'm glad I'm in your thoughts.

Kind of hard not to be since you've had 600 posts in a month, whereas I've had 2,000 in 7 years.....

Primus

At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses. This view, however, fails to take into account that gay people's feelings will be hurt, and the government's job is to make sure this doesn't happen.

Stealthy should there still be segregation? Not at schools but in businesses? Honest question.

Primus

Just a serious question. It seems the consesus is private businesses can discriminate based on sexual orientation. So can you replace orientation with race color or creed? I think that's a fair question. I may be wrong, I thought the rule was either your open to the public or your not. If your open to public then you must except anyone. If your private like a club then you can pick whoever you want. Please clarify if I'm wrong

davidmcbeth

Banned
Kind of hard not to be since you've had 600 posts in a month, whereas I've had 2,000 in 7 years.....

I assume he has a bowel obstruction .. on the can alot w/his PC.

Give the guy a break .... 2000 in 7 yrs .. thats a lot of posts ! I guess that's what this site is all about, right?

77zach

Stealthy should there still be segregation? Not at schools but in businesses? Honest question.

By any reasonable definition of freedom, any private business could exclude anyone at anytime for any reason. Of course your question is pretty much a non issue these days; how often does a business owner want to turn away dollars? Not very often at all.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
By any reasonable definition of freedom, any private business could exclude anyone at anytime for any reason. Of course your question is pretty much a non issue these days; how often does a business owner want to turn away dollars? Not very often at all.

+1 Great reply.

Of course, his was not a serious question. It was an antagonistic question designed to ensnare.

He still hasn't explained how he has standing to enforce laws on equals who did not expressly consent to be "governed".

eye95

Just a serious question. It seems the consesus is private businesses can discriminate based on sexual orientation. So can you replace orientation with race color or creed? I think that's a fair question. I may be wrong, I thought the rule was either your open to the public or your not. If your open to public then you must except anyone. If your private like a club then you can pick whoever you want. Please clarify if I'm wrong

Businesses have the right to do business with whom they choose and not to do business with whom they choose not to. The law, unconstitutionally, IMO, prohibits the exercise of the right. Exercising the right to discriminate against a race would be morally wrong, but still a right. Outlawing that discrimination is both immoral and an infringement on a GGONIYP right of association. Discriminating against behavior that violates one's morals is moral.

JMO. Feel free to disagree.

Primus

+1 Great reply.

Of course, his was not a serious question. It was an antagonistic question designed to ensnare.

He still hasn't explained how he has standing to enforce laws on equals who did not expressly consent to be "governed".

It was a very serious question. And I got kind a serious answer in return. 77 replied that yes a business owner should be able to discriminate against race gender creed etc. But this doesn't happen solely because business owners want the money.

I'm still pretty sure its the law that you cannot discriminate like that. Also pretty sure that law was made because there already was discrimination running rampant. Again I could be wrong and am willing to hear the other side.

Freedom1Man

Businesses have the right to do business with whom they choose and not to do business with whom they choose not to. The law, unconstitutionally, IMO, prohibits the exercise of the right. Exercising the right to discriminate against a race would be morally wrong, but still a right. Outlawing that discrimination is both immoral and an infringement on a GGONIYP right of association. Discriminating against behavior that violates one's morals is moral.

Primus, you've got your answers, move along.

Primus

Thank you eye I really appreciate that explanation. That was my impression and I understand it as you've described it.

HPmatt

Don't see anywhere in the Constitution or its Amendments where it requires a citizen to DO anything.

The judge's order violates the 1st amendment unalienable right of the Baker to express his religious convictions by who he chooses to work for. Perhaps the Baker should have taken a different tact - call the couple ****, *****, ******, etc and then they'd Boycott his business. Could perhaps institute a policy to give any gay revenue to the Anti-gay ballot propositions and groups that would bring down a gay boycott of his business.

eye95

Don't see anywhere in the Constitution or its Amendments where it requires a citizen to DO anything.

The judge's order violates the 1st amendment unalienable right of the Baker to express his religious convictions by who he chooses to work for. Perhaps the Baker should have taken a different tact - call the couple ****, *****, ******, etc and then they'd Boycott his business. Could perhaps institute a policy to give any gay revenue to the Anti-gay ballot propositions and groups that would bring down a gay boycott of his business.

I don't know what the ***'s are, but you do have an interesting point. If flat-out discrimination is illegal, just exercise your 1A rights (without the *'s, IMO) to motivate folks doing stuff you believe to be immoral to WANT to go elsewhere. Even though the law says you must serve them, it does not say that you have to allow them to rebut your opinions.

However, I would predict a court battle, where your expressions will be called "effective discrimination," and a whole new set of anti-discrimination laws that violate fundamental rights would result.

Sorry....My thoughts are wandering.