• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Baptist Medical Center South in Jacksonville

spotco2

Long story short, we live in GA but will have to be traveling to Jacksonville for a few weeks at the end of the year. We are going to the Baptist Medical Center South in Jacksonville and will be staying somewhere near by in a hotel most likely.

My wife and I conceal carry daily and have for many years. We both have a Georgia Weapons License. I am somewhat familiar with FL law, but there is a clause about mental health facilities and I think that the hospital has a mental health section.

We will be there for a child birth, so I think we will be in a different part of the hospital, but what to make sure there will not be any issues as long as we conceal deep while there. I don't want any issues while there but also do not feel comfortable leaving a couple of expensive guns in a rental car or hotel all day.

Does anybody have any experience with this hospital and any gun policies or restrictions?

What about the general area of the south side of Jacksonville around the hospital? Fairly nice, safe area or stay somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

notalawyer

Long story short, we live in GA but will have to be traveling to Jacksonville for a few weeks at the end of the year. We are going to the Baptist Medical Center South in Jacksonville and will be staying somewhere near by in a hotel most likely.

My wife and I conceal carry daily and have for many years. We both have a Georgia Weapons License. I am somewhat familiar with FL law, but there is a clause about mental health facilities and I think that the hospital has a mental health section.

We will be there for a child birth, so I think we will be in a different part of the hospital, but what to make sure there will not be any issues as long as we conceal deep while there. I don't want any issues while there but also do not feel comfortable leaving a couple of expensive guns in a rental car or hotel all day.

Does anybody have any experience with this hospital and any gun policies or restrictions?

What about the general area of the south side of Jacksonville around the hospital? Fairly nice, safe area or stay somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Some believe that it is illegal for license holders to carry into a hospital with mental health facilities.
Some believe (correctly, IMO) that license holders are exempt based on the first few words of the statute: "Except as authorized by law . . . " Chapter 394.458, Florida Statutes.
Some believe that the law is ambiguous.

You just have to make your own decision and take your chances - whichever side of the fence you're on.

PS. For the folks that say leave it in the car. Well that's OK, I suppose, but keep in mind that the law applies equally to the parking lot as it does inside the facility. ". . . upon the grounds of such hospital . . . "

Last edited:

spotco2

I'm a pretty firm believer in concealed means concealed.

I just wanted to make sure there are no metal detectors at the entrances, etc.

If asked to leave, then I won't argue with them. I have no plans on anybody ever knowing though.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm a pretty firm believer in concealed means concealed.

I just wanted to make sure there are no metal detectors at the entrances, etc.

If asked to leave, then I won't argue with them. I have no plans on anybody ever knowing though.

If you go through a metal detector slowly enough it will never go off. Now for small amount of metal, like zippers, you can just walk very slow...for a gun, a snails pace...of course you would look odd. lol

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Metal detectors on every entrance? That'd be tough for all the medical equipment that wheels in and out... Not to mention, an expense that doesn't involve golf. Follow the money and stop worrying. ;-)

It's concealed, right?

That's all I'm sayin'...

This alone is a reason why you'd expct Open Carry to be more prevalent, from a logical point of view. How can you enforce something you can't see? Of course, the real point is to keep people from seeing daily examples that prove the media is a pack of liars... Hide the gun, it's a one-sided argument...

Last edited:

j4l

Decent enough hospital, good docs, etc. Had my work on my heart done there a while back.
No metal detectors, it's not a school or airport, after all.
Just deep conceal, and no one should be the wiser.
Staying in that area though... mmm no. Not many places to stay near there, to begin with, and Southside/Arlington areas have become a real stinkhole in recent years.