Thread: Enhanced carry

Enhanced carry

Hello all, I have not been on in a while and I see nothing is happening as far as Ms is concerned. I just wanted to share, I took the class and got my enhanced carry today and had a great time with a great instructor. I will be going to apply on my 21 birthday for my CC next week. Thought I would share and hopefully encourage some others to find the time to get it thanks to those pesky no gun signs.
    Criminals donít open carry, most donít wear holsters, none care that you have a No Gun sign up. Good job to all stores who posts signs, all of you have opened yourself to criminals. They now know that you are weak and they will have no resistance in your place of business.

Enhanced carry

I've got mine 😊. Took four weeks to come back.

But I don't think that has precedence over the signs in private property?
    Last edited by XD9_MS; 12-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XD9_MS View Post
    I've got mine 😊. Took four weeks to come back.

But I don't think that has precedence over the signs in private property?
    It does, as long as it's concealed then the sign has no legal teeth however....if they see it they can ask you to leave and you must.
    Criminals donít open carry, most donít wear holsters, none care that you have a No Gun sign up. Good job to all stores who posts signs, all of you have opened yourself to criminals. They now know that you are weak and they will have no resistance in your place of business.

Here, Here!

That is why I IC CC! They can put up all the signs that they want to for it will not stop me. If I am discovered, then they can ask me to leave. Of course, I, and my money, will not return.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGlockisaRedneck0 View Post
    That is why I IC CC! They can put up all the signs that they want to for it will not stop me. If I am discovered, then they can ask me to leave. Of course, I, and my money, will not return.

The way I understand the AG's clarification is that we can be charged with trespass?
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...rsCanCarry.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JDJHNTR View Post
    The way I understand the AG's clarification is that we can be charged with trespass?
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...rsCanCarry.pdf
    I'm assuming you mean "can't" be charged? If you have an IC u can carry regardless of signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocklover20 View Post
    I'm assuming you mean "can't" be charged? If you have an IC u can carry regardless of signs.
    The IC sticker merely removes the posted locations from the list of places where you can be charged with a violation of 45-9-101. It does not address trespass - that's defined elsewhere in the laws.

If you believe the AG opinion JDJHNTR posted, you could still be charged with trespass by carrying on an IC sticker past a 45-9-101 compliant sign. I'm not sure if that's actually likely, as the AG's office issued an opinion last year that contradicted itself trying to define OC as concealment (but not covered under CC laws!), so I have my doubts about how seriously to take the AG...
    Last edited by 4angrybadgers; 02-17-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    The IC sticker merely removes the posted locations from the list of places where you can be charged with a violation of 45-9-101. It does not address trespass - that's defined elsewhere in the laws.

If you believe the AG opinion JDJHNTR posted, you could still be charged with trespass by carrying on an IC sticker past a 45-9-101 compliant sign. I'm not sure if that's actually likely, as the AG's office issued an opinion last year that contradicted itself trying to define OC as concealment (but not covered under CC laws!), so I have my doubts about how seriously to take the AG...
    You may be correct, though I hope not. I was informed by my Instructor that gave me my certificate that it took away any possible trespassing charges from me carrying, that's the same thing the trooper that fingerprinted me said as we'll. If it didn't take away the trespassing it would be pointless because most everyplace on the list I can now carry have no gun signs.

You may be correct, though I hope not. I was informed by my Instructor that gave me my certificate that it took away any possible trespassing charges from me carrying, that's the same thing the trooper that fingerprinted me said as we'll. If it didn't take away the trespassing it would be pointless because most everyplace on the list I can now carry have no gun signs.
    When I read the bill that created "Enhanced Carry" I didn't see any statute changes outside of 45-9-101 and 1-2 other phrases related sections, but I admit I am woefully ignorant of trespass law.
    Last edited by 4angrybadgers; 02-20-2014 at 02:11 PM.

When I read the bill that created "Enhanced Carry" I didn't see any statute changes outside of 45-9-101 and 1-2 other phrases related sections, but I admit I am woefully ignorant of trespass law.
    I just got off the phone with a Sgt. from troop K in Biloxi as we'll as one in Jackson, I was told that the enhanced carry does exactly what I thought, it allows us to carry with our IC past no gun signs without threat if prosecution...and he even gave me a speech on never drawing my firearm unless I plan to shoot, food for thought :-).

I just got off the phone with a Sgt. from troop K in Biloxi as we'll as one in Jackson, I was told that the enhanced carry does exactly what I thought, it allows us to carry with our IC past no gun signs without threat if prosecution...and he even gave me a speech on never drawing my firearm unless I plan to shoot, food for thought :-).
    I highly recommend that you research the laws yourself and never rely on the word of a cop. Cops can be very wrong in their opinions and "knowledge" of the law (as evidenced by numerous threads here on OCDO). If those Sergeants turn out to be wrong, what will your defense be? "Cop so-and-so told me it was ok!" isn't a workable legal defense.

I highly recommend that you research the laws yourself and never rely on the word of a cop. Cops can be very wrong in their opinions and "knowledge" of the law (as evidenced by numerous threads here on OCDO). If those Sergeants turn out to be wrong, what will your defense be? "Cop so-and-so told me it was ok!" isn't a workable legal defense.
    No I'll use our recorded conversation, plus my enhanced carry instructor, and a lawyer. Also I'm not going to get caught.

Does anyone know if the MS "Enhanced" permit give you more reciprocity with other states? Thanks.
    Unfriendly | Neutral | Friendly | OC Friendly

Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

Proud sponsor of OpenCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by 2AFriendly View Post
    Does anyone know if the MS "Enhanced" permit give you more reciprocity with other states? Thanks.
    Not that im aware of

Not that im aware of
    Thank you.
    Unfriendly | Neutral | Friendly | OC Friendly

Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

Proud sponsor of OpenCarry.org

Other benefit about the permit (not necessary the IC) that i discovered recently is that if you buy a firearm from a dealer, you are exempt from the background check. They just take the number for the form and you are ready to go. Nice perk!

Other benefit about the permit (not necessary the IC) that i discovered recently is that if you buy a firearm from a dealer, you are exempt from the background check. They just take the number for the form and you are ready to go. Nice perk!
    The LGS I deal with in Dallas do that too. FFLs also knock $10 off a transfer - they don't have to waste time calling for the background check.
    ďMen live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

The "exempt" just gives the dealer the choice to run it or not, the only dealer to run me since i got mine was academy.

you are not "exempt", just gives the dealer the choice to run it or not, the only dealer to run me since i got mine was academy.

Which in my case they chose not to, so I was exempt of the check

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thumbs up

Hello all, I have not been on in a while and I see nothing is happening as far as Ms is concerned. I just wanted to share, I took the class and got my enhanced carry today and had a great time with a great instructor. I will be going to apply on my 21 birthday for my CC next week. Thought I would share and hopefully encourage some others to find the time to get it thanks to those pesky no gun signs.
    No I'll use our recorded conversation, plus my enhanced carry instructor, and a lawyer. Also I'm not going to get caught.

I have heard talk around town about Mississippi's Enhanced Carry, but the information you have provided in this thread really has enlightened me on this subject. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Even though I just renewed my regular MS Firearms Permit for another five years, I think I'll look into the Enhanced Carry program.

P.S. Since you're a Glocklover, I'll share this tidbit with you. In December I purchased my first Glock pistol (G27 .40 S&W), and I'm already a huge fan of the gun! With the splendid Glock sights and the Crimson Trace Instinctive Grip Laser, I can dang nigh shoot the center of the target out at 7 yards.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

To clarify: the IC allows you to carry in posted areas without threat of prosecution for violation of 45-9-101. However, the owner can still ask you to leave for any reason, including for being armed if they somehow become aware. If you fail to comply, then you can be charged with trespass, an entirely different charge governed by an entirely separate statute. Reference handgunlaw.us:

"ß 97-37-7(2) states that, with a few exceptions, a person with the endorsement may carry weapons in ďany location listed in subsection (13) of Section 45-9-101Ē which would include posted premises. While it is not a violation of the concealed weapons laws to carry in a posted premises it could exceed the scope of the license holderís invitation if s/he knowingly entered the premises in violation of the ownerís instructions. The most appropriate charge would therefore be trespassing. See ß 97-17-97 making such crime a misdemeanor punishable by up to a $500 fine and/or six months in the county jail."
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.